KiteLife Forum

How to learn 2 lines riding ?

Guy Capra (Alomphega)

Hi there,

I am learning kiting with 4 lines but I am also rapt with wonder by these kind of things made with 2 lines kites :

So my question is pretty simple : how can I learn alone and at my own rythm to pilot 2 lines like this ?

Is there some DVD or at least some books to learn these tricks from the basic beginning ?

Thank you very much for your good advices and links folks,

Guy

Hi Guy, you find a collection of freely available tutorials here...

http://kitevids.com/...ecent/all_time/

--

And some trick tutorials from Randy Greenway...

http://cid-268807a1b...A1B99B3F7C!103/

--

Also, I just completed the first of my own dual line tutorials, more to come on actual flying...

They will be of comparable quality to my Rev tutorials.

--

And, there are also a number of DVDs available on dual line flying from various kite stores. :)

Best thing to do is start inexpensive (about $50) for something durable to crash and familiarize with controls.

Someone may wish to correct me here, but a half-decent trick kite probably starts at around $125 and up, good ones are closer to the $200+ range.

Thank you very much for these links and your advises John !

It is also great to know you begin a new serie of dual lines tuts ! :-D

BTW : I post here some "funny for you" exercises I done with cheap 2 lines.

Even if not mounted upside down this time, but I guess a bit funny to make you laught a bit :)

CU later,

Guy

Guy, I know there are a few different DVDs and VHS tapes available for dual line, but I've not studied any of them myself so I can't comment.

- Catch the Magic by HQ

- Prism Freestyle Pilot How To

- Dodd Gross Flight School

There may be some others too, that our fellow forum members can suggest?

Guy, I know there are a few different DVDs and VHS tapes available for dual line, but I've not studied any of them myself so I can't comment.

- Catch the Magic by HQ

- Prism Freestyle Pilot How To

- Dodd Gross Flight School

There may be some others too, that our fellow forum members can suggest?

I have both the Dodd Gross video and the Prism Video, great filming, very informational, easy to recover techniques!!! Great !!!!:)

Ah, right. These will be in NTSC format. Guy will need PAL versions.

Guy, do you know anyone with a NTSC rig who would let you watch these? I know people in PAL countries sometimes set up a separate system to let them view US material, just as folks in NTSC areas do the opposite so they can watch European DVDs. ( I doubt that they are restricted to Region 1, so it wouldn't be a copyright issue, just the NTSC/PAL difference.)

Alternatively, has anyone contacted the producers of these videos to see if they have (or could make) a PAL version? Maybe they just are not advertised on US sites. I am quite sure that they don't WANT to restrict them from PAL distribution.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for this comment. I have to say I can read NTSC as PAL with my own machines, so it is not a problem.

As you said the problem I think will be a "region 1 vs region 2" version.

But no matter this problem, in fact for the moment I have enough work with the internet links John gave here.

Best regards,

Guy

If you can "read" NTSC, then I really doubt that either the Dodd Gross dvd or the Prism dvd are restricted by region. The first one listed is a VHS tape.

I tried to find them on amazon.fr but got no useful hits on searching for "dodd gross". In addition to the Amazon.com (USA) listings I notice that intothewind.com also sells both of the DVDs.

Kitelife gets a little kickback from Amazon if you buy by clicking on those links, but it may be easier to get foreign shipping from ITW. (Or ask me. I'd be glad to get one or the other and send it to you to try.)(Also, I expect it would be easy enough to ask ITW whether the DVDs are region-restricted.)