KiteLife Forum

Making Your Own Kite Lines (How do you do that?)

FYI ... this sleeving how to showed up on another forum. The pictures didn't come up on Firefox, but they did using IE.

Cheers,

Tom

Hey thanks Tom ! That was kool ! Now if we could only get Pete's contribution ;)

I know it's hot, but who else has a 100'+, underground tunnel, to work in :)

• 2 years later...

I started reading.... idk Did i ever reply on the original? I remember reading this... I think you guys got all technical and i got turned off...lol :ani_whistling:

I don't ever make an exact set length. I have a goal yes....but i don't get to precise. I have taken what ive read here and there...and this works for me.. quick and easy.

The second knot...one on each side of the leader before looping pigtail ends.. I do this sometimes.

I have a bad habit of breaking my larksheads with my teeth....so i tear up and replace sleeving on a regular basis.

I should also add, that with the single knot when forming the pigtails,instead of doubles... I have made sets and left them like that... the only problem I had with this was, the sleeving would slide on the line over time and in strong wind/pull situations. Even with knots on both ends of the leader before forming the pigtail.

• Like 1

mystainedskin - do you use bridle line for sleeves? Save the core and make some "quick releases" for the loops! Make about a 2" loop from the core line, double larkshead it to the loop, tie a knot in it making the length you want, then burn the excess! I can change my settings on my Rev in seconds and it makes breakdown a snap! Saves those teeth too! :ani_wallbash:

Absolutely...............Wayne is right. I do the very same thing, but I use short lengths 50 lb LPG line, that I had left over from a former project. I have them on everything with loops. SLK lines, DLK lines, & QLK lines, as well as all of my kite tales, etc, that are attached via Lark's Head knots. Take down is a breeze............... :bye1:

I have done thay before...but not all the time. Depends on if I'm feeling special on that day of line making.

I don't have an issue without them..as fast as I grab the line..they are loose. I use 80# hollow core dacron (fishing) for my sleeving with heavy use ...it just flat wears out at those points over time. I change mine about every 3 months. I do line checks and replace leaders at the same time.

I can stretch out a set of 120's at work no problem.... Walk them down individually ..watching..feeling for flaws.

I flew pretty much daily for no less than an hour over the past year..in harsh beach environment....sand,salt,etc... I usually clean atleast once a week..kite,line,etc.. but the effects are quite harsh. Hell I had the sail crying on 3 months. :) mainly from incorrect wind usage,but you get the picture. I don't fret damage, I try to keep enjoyment and lessons learned on maximum level.

• Like 2

In the long run it holds up quite well.... More from my abuse. The only ones I really replace regularly are my 80 and 120' . They see the most time and harsh circumstances. Also, I have a lot of time on my hands and don't watch a whole lot of the tube.... So on always up to something...leaders, handle leaders..etc..

I flew pretty much daily for no less than an hour over the past year..in harsh beach environment....sand,salt,etc... I usually clean atleast once a week..kite,line,etc.. but the effects are quite harsh. Hell I had the sail crying on 3 months. :) mainly from incorrect wind usage,but you get the picture. I don't fret damage, I try to keep enjoyment and lessons learned on maximum level.

Amen brother - it's just gear!

End of the day, I'd rather have a few retired sails with TONS of good memories in 'em, over crispy kites and "hum drum" stories. :D

• Like 1

Super short lines on a dogstake? :)

Those would have to be realllllllllly short lines!

My sleeving does wear out in time. When it does, I remove it and re-tie the end loops without sleeving them. Every bit of weight reduction is a plus in my book, and I have no problem with the spectra slipping because I use three figure-eight knots in the end loop. By the time the sleeving wears out, the lines are fully stretched and should need no further adjustment. If they do need adjustment, I just tie additional figure-eight or overhand knots, depending on how much the line needs to shortened.

<=8============8==8=----------------------------------------------------------------------------=8==8============8=>

The loops are six to eight inches long. The knots at the tip of the loop make it easier to undo the larkshead.

• Like 1

I am also truly interested now- I fly an average of 10+ hours per week, for the last 2.5 years... I have worn out leaders (twice), bridles, the center loop the bridle attaches to, the LE mesh... I have yet to wear out any of the line sleeving!! None of my sleeved lines have pull tabs either.

I am also truly interested now- I fly an average of 10+ hours per week, for the last 2.5 years... I have worn out leaders (twice), bridles, the center loop the bridle attaches to, the LE mesh... I have yet to wear out any of the line sleeving!! None of my sleeved lines have pull tabs either.

I think that it's got to do, with what that sleeving is made of. There's lots of hollow core, braided line out there, that could be used as sleeving, but all of that line was made, with a specific end use, in mind. Possibly, the sleeving that is wearing out, wasn't intended to be used as sleeving, where it gets rubbed and pulled, etc .....??...... I've got several different quad line sets, all different lengths & different strengths, but 99% of the time, I fly with either my 100' x 90lb, or 100' x 50#, and I have had both of these sets, for a long, long time. And, as you just stated, "I have yet to wear out any of the line sleeving!!" :doh:

I wonder if it could have anything to do with the pigtails, or the bridles, that these sleeved loops are being attached to ? Again, I don't understand what is wearing them out, but either way, I going to try not to lose any sleep over it :ani_sleep:

Teeth... No fingernails here. I think the term wear out maybe be thought of differently by each. Wore out to me..fraying,loose,weave stretched,torn from teeth. Most leaders I have changed were still usable...but preference led me to swap. Either way... The line is still fine and the sleeving did exactly what it was supppsed too.. .protect the line. ;) At the price of what I use...I have made close to a dozen linesets this year..several sets of leaders for handles, resleeve on several sets, suspension rig for camera, general use and pigtails for numerous occasions...and still have some to go. For 10 bucks. Works for me!

This is very, very similar to my experience, and I've probably pushed my kites in harder conditions during that same time.

As was mentioned, sleeving quality and braid may have a lot to do with it.

I tend to use line sets from The Kite Shoppe myself...

They use cored bridle line for sleeving by cutting it to length and pulling out the core, this leaves a very tough, tight braid sleeve behind that has worked the best for me.

I have two sets from the Kite Shoppe, also, and that is a very tough and tight braid, that they use for sleeving. I have made all of my other sets, myself, both dual & quad, and for those, I used a standard sleeving, that I purchased in bulk. I did use a sleeving, that was sized for the size LPG, that I was using. This sleeving was intended to be used as sleeving, so maybe it's different. Still, I've never had one to wear out, granted, I don't fly as much as you, though John. I've heard a lot of people talking about sleeving moving around on them, or bunching up. That's usually due to using a sleeving, that is way too large for the line, and/or, tying off the wrong end first - or that has been my experience............

First of all, thank all of you for your input on making your own lines. I was getting ready to make an order for some custom line sets tomorrow until reading this thread. Now I'm going to order some bulk lines, bulk sleeving material and a sleeving kit and make my own sets. I need a 30' and 50' x 50# sets so I can fly in this darned no-wind area of Montana I live in.

I do have some questions though concerning the stretching process.

1. So I understand you have to cut your lines longer than the desired results (by the way Reef Runner would it be possible to get your excel spreadsheet on line set lengths?)

2. Once the lines are cut, then they have to be stretched.....I understand the why to do this, what I don't understand is how do you attach the lines to your anchor if you haven't sleeved the ends yet. Do you just tie the line to the anchor using a loop you tie in the kite line, or just tie the line around the anchor with granny knots, or ???

3. On the other end of the lines, do you tie them as equally as possible to like a dowel and pull evenly until you get the stretch, and how do you know when you've stretched the lines enough?

4. Finally, once you have sleeved both ends of the lines, do you stretch them one last time before putting them onto your winder?

These are probably easy or silly questions, but If I'm going to attempt to make my own lines, these questions immediately popped into my mind and I couldn't see where they were answered in this thread, or if they were answered, I was to dumb to understand what was being said.

Thanks again for sharing with us newbies!!!! :ani_notworthy:

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

'