KiteLife Forum

air-yo

wen

Hello Wen,

Yes, there's quite a group here in the NorthWest US that like playing with Air-Yo's.

They do break fairly often. Especially the "control rod". But we've seen the hoop break, the skin pop off, and lots of knots in the string as well.

They can be very addicting to play with though.

A few tips:

Try playing gently with it, and letting it float more. They're fun to play fast and furious with, but a lot of the really cool stuff you can do with them is when they're just floating around.

Pay attention to where the tip of the rod is when you tug on it. It will tend to fly toward that point.

Pay attention to where the trailing edge of it is when it hits the end of it's string. If it's pointed down, apply a little bit of tension to the line, and it will tilt up, so that when you tug on it, it will fly upward.

If it's pointed up too high, let it settle for a bit until it's pointed up just slightly, then tug.

If you haven't already, try changing the length of the string as you're flying it. On most Air-Yo's that I've seen, there's a little stopper on the bottom of the control wand that let's you real in some line.

If you bank it just right, you can get it to fly around you a couple of times, then catch it in your teeth. :)

i really like the Air-yo's...I suggest taking your time on developing your skill level...Once you learn the basics and get the "feel" of the Air-Yo, crashes and other mishaps will be less likely...If you haven't done so already, the best & easiast way to assemble the Air-Yo is by using clothes pins...

Kram...Kitelife Subscriber #5

i really like the Air-yo's...I suggest taking your time on developing your skill level...Once you learn the basics and get the "feel" of the Air-Yo, crashes and other mishaps will be less likely...If you haven't done so already, the best & easiast way to assemble the Air-Yo is by using clothes pins...

Kram...Kitelife Subscriber #5

Or the little black binders used in officees to hold multi paper.

I like the air-Yo too. It's not quite Penny proof, but lots of fun.

If it's popping off alