KiteLife Forum

Making Your Own Kite Lines (How do you do that?)

Well if yesterday afternoon was any indication, this 350 lb body of mine will be slimming down considerably trying to keep that rev in the air even with 30' lines. One minute there would be a whisper of a breeze, rev would go up, I would smile and then the wind would die! Then this fat body of mine was running backward to keep the darn thing airborne until the next little gust would appear. I'm afraid even with a big breakfast and what John said about 2-stage dinners and energy bars, there is no way I would have the energy to keep that amount of activity up very long. The final humiliation of the day was when I ran backwards into a soccer goal net, ended up on my big butt and this little kid who was watching, indicated a scored goal, while laughing his fool little head off. Good thing he was fast and I was pooped. Anyway, that was the end of the low/no wind flying debacle for this kid. Now, I need to re-adjust my pride, brush off my backside, watch the low wind tutorial about 100 times more, then go give another shot in a few days.....but I will not give up!!!

a bruised and battered mtgrizzly52 :blue_sad:

• Like 3

The final humiliation of the day was when I ran backwards into a soccer goal net, ended up on my big butt and this little kid who was watching, indicated a scored goal, while laughing his fool little head off.

I once ran smack dab into a ground-mounted (immovable) picnic table complete with benches while finishing a 360. :/

360s and/or light wind flying isn't about speed, it's mostly about efficiency, ergonomics and breathing.

For example, most folks can walk to the store at a fairly brisk pace, because they know where they are going, it's familiar, a touch of auto-pilot.

Same thing when doing a 360, instead of running backward, try turning your body sideways so you can walk at least slightly chest-forward, sometimes "flying from your hip"... Maybe even imagine it's that same familiar walk, but you're stretching your back... Make the bubble, fly in it!

Basically, work smarter not harder is SO true in kiting, especially with Revs. :)

• Like 2

One minute there would be a whisper of a breeze, rev would go up, I would smile and then the wind would die!

I remember being struck by how much it felt like fishing, when I first started with my EXP and lacked the meager low wind skills I've learned since.

I'd hall my gear to my favorite spot, reel out my lines, put brightly colored (wind) bait on one end, hold the handles at the other end, and wait patiently for that little tug that meant there was a puff of wind. When it came, I would jerk the handles back for a quick launch, then play them back and fourth trying to keep tension so the breeze wouldn't get away. Each time I hoped THIS would be the one that got the kite high enough off the ground that the breeze would stay hooked. They always got away, but this one time, I hooked a gust that was THIS BIG! :D

• Like 1

I lost 30 lbs within the first year. No changes,no dieting...just kite flying.

OMG, now that sounds like my kind of exercise program!!!

They always got away, but this one time, I hooked a gust that was THIS BIG! :D

*LOL* I can't wait for that moment!!!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

• 2 weeks later...
but as of now....that's not a factor for me.

Ok.. with new kites comes new lines.....like new shoes and socks.

I will do my best to take some more detailed and better photos...and make a post for everyone of the methods I have compiled and use.. instead of a Facebook link. With so many variables involved, I don't know how you would compare them with others unless they were all new/unflown..... but i will let you know if i'm standing next to some one chatting...or feet away shouting next month. :sq-upsidedown:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is 16 pages, 160 posts, the record for a topic on this forum? I was just going to do a little casual review before making a line set from my first purchase of bulk line in many years. There is so much to read here that I set a bookmark to come back later & enjoy it all. In the mean time I will get to work on that quad set I need for my Zen, 50# x 100'. It is a rainy day & a good time to do a few things in the kite shop.

Is 16 pages, 160 posts, the record for a topic on this forum? I was just going to do a little casual review before making a line set from my first purchase of bulk line in many years. There is so much to read here that I set a bookmark to come back later & enjoy it all. In the mean time I will get to work on that quad set I need for my Zen, 50# x 100'. It is a rainy day & a good time to do a few things in the kite shop.

If your intent is very low wind flying, you should consider that the kite must also lift the weight of the line itself. I like the Zen on 50# 80ft, still plenty of window for the big boy, and 20% less line weight and parasitic drag.

Actually I hesitated to even invest in more 50# line. The rough fields commonly available to me are problematic for the light line. 90# seems to be a bit tougher & more snag resistant. The 50# x 100' set decision comes from a recommendation of another flyer. I am trying LPG for this set to see if it performs better than some other brands I've used. After a long time of flying short lines, even down to 18', I now seem to be migrating back toward longer sets. I am even pondering 150' & 200' sets for some of the larger sails. Most of the time my choice of length is dictated by the space available or my mood. I have plenty of line left on my bulk spool so it may be a good idea to consider an 80' set to see if I can tell the difference. Not really trying to fly the Zen in very light wind. Lately I love flying the Sky Burner Pro Dancer SUL in wisps of nothing.

• Like 1

Thanks to Nick (Reef Runner) for the detailed 'how to' instructions with pics!

