KiteLife Forum

Is there anything more rewarding?

jaybett

The winds were very light coming out of the north at Delta Park. The flag on the east side of Delta Park wasn't even moving.

You ever have those moments when you wonder if its you or the kite?

My bag is full of wonderful kites thanks to Theresa at the Kite Shoppe. I just can't tell her no. I practice at home and then go into the shoppe and buy something. What can I say, I'm weak.

I decided to try another kite, then my favorite light wind kite, the Pro Dancer SUL. In the forums Prism Kites seem to have lost some of their luster among the serious flyers.

I've never met Mark Reed or the fine folks at Prism, but from what I've read they have to be a smart, talented and hard working bunch. All their kites are very well thought out and made. It's just a hunch, but I think Prism is correctly labeling the skill level of their kites. Other kites that claim to be intermediate to advanced have been easier to fly. So, I've held on to my Prism kites thinking that as I improve as a flyer, I'll appreciate them more and more.

I brought out the Ozone. The first few launches were okay, but I quickly crashed. The Ozone needs a lighter touch then the Pro Dancer. Once I adjusted to the kite, I was able to keep it in the air.

There is something magical about light wind flying. Considering I couldn't even do it, just a few short months ago. It still has that new toy feel. It's almost like dancing, moving back and forth, trying to follow the kites lead.

As I got more accustomed to my so called dance partner, the kite became floaty doing nice side slides and snap stalls. I was really getting into it, when it got dark. There is never enough time.

The Ozone was a lot of fun and I look forward to getting some more time on it.

Jay

When do we stop taking cheap shots and start talking about the tings we like and don't like in a pure and honest way?

I happen to like Marks kites allot, but my bag is not full of prism kites. I have a wide range of kites and they give me great joy. I really only own one prism at this time (The Quantum). I hope to fix that problem soon, but I do have some New Dodd kites to buy (New line) :cat:;)

I really wanted to try the HQ Floater, but could not find a real review on the kite.

It is as if the kite was not taken seriously. Since looking at the Floater I have looked at some other low wind kites and after allot of reading I found that the CDC STX 1.8 is the best kite for me, however this kite is in the neighborhood of $200.00. I read on and found the NTK Desire fit my needs at a price that was cool. I had been talked out of the Flashlight (It was cheaper). I still have not bought the Desire, but I need it BAD. As of now my Hornet is my low wind fun. Fun Fun Fun, just as long as you have wind of 2mph or more.

When do we stop taking cheap shots and start talking about the tings we like and don't like in a pure and honest way?

Why do I feel like I'm missing somthing?

I'm very excited about flying in light winds, because a month ago, I couldn't do it. John Barresi wrote an article, "Milking the Wind". It provided the final piece of the puzzle for me. As an added bonus, John demonstrated a few points of the article at a fun fly, which was very helpful.

While John's article and demo were the key in unlocking light wind flying. I'd be remiss, if I didn't also point out that our local expert give me a lot of tips, which I practiced.

Light wind flying is about technique and touch. I've had a sneaking suspicion that Prism kites reward technique and touch more then other types of kites. So are my skills advanced enough to take advantage of a Prism Kite?

I've got a Ozone in my bag. It's got a reputation on the forums as being a good kite, but that there are better UL's, to be had.

It took me two or three attempts to adjust to how the kite wants to be flown. Once I did I had a lot of fun with the kite.

I think what gets overlooked is that Prism kites are designed for free style flying. My understanding of free style are kites designed to be tricky while maintaining some precision. The current trend is just the opposite, precision kites that trick.

Precision kites are easier to fly, therefore more popular. Freestyle kites require a light touch.

When I got the Ozone a year ago, I could hardly feel it at the end of the lines. Yesterday I had no problem feeling the Ozone and having a good idea what it wanted to do.

The breakthrough on light wind flying allowed me to check out my suspicion about Prism Kites. A kite that was lanquishing at the bottom of my bag, I now appreciate and look forward to flying.

To sum up this overly long post. Light wind flying is rewarding because its almost magical. It just doesn't seem right to have a kite flying in next to no wind. I learn more about flying in light winds and can apply that knowledge to other kites. That's why I titled this Post "Is there anything more rewarding?"

Jay

I just recently started flying a Rev Indoor for two reasons, was tired of sitting in no wind waiting, and I wanted to have a broader knowledge of indoor/SUL kites to help others who were inquiring (well, a third reason is that Penny has soo much darn fun with it).

Just recently we were able to attend the KTAI show here in Nevada. I was really looking forward to the fly day on Thursday morning because the wind has been excellent all week long. To many peoples disappointment, the fly day came and the wind didn’t. If you can picture about 75+ people all standing around in a parking lot, kites set up, anticipation running high, excitement and smiles, but nothing would fly.......except the SUL kites.

PKC and AVIA put on a light wind demonstration for the entire morning. Sure there were a couple other attempts at putting something in the air but they all failed miserably or were very short lived. The SUL kites were in the air until the pilots wore themselves out and decided to put them down. Everyone stood and watched and I am sure many felt the same frustration that I was feeling, a feeling of being cheated, not being able to fly, not being able to enjoy the same passion that they were obviously relishing in. They had the entire flying field all to themselves while they displayed the abilities they have mastered and the kites they have created (and did so with 75 or so spectators for an audience). I was amazed as much as I was flustered.

Some kites may perform better than others, but each kite will have its own personality and like people, some personalities will always clash with others. Don’t be to quick to blame the kite if it doesn’t perform the way you want it to. It might just be you. Last year I watched Mark from Prism do things with his E2 that I could only dream of doing...and even flying the same kite with his help right behind me I still couldn’t do most of them (got some priceless pointers tho). I can honestly say that the E2 can do any trick in the book and will do them smoothly and flawlessly (but only with the right pilot at the controls). Maybe the kite didn’t like me, maybe there is another kite out there that would fall in love with me and make me look good? Maybe I will improve enough that the E2 will be more tolerable of me. Either way I am sure I will be enjoying the learning process.

As John as mentioned above, it sounds like someone is in love, they have found a kite that matches their flying style and are enjoying it to the fullest. It’s not about having the best kite, not about doing the most awesome routine, not about flawless tricks being performed in massive repetition without flaws....its all about letting the rest of the world fade away into a distant memory as you become the only person on earth flying your kite.

Jaybett, sorry you had to come back to reality when the sun went down but I know that you will be gone again the next chance you get.

Jay, I have a habit of coming off harsh, but I really thought you took some cheap shots at "The Other Guy".

On a positive note: I do appreciate the information about the Ozone (Another kite I was talked out of). I was told that the Ozone would be as you described before adjusting it. Even knowing all of this, however, I would still opt. for the STX 1.8. The price of both kites are about the same, but the STX seems to be more up my ally.

When adjusting my kites I go straight to the lowest wind setting and then come up from there. I don't often have to come back very far with the adjustment before I'm happy. Flying a 3-25 mph kite in 2 mph winds is a blast. I found the Quantum to be great for this, but a bit more work than I thought it would be.

I just hope we can dry out up here this month. I want to fly all my new kites without bringing home all of the mud from the field.

Mario,

Give it a rest, will ya?

Quit trying to read between the lines.

I read the same thing you did. I happen to own the kites he mentioned, and I didn't see any "bashing" there at all.

Jaybett had one of those great days, when things just click and it's like magic. The help he got, a great kite, the right wind, and even the right state of mind came together for him.

It's times like that that kite junkies live for. Let him enjoy it for a bit. ;)

Jaybett,

Welcome to the addiction!

I promise, there won't be any side effects other than wanting to do it over and over.

I wore the leading edges clear off of my first Ozone. A couple of bridles too. Loved every minute of it. :cat:

Take care,

Take flight!

Don

I can see that I read too many threads and took it out on this one, but this thread dose have a line in it that prompted my original reply. I admit that it is yet one line and tame as they come, but I think it is how some of the kite separatist come to be and it fuels a higher level of negativity.

I agree that I might have picked a better thread to Blurt Out that question Don, or maybe I should have just opened my own thread somewhere (no BUTs, or HOWEVERs).