KiteLife Forum

First ever flight

fearme

Wow first flight took me 1 hr to get it up in the air once lolz omg... not as easy as it looks first off it took me a long time to untangle the darn thing then i spent about 20 min just to get it in the air, once in the air i had about 20 sec flight time before it came crashing down.. Is anybody in the toronto, ontario area which can lend a hand teach me a thing or 2.

Sorry, gotta ask first... Dual line or quad line? :P

Hey John,

I'm pretty sure, based on "fearme's" previous post, that he is talking about quad line (Rev SLE) confused_1.gif

Ref: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/4146-rev-exp-or-sle-for-a-first-timmer/page__view__findpost__p__27394

Hey "fearme" that's Great!! My first shots at it never lasted that long. heehee! My Rev. would just lift off the ground...turn to the right...and crash!! Over and over and over again! I was a "dualie" flyer...and the Rev. sure wasn't a dualie! heehee!!

The thing I found most important in the beginning was that I'd normally try to take off with the Rev. facing up, like so I could read "Revolution" properly, but it usually crashed every time upside down (inverted), so getting it back facing up for another take-off, with out having to walk up to it every time, was the first thing I had to learn. You might already know how to do it, but I'll mention it anyway. When the Rev. is in the inverted position just tighten the lines up and with ,one hand or the other, jerk the lower part of that one handle to the rear and downward a couple times and the Rev. will lift up on that end and turn over to the upright position for my next take-off and crash. heehee! That was the first Rev. trick I learned!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

& Keep us informed as to how it's going!

Duane

Yah i got fed up with it after the first hr, i'll try again trm hopefully it's more windy. The lines where all tied up when i unrolled it is there a better way to do this.?Its quad line by the way.

Hey fearme...............check out these tutorials by JB

Line Management

Assembly/Disassembly

Oh yeah, and what John said above....................

Yah i got fed up with it after the first hr, i'll try again trm hopefully it's more windy. The lines where all tied up when i unrolled it is there a better way to do this.?Its quad line by the way.

Yes!...on the "Wind"! I think that every new Rev. kite that gets sent out should have this advice on it: "If just starting out, wait until you have a good wind!" There is nothing more frustrating then taking your first flight experiences in a wind that can barely lift the Rev. off the ground. The difference between a good wind and one not so good is like night and day!

In the beginning I wrapped my lines on two separate winders, I think "SV" still does, but I don't recommend it because it takes twice as long and you'll just probably have to learn JB's way later. It the best way I know of and takes no time at all "once" it is understood. As I have mentioned in other post, one of the great things about the Rev. is that once you learn something, from line set up to inverted hovers, it's yours and it never has to be re-learned again.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Aye, while you can overcome with continued work, it'll really take at least 4mph of wind to will allow rapid growth.

Don't give up though... On light wind days, work on the "little details" like problem-free line winding and assembly techniques. :P

I

Yes!...on the "Wind"! I think that every new Rev. kite that gets sent out should have this advice on it: "If just starting out, wait until you have a good wind!" There is nothing more frustrating then taking your first flight experiences in a wind that can barely lift the Rev. off the ground. The difference between a good wind and one not so good is like night and day!

In the beginning I wrapped my lines on two separate winders, I think "SV" still does, but I don't recommend it because it takes twice as long and you'll just probably have to learn JB's way later. It the best way I know of and takes no time at all "once" it is understood. As I have mentioned in other post, one of the great things about the Rev. is that once you learn something, from line set up to inverted hovers, it's yours and it never has to be re-learned again.

Keep It Up!

Duane

I don't use 2 winders - but I do wind the lefts and rights separately on the same winder, lefts as a pair first, then rights as a pair second!!

Try taking off, stopping, then landing!! UP, STOP, LAND!!! As you get better, go higher!! Get control over the kite!! Don't let it fly you!!!smile.gif

Sorry, had to yield the computer to my youngest, (homework),!!! Take the time to make sure all 4 lines are the same length, if they're off, it'll make the kite try to turn all by itself!! kid_brooding.gif Are your hands even, pulling the kite the same amount with both hands?? Both thumbs back the same, both thumbs forward the same amount!! Get lazy with one hand and ,,,BANG, CRASH!!! Even pull, control up and down first, then higher, up ,stop, down!!! Then when you've got some control, try turning from higher, to give yourself some room!! IF YOU THINK YOU ARE ABOUT TO CRASH - DON'T PULL!!!!!! GIVE to the kite, let it have slack and those crashes will be much gentler on your kite!! Pulling just speeds things up and the crashes get worse!!! Doesn't sound very "interesting"??? You will learn a lot just controlling and getting a "feel" for things!!! Don't give up, many had problems, they're not yours alone!!! Getting anything out of this means putting something into it first, then the light bulb comes on and things get easier!!! Small steps to start!!!!!wink.gif

The Tutorials are "GREAT", but nothing could replace the online coaching and the kite mentors that helped me along the entire way! Just having concerned people to share with made all the difference in my learning. Even when I was flying alone in the field...they seemed to be with me!! They just recently carried me through the "sideway sumer-salts"...well I'm still perfecting them, but I'm getting better!! heehee!

If you keep having problems with the line you might try "SV's" way or go with 2 winders like I did in the beginning! As "reef" often says..."There is no right way, except for the way that works for you!"...(At least I think he said that! heehee!!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 month later...

Sorry, gotta ask first... Dual line or quad line? :)

Certainly a reasonable question, but from personal experiences in 2010, I pretty much deduced this was an introductory 4-line flight ;) Yeah, it is a lot harder than it looks but it's also a lot like riding a bicycle which is very hard to do until you know how, then it becomes natural. The great news is that you can have a lot of fun without being very good once you can simply keep it up, which I could do on my third outing. Then you just keep practicing stuff. After one year, I'm still working on inverted hover, and that's not very advanced for a year, but it's fun just trying to hold the kite in one area of the sky in one position. As others have said, the quad-line tutorials on this website under downloads are INVALUABLE to learning. Have fun!