KiteLife Forum

HelpingOthersCard 4 HearingImpared

Guru4tru

Hi,

I mentioned in one of my last post about the difficulty I had at the Kitty Hawk Kite Festival with all the people that were trying to ask me questions about my kites...especially the Revs. and I can't communicate well. John and I thought it would be good if I came up with some sort of card I could hand them that could direct them to the answers they are looking for. Yeah...Yeah...it's sort of "impersonal"...but at least they will know where to go to get the information. And any of you who have tried to communicate with me will certainly say, "Yeah...It's better if Duane gives them a card!!" heehee!!

So, I figured (this being the "OFF TOPIC" area) I'd just post my first rough draft and let anyone who has suggestions as to how to improve it or what addition resources I might add to cover things better to past them on to me.

===============================================

First draft:

Hello...My name is Duane and I am DEAF...please give me some money so I can buy more kites!!

(heeheehee!!---Just Kidding!!) :sign_kitelife:

===============================================

Hello Friend!

Let me mention…I’m mostly deaf…and I don’t “sign”--- [Advice: Never stand beside a land mine when it explodes…heehee!!]

I started kiting after I retired and I love to fly kites and my wife and I go around to different places to fly them! When I fly I see people that are interested in kiting and often have a lot of questions about the kites I fly and other aspects of kiting in general. So, because I can’t communicate well, I came up with this card to help to direct them to some of the best kiting resources I’ve found. These online sites will be able to answer any questions that one might have about kites and/or kiting in general…including listings of others kite flyers and locations of the many Kite Festivals that are held around the country each year.

www.kitelife.com --- www.revkites.com --- www.aka.kite.org

......................(back side of card)..................

I fly single line, dual line and quad line kites. The single line kite I usually fly is a Gomberg SKYFORM60 (but, there are many, many other fine single line kite makers and all sorts and sizes of single line kites). There are also so many different kinds of dual line kites that I won’t even try to mention any of them here, but you can check them out for yourself online. And I also fly quad (4 line) kites. They are made by, and called, Revolution...Revs for short!

If you are interested in flying any of these I'll be happy to teach you how...I'll do most of the talking! heehee!

And if you have any remaining questions, as you check out these online sites, feel free to contact me at dbeitmen@aol.com and I’ll be happy to answer them, if I can, or point you to where you can find the answers.

Keep It Up!

Duane

================================

So, what do y'all think? Maybe, too many words....Maybe just stop it after the site are listed... :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

You might consider printing the first part on one side, and the part after the site listings on the other side. That would let you keep the type size a bit bigger.

Also I would make the "any" in boldface or italics rather than in quotes. Same with Revolution and Revs.

Great idea. I may have to do something similar - I'm getting deafer every year.

The idea of cards is great ... even for the hearing enabled. I'm always trying to explain how to get more info ... via IKE, REV, KiteLife forums. Having a business type card in my kite bag to "supplement" my arm waving would be a positive addition.

How about coming up with a generic side to the card that all of us could use?

Cheers,

Tom

The idea of cards is great ... even for the hearing enabled. I'm always trying to explain how to get more info ... via IKE, REV, KiteLife forums. Having a business type card in my kite bag to "supplement" my arm waving would be a positive addition.

Cheers,

Tom

Yeah...That's probably a better idea then all my personal BS. I can just mention my hearing loss and tell them here's an information card that can direct them to everything they might want to know about kites and/or kiting. I think that would be better and a lot simpler and to the point!

I suppose all I'd really need would be a few web sites listed:

Kitelife

Revkites

AKA

What else might be important? They can get kite shops at these sites from their sponsors, clubs from their listings, any questions answered in the forums...what wouldn't be at these sites that might need to be added? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 1

Cheers,

Tom

Yeah...That's probably a better idea then all my personal BS. I can just mention my hearing loss and tell them here's an information card that can direct them to everything they might want to know about kites and/or kiting. I think that would be better and a lot simpler and to the point!