I broke a line on a 120' quad set and thought this would be a good excuse to make a 50' set. E guitar string, black/ white Shanti sheathing, and with Nicks help I have a 50' set made! I opted for 12" sheathing but would go with 15" next time as used by Reef Runner to end up with a little longer finished loops.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

First post as a newbie, both in forum and kiting. I apologize if this topic does not belong here. OK, here goes...

Last weekend some RC racing cars were trying to jump newbies' quad lines at the beach. (We walked a great distance to be far away from people but still!) Dylan was able to relaunch his kite promptly to avoid them, but poor Cardin ended up in a tangle mess! It got worse when the guy frantically revving his engine to get away despite mom and kids' yelling "Stop...stop...! I was able to secure the kite while Cardin held onto his handles to prevent further damage. However, our 90# 120 ft quad line set got cut at 1/3 of its length. 

I already made a 40 ft quad set from that end. Can the kids use it to fly urban or it has to be 30 feet? Thanks.

• Like 2

Indeed @P.V. Nguyen - there really is no wrong length... Since we have urban clinics together soon we can have the boys try both 30' and 40' to feel the differences, it'll be easy enough to adjust for taste. ;) 

Worst case, 40' cut down makes approximately a 30' set (urban) and 10' set (indoor).

Yes... sir... Dad.... I got creative from all John taught.....My take away was the envelope is  wide open, I'm even on a work out with an older Rev  on ten footers ... helps with the arthritis......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P.V. Nguyen said:

First post as a newbie, both in forum and kiting. I apologize if this topic does not belong here. OK, here goes...

Last weekend some RC racing cars were trying to jump newbies' quad lines at the beach. (We walked a great distance to be far away from people but still!) Dylan was able to relaunch his kite promptly to avoid them, but poor Cardin ended up in a tangle mess! It got worse when the guy frantically revving his engine to get away despite mom and kids' yelling "Stop...stop...! I was able to secure the kite while Cardin held onto his handles to prevent further damage. However, our 90# 120 ft quad line set got cut at 1/3 of its length. 

I already made a 40 ft quad set from that end. Can the kids use it to fly urban or it has to be 30 feet? Thanks.

I'm going to say by reading the first statement, "newbie-forum-kiting"

Flying a multi-linked kite per-say, is to learn how to fly/control it far far away from places where many people may appear in a very short time.

In this case it was an rc vehicle vs. tethered aircraft, per say, but, one has human power, the other has electric power and controlled through radio wave, inputs. Who has the right of way? Who is responsible for the other persons damage?

It's best to find a very private place to learn to fly kites. A set of 120' quad-lines is too nice of an item to vanish right before your eyes!

Agreed ... good sportsmanship is a quality to seek in others, as for others who disrespect through their actions... one can only say stay clear..... as a ship at sea always give right of way to avoid collision... in the case of kite practice... find a secluded beach.

• 2 years later...

First of all..abandon the imperial system and use meters. 😉 it’s much easier.

Buy a spool of LPG or similar, plant a stake in you flying field, unroll the line walking backward  and count your steps. One step is roughly one meter. Or you can be more precise and actually precisely measure your step or the line with a long measuring tape. 

Repeat the process again for a quad set, making sure you check all 4 before tightening the knots  

My standard has been so far: 45 meters for team / Pair flying. You want all the sky. 

35 meters for single flying comp. 

30 to 20 meters for trick flying. I rarely fly shorter than that. 

Once unrolled the spool on one hand and the line in the other you should have 2 lines ready to be cut at the ground stake and at the spool of course. Hold the ends together with a simple knot , cut at the stake. You have 2 equal lines.

I use old bridle line for sleeving, I cut 4 equal pieces and sleeve them in at each end better if you have 2 colors. Tie your loops and you should be good to go  make sure to check from time to time if they are still equal. It depends on which side you pull more often tricks  

Edited by PaoloM
Addition.
  • Like 1

the knot to eliminate sleeving entirely is called the figure of eight, (actually it's "double stranded").  This knot tightens in both directions, so before that final application of tension is done, you'll flip half of the 8 over itself and pull all of the slack out in the direction AWAY from the loop end.  Use a pair of forceps to hold the position where you want that knot to be finally located.  Build it close to your final destination.  PRACTICE

FIRST though, place a stopper knot into that single strand.  I go twice around and back thru, pull it tight.  Next apply an overhand knot using both strands ( or sides of the knot just placed).  That knot can slip,.. good you want it to move all the way down tight against those two over passed wraps.  Next, you place a figure of eight knot just slight away from the end -point (3/8").  This is to form a finger grab release point, working even with gloves!

Now you close off that single stand, (holding the stopper knot perfectly centered) between the 2 strands as you tie a figure of eight again, to close off the Loop.  The knot can fall anywhere along the two strands.  The important aspects to remember are to keep it the stopper knot centered & to make the lengths of your loops "oversized" as you can only shorten the longer lines, there's no untying for adjustment.

One less thing to tangle, unless you place your fingers onto the sleeving when flying dualies, there's no purpose at all.  I haven't used it in 20 years, never had a failure yet.  I fly one-hand and flail violently w/both on quads also most exclusively, using string from 50# to 170# depending on conditions.