KiteLife Forum

Rev thru dogstake

John Barresi

Being close to the kite opens a lot of interesting interaction.

(Nice video work as well; pass my kudos to the videographer.)

(And a super beautiful dog-stake pulley system. I saw the pictures somewhere else, but post the pictures to this thread as well, please.)

That is the most sophisticated and beautiful dog stake set up I have ever seen. Is that all brass?

Great video and fantastic flying.

So, what is the secret to dogstake flying since you are looking at the back of the kite? Do you have to put your right handle in your left hand, etc or just retrain the brain with a lot of practice?

I tried it just once with a regular dog stake and short lines and accomplished nothing but a lot of crash and burn.

Bruce

All the major pieces of the stake are aluminum, and all the hardware and bearings are stainless steel. You are correct about switching hands, So when you are looking at the back of the kite your right hand is still controlling the right wing. Although I am with you on the crash and burn, I would launch the kite and the only thing I could successfully do is fly the kite into my head. I would recommend a hard hat and safety glasses to anyone deciding to try this for the first time. :)

Here Are a couple pics of the stake.

Very nice design, and very nice machining. Elegant. (There is no higher praise for a machinist/designer.)

@SkyHook: It might have been the short lines. By the time you divide the length in half, you would have ULTRA-short lines. You might try it again with lines in the 80-120 foot range.

I've flown a Hawaiian Team Kite on dogstake, but I had 200' lines and the kite seemed to go from one side of the window to the other in an instant. It was pretty scary having that heavy monster come flying past my nose at a jillion miles per hour. I set up a row of stakes that kept me out of harms way as long as I stayed behind them. I didn't have a nice pulley system, but I did have Kevlar™ lines; they cut a notch in the dogstake handle.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

Noticed your location. Are you going to Grand Haven? If so perhaps we can meet in person. I will be there all weekend, and can probably be found with a rev in hand and red IKE shirt on.

Darkspark,

Thanks - I didn't know that piece had bearings too!! That means smooth operation with very close to no line friction at all using that dog stake.

As Pete said, Very nice design.

The safety equipment might be a good idea when I try the dogstake concept again. And make sure no one else is around.

Pete,

Yes, I tried the dogstake on way too short lines years ago. No way I was going to succeed.

An Hawaiian Team kite on a Dog Stake sounds scary. I know the pull and speed of those kites and I can just picture that monster coming straight at me. You were smart putting the stakes down to keep yourself out of the way.

When I try it again, it will be with a Rev again and a 200 ft set of quad lines sounds good to me.

I do need to figure out an easy way to separate the lines at the stake to reduce line friction and binding.

Bruce

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

Noticed your location. Are you going to Grand Haven? If so perhaps we can meet in person. I will be there all weekend, and can probably be found with a rev in hand and red IKE shirt on.

Yep. Taking off today (Thurs) to give me time to get settled before the actual start.

I'll be at the Bluewater Inn, across the street from the State Park, and reachable at 734-635-0090 (cell) any time.

On the beach: look for my yellow cap:

post-5920-0-77996600-1305808169_thumb.jp

Don't go carousing without me!

BTW, I am Face Blind (prosopagnosia). I simply cannot recognize or remember people by their faces. Introduce yourself, please, when you see me.

WOW John!! What a video!!

You are doing "doggystyle" what I can only hope to do as well forward!!

I showed the video to "Elvira" too (Blk. Rainbow mid-vent) and she was really impressed too. I reminded her of that

"Mating Ritual" that she does with "Sundancer" (Gomberg SKYFORM60) and told her that we could maybe do it together. She said she'd think about it, but she never did it with a human...let alone "doggystyle"!!

That would be cool!! She's so sexy!! heehee!! I'll tell you what she decides.

Keep It Up!

Duane