I suppose all I'd really need would be a few web sites listed:

Kitelife

Revkites

AKA

What else might be important? They can get kite shops at these sites from their sponsors, clubs from their listings, any questions answered in the forums...what wouldn't be at these sites that might need to be added? confused_1.gif

Keep It Up!

Duane

Actually, What Duane has put together is pretty good for anyone. Leave out the deafness and communications issues from the first side (unless you are also a bit deaf).

Duane, I wouldn't completely leave out the information about your deafness - it explains why you can't directly communicate while flying. You depend on lip-reading and can't do that while watching the kite.

Then personalize the flip side to match the kites YOU fly, and the extent that you are willing to communicate to help a new, interested flier.

I like it. (Oh, and responding to the first post: you thought enough of the questioner to design and print a card just for them. That's personal, to my thinking.)

OK...I'll sit back for awhile and see if any other suggestions come in and then run with the Deaf Guy Draft! heehee! I know the "Center Stage" of the last festival will probably never happen again (I got my 15 minutes of fame) but I can use the card in my regular flying too...sometimes I have had to go to my truck to write things down for some people that have been interested...especially after a little air time! heehee! :kid_content:

EDIT: Oh yeah...I forgot to mention I'd teach them how to fly them, (I made the changes above). And yeah...maybe a picture of Elvira and Sundancer doing their mating ritual...that'll attract people!! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Check It Out!

I made up a “sample” card. I decided not to go with any pictures in the background, that would be nice, but that would require going through a print shop and this I can print out on card stock on my computer printer. I used “Comic Sans MS” font, because that’s my favorite font---“Comic”! The size of the card is the same as your standard post card. The only thing I might change is they have card stock, I think, with a blue sky & clouds floating across it.

I had to mention that I “don’t sign”; you’d be surprised how many people know how to “sign”. I tell people I can’t hear and their hands start doing all sorts of things. Even when I first met John, he started to give me “signs” (no, he didn’t give me the finger—he didn’t know me that well then! heehee!) I’m too lazy to learn “sign” and I think learning to fly the Rev. was the last effort that this old brain has in it. Anyway, “today” I figure I can just “text” back and forth if I wanted to!

I did mention that Martin, who designs and sells kites http://www.martinblaiskites.com/ , helped me communicate with a person that was “very” interested in buying a kite just like my SKYFORM60, so here’s Martin telling him all about my “Gomberg” kite for me…I’m sure he will think this is a great idea! heehee!

-----------------

So, if you see anything that you think will improve it, please tell me! There is no problem in adding, subtracting or changing some things around.

(FRONT)

Hello Friend!

Let me mention…I’m mostly deaf…and I don’t “sign”……

[Advice: Never stand beside a land mine when it explodes…heehee!]

I started kiting after I retired and I love to fly kites. My wife and I

enjoy going around to different places to fly them. When we do, I see

people that are interested in kiting and often have a lot of questions

about the kites I fly and other aspects of kiting in general. So, because

I can’t communicate well, I came up with this card to help to direct

them to some of the best kiting resources I’ve found. These online sites

will be able to answer any questions that one might have about kites

and/or kiting in general…including listings of others kite flyers and the

locations of the many Kite Festivals that are held around the country

each year.

www.kitelife.com --- www.revkites.com --- www.aka.kite.org

(BACK)

I fly single line, dual line and quad line kites. The single line kite I

usually fly is a Gomberg SKYFORM60 (but, there are many, many other

fine single line kite makers and all sorts and sizes of single line kites).

There are also so many different kinds of dual line, or stunt, kites that

I won’t even try to mention any of them here, but you can check them

out for yourself online. And I also fly quad (4 line) kites. They are made

by, and called Revolution or Revs for short! If you are interested in

flying any of them I’ll be happy to teach you…I’ll do the talking! heehee!

If you have any remaining questions, as you check out these online sites,

feel free to contact me at dbeitmen@aol.com and I’ll be happy to

answer them if I can, or point you to where you can find the answers.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Keep It Up!

Thanks,

Duane

• Like 1

I think it's really great, simple, effective, and very YOU. :kid_content:

John, I don't know why I had to laugh so much after reading your comment...I can't explain why it's strikes me as being so funny...I guess it is "very ME"! But, I have no idea what that is!! heeheehee!!

Yeah Pete...I spent a year and a half b.itching and moaning about having no one locally to fly with...Well, no more of that! If there isn't anyone around here to fly with...then it's my fault! And my responsibility to change that too! (If only this community park would allow me to set up my free beer stand! heehee!)

Back to the Masters!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 1

I don't want to belabor this, because most of what I'm dealing with here is highly personal and few other kiters have to deal with it...except:

I do think that every kiter should pass on as much information to as many people as they can...that's where kiting is really going to gain the most...from the grass-roots...from you and I passing on kiting to others. When I fly and talk with others..... "I am KITELIFE!"

But, there is one other thing that really bothers me and I have to fix it...I don't like this because I don't think of my self as being handicapped. What I lost in the area of hearing, I picked up in the area of insight and intuitiveness, (which is often the case with any loss, we just function differently).

But what bothers me a lot is..."How many people were off to my side or behind me asking me questions, trying to get my attention or talking to me...and I just ignored them?" There isn't much that upsets me and/or others, instantly, more than talking to someone and they just ignore you and don't even acknowledged their presence! One "snub"...can ruin a persons day...or week, for that matter!

So, I'll have to put up a little sign or tag my shirt or something, so I'm not offending people. Maybe, it will read, "Deaf & Dumb"...no, that's no good I can talk...How about "Deaf & Stupid!!" heeheehee!! That's funny!!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

How about: "If I don't answer, catch my eye. I have a hard time hearing people." Or: "... I don't hear very well."

Or: "I'm not ignoring you. I just don't hear very well."

That clearly explains the situation, and also pretty clearly is not asking for anything, which is what publicly declaring something like deafness sometimes is.

Duane, have you ever read this?

http://www.kitelife....l32/content.php

Ray Bethell, one of the most famous kitefliers in the world, is also deaf. :kid_content:

Also, this fantastic video...

Look for the "CC" (closed captioning") button if you'd like text...

post-1-0-61863800-1302548577_thumb.png

It's not perfect subtitling, but it's enough. :blue-cool:

WOW!! What a guy! Thanks for sharing that John!

Some people are truly amazing and Ray certainly is Bigger Then Life to me! I'm surprised he could get so great when he didn't start till he was in his 50's...well...I surprised anyone can fly like that!

Ray and I have 2 things in common...we love kiting and we "see" things others might not! heehee! But as for talent...heeheehee!! that's funny!!...but, then I've never tried to fly 3 Revs at one time yet...maybe tomorrow!! heehee!!

Thanks Again!

Keep It Up!

Duane

WOW!! What a guy! Thanks for sharing that John!

Some people are truly amazing and Ray certainly is Bigger Then Life to me! I'm surprised he could get so great when he didn't start till he was in his 50's...well...I surprised anyone can fly like that!

Ray and I have 2 things in common...we love kiting and we "see" things others might not! heehee! But as for talent...heeheehee!! that's funny!!...but, then I've never tried to fly 3 Revs at one time yet...maybe tomorrow!! heehee!!

Thanks Again!

Keep It Up!

Duane

I'll keep the scissors handy!!!! smiley-devil.gifsmiley-devil.gifsmiley-devil.gif

I don't know if I'd ever be interested in getting involved in anything like this, but with kiting being such a visual sport and so well fitted for the hearing impaired...does anyone know of any kiting programs that have been set up in any of the schools for the hearing impaired.

Of course with everything being computerized and everyone texting instead of talking anymore anyway, I suppose their lives are probably just as full as anyone else's today; and like a lot of kids...they'd probably be just too busy to get into serious kiting too! heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

You would need a kite-flyer and a kite-knowledgable signer, or someone who is both, although I think a kite-flyer/signer would "have his hands full" so to speak.

I think a team like that would be instantly welcome at any school or program devoted to hearing-impaired children.