KiteLife Forum

Personal Touch 4 Lucy!!

Guru4tru

LUCY (in the sky with diamonds—std. pro fade) was concerned about “Elvira’s” (bk. rainbow—mid-vent) having a “personal touch” and her not having any. I told her that I just wasn’t any good at it and told her that Elvira’s “big black dot” was suppose to be a yin-yang symbol. She thought that was funny, but she still wanted one.

So, we went to the auto parts store and looked through all the decals they had. They had lots of “Fire”, “Chains” & “Skulls” but, she didn’t like those. She finally decided on a Japanese Koi Fish. It’s really pretty and has 28 little gold & blue rhinestones in it that flash light in all directions. She told me that she loved it and that now they can call me the “Rhinestone Kiteboy”! (I don’t know where she got that, I never even saw the movie?!?!) heehee!!

Check It Out!!

Now “Windy” (full-vent pro fade) wants one too!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

LUCY (in the sky with diamonds—std. pro fade) was concerned about "Elvira's" (bk. rainbow—mid-vent) having a "personal touch" and her not having any. I told her that I just wasn't any good at it and told her that Elvira's "big black dot" was suppose to be a yin-yang symbol. She thought that was funny, but she still wanted one.

So, we went to the auto parts store and looked through all the decals they had. They had lots of "Fire", "Chains" & "Skulls" but, she didn't like those. She finally decided on a Japanese Koi Fish. It's really pretty and has 28 little gold & blue rhinestones in it that flash light in all directions. She told me that she loved it and that now they can call me the "Rhinestone Kiteboy"! (I don't know where she got that, I never even saw the movie?!?!) heehee!!

Check It Out!!

Now "Windy" (full-vent pro fade) wants one too!!

You want to know how to get along with women."Give them what they want!"

(Of course the problem is most women don't know what they want!) heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane - You know you're gonna catch hell for that comment!!!smiley-devil.gif

OK....well....That didn't work! heehee!!

The decal came off. I suppose the decal would have to have the same flexibility as the rip-stop and better adhesive.

=================

So back to the drawing board. Who's got a good idea for a small "personal touch" on a kite? What kind of pen does Bazzer use to sign the Pro Kites he sews?? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

What kind of pen does Bazzer use to sign the Pro Kites he sews?? confused_1.gif

I don't know what Bazzer uses, but most that I have seen, have been done with various colors of "Sharpies". They are permanent and will stay in place, for a long long time. Always, "A L W A Y S", do a test "dot" or "mark", in some inconspicuous spot, to test for ink run, but I wouldn't expect that to be a problem on rip stop, as it might be on cotton, or some other natural fiber..............

Now, if you can find all the colors that blow your skirt (Staples has an assortment pack), you've just got to become an artist, but I thought you already had that part covered, so shouldn't be a problem......:blue-confused:

Now if you don't like Sharpies, "Testors" makes what is called a "Paint" pen, but I haven't tried that on fabric, yet. It's basically the same paint, that we used as kids, on model cars, etc, but it's in a nice convenient little pen......(I got black, red, silver, gold, etc)......... I use them for applying ID's on many things, like tools, etc............. works great on most non-porous items, but I don't know about fabric, however, I would think it should do fine, on something like rip stop, but again, TEST first. I know that I got some on a tee shirt by accident, and that shirt has been washed a dozen times since, and the mark is still there. The best thing to do PD (prior disaster), is to go by a fabric shop (Jo-Ann Fabrics or maybe Wally World) and get yourself a yard of rip stop fabric, stretch it out flat and do some paint test. Thats the only way to make sure, before you really screw something up, like a $300+ kite.............IMHO ;)

Lots of people hand paint kites, especially the Rokkakus............Look up kite painting, and get some suggestions there. Try Google. That ought to be a pretty straightforward search..............:) (even for you) :P

Thanks Nick & Pete,

I've decided to check all that stuff out and do it by hand, but with more prep and testing then I did on Elvira's big black dot (yin-yang)! heehee!

But I also realized that I'd be crazy to do this now, when summer is just around the corner and I'll be stuck inside sometimes...and I get "real strange" if I don't have some project to do for too long a period of time. heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane