KiteLife Forum

Wala kite train....How to ?????

string-fly

Have a bunch of Wala's and wanting to put them in train or fly off a single flying line. How is the best way to do it? I have tried a main line with each off of it on a seperate line but just did not work. What would be the best attachment points to run multiple lines to each one. Any suggestions ?? Thanks.

Stringfly <>+++++

post-6016-0-69255600-1300387721_thumb.jp

Have a bunch of Wala's and wanting to put them in train or fly off a single flying line. How is the best way to do it? I have tried a main line with each off of it on a seperate line but just did not work. What would be the best attachment points to run multiple lines to each one. Any suggestions ?? Thanks.

Stringfly <>+++++

I have seen fighter kites flown off of a single main line, and they dart around like mad. They were on 30' of line off of the main line and set well enough apart that the odds of one tangling into the line of the next was small. The problem with Walas would not be that they are so wild, as they need a little pressure on the line or they nose dive. They bob in the wind like a dolphin, but I don't know what would happen if it were the kites themselves and not you hand maintianing the tension. Keep us up on the process.

Tried running a main line thru the cross T and attaching the bridle to it with them about 12 ft apart. Did not really work very well. Then I added a shared

tail to them from a suggestion on the GWTW forum and it worked great. The tail added the needed drag and kept the bottom of the kites down with increased angle of attack and kites were then very stable in train. Thanks for the help everyone.:blue-confused:;)

Stringfly <>++++

Stringfly <>+++++

I have seen fighter kites flown off of a single main line, and they dart around like mad. They were on 30' of line off of the main line and set well enough apart that the odds of one tangling into the line of the next was small. The problem with Walas would not be that they are so wild, as they need a little pressure on the line or they nose dive. They bob in the wind like a dolphin, but I don't know what would happen if it were the kites themselves and not you hand maintianing the tension. Keep us up on the process.

post-6016-0-46100700-1300722404_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

One thing about shared/looped tails: they transfer the drag/weight to the highest kite (or kite attachment point). This is why they work nicely on wide kites. When the kite tilts left, the loop is longer on the right side and shorter on the left, which immediately acts to pull the kite level again. Straight tails/drogues on each side pull equally at all times and lever the kite back to level (or at least balance, depending kite and tail symmetry) and work only by leverage caused by having the attachment point astern of the center of effect of the kite itself. Of course, single tails/drogues on a twin bridle pull hardest on the high side, but pull the sides together to some extent.

I expect that as a shared tail between two kites it would do the same: as a kite rises higher than its companion, it gets a larger share of the drag and weight, pulling it back into line vertically. I don't know what effect it will have on side-to-side movement, though.

I wonder what effect/appearance a series of looped tails would have on a train: a loop between each pair of kites; thus two tail ends attached to EACH kite except the highest and the lowest, which only get one. The top and bottom kites will have less drag/weight than the middle kites, and might need a small extra straight tail to compensate. This might be described as a Festoon Tail, referring to a decorative method which has a long curtain or banner which has multiple attachment points with swags between and a straight hanging part at each end. (A quick search on { festoon } suggests that not all - or even not most - have the straight end pieces, but I still think it a good name.) I expect that the tail material might have to be a bit lighter/less draggy with so much loaded on each kite. I think each loop would have to stay as long as the shared tail above, or it might pull the sterns of the kites together undesirably.

Packing up such a tail at the end of the day might be troublesome.