KiteLife Forum

Extreme Weather in SE

--Pete

I hope all is well with members (and all kite flyers) in the SE US today. I know Nick (Reef Runner) is near the affected area.

It's hard to figure what we might do to help from a distance, but you all should know that we are thinking about you.

I hope all is well with members (and all kite flyers) in the SE US today. I know Nick (Reef Runner) is near the affected area.

It's hard to figure what we might do to help from a distance, but you all should know that we are thinking about you.

Hey Pete,

Thanks for thinking of us. It was indeed, a terrifying day. Yes, the largest tornado system, that stayed on the ground for over 150 miles, and went directly through downtown Raleigh, NC (we watched it on TV as it was happening). Thank goodness, that one went just below us. Another one went just to the north of us, and numerous others, passed all around the area. The destruction in NC is historic. North Carolina, has never seen this type of destruction, as this tornado system passed through many heavily populated areas. We (me personally) were awfully lucky, and we definitely dodged the "Proverbial Bullet".

Of course, (here) we had some very strong winds, heavy rain, and quite a bit of hail, but no real severe damage, just mainly trees down, limbs & debris. I feel so sorry for the people that lost there homes & businesses & lives. The death toll is mounting. Many people, very close by, lost everything they own. It is just so hard to believe the amount of devastation, that we are seeing on the local news stations, this morning. The local weather guy out of Raleigh, that was on the air yesterday, worked in Texas for 10 years, prior to coming to WRAL TV-5, in Raleigh. He said that this event, was something like you expect to see, out in the plains, in "tornado alley", Texas, Oklahoma, etc, but definitely not here NC. They (the TV broadcasters) were almost at a loss for words, as they tracked this huge system, and filmed one of the larger tornadoes, coming directly at them. It actually went directly over the station, spared them, and then continued to tear it way through downtown Raleigh. They actually evacuated the TV station, of all personnel, that weren't absolutely necessary, to continue the broadcast. As for us, I'm about 35 - 40 miles NE of Raleigh, and of course, the storms were moving NE, so scary afternoon, yes indeed. Thankful and fortunate once it passed, yes indeed. When everything was popping around here, I thought about your (Pete's) tunnel, and what a safe place that would be, at a time like this. I just hope we don't have anything like that again, anytime soon. It will take along time for some of the areas to recover. Clean-up is going to be endless, but it'll happen, one way or the other. I can say one thing for sure, when it was all over, and the sun reappeared, first I said a prayer of thanks, because someone was definitely watching over us, and then, "Miller Time" came a little early, but it was actually "bourbon", yesterday. My nerves were shot !

Again, thanks for checking on us...............nick

PS....................NCREVR and nckiter are also close by, and both were likewise in extremely dangerous locations. NCREVR is from over near Wilson, which was hard hit, and nckiter is in Apex, just below Raleigh, another hard hit area. I do hope that both of them made it through, ok............

Nick ~ Glad to hear from you and hoping all is well with our extended family... my thoughts are with all who suffered through this disaster.

Puts our crumby cold and overcast, but safe, Wisconsin weather in true perspective!

PS....................NCREVR and nckiter are also close by, and both were likewise in extremely dangerous locations. NCREVR is from over near Wilson, which was hard hit, and nckiter is in Apex, just below Raleigh, another hard hit area. I do hope that both of them made it through, ok............

Pete, John, Wayne, & Jynx,

Thanks for the concern........

I just heard from nckiter (Kip), and he is all ok..............

also

NCREVR (Lee), who is over on the Rev Forum, is also ok.

We all had very close calls, but it seems that somehow, we all made it through........lucky, very very lucky & blessed !

Again, thanks to all for the concern..............nick

Another entry in Jeff Masters' blog, with good explanation and comparison (this was a BIG one) with other tornado outbreaks.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1784

It includes a video made by a man sitting in his car, calmly talking to (his wife?) as a tornado comes straight over his car as he records it.

Been off the computer 'cuz we're slowly working our way home from vacation. Glad to know that fellow kiters are all okay.

Once had an opportunity to move to Raleigh. Went so far as to go home hunting, so understand the problems with tornadoes in that area. No self-respecting mid-westerner would own a house without a basement ... couldn't understand why many houses in that area didn't have basements. We've spent quite a few storms down in the basement waiting out the warnings. Been through three tornadoes that went within a few miles of us.

Again, thanks for the good news.

Cheers,

Tom

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to add to this. I know it's old, but it's relevant in light if recent events in the Midwest. We love a sport that relies on the wind for maximum enjoyment. However, when that wind gets strong it can really destroy things, least of all kites. My thoughts and prayers are with the people in and around Oklahoma City. I don't know if any of our kite friends are out there, but I hope all are well.

• Like 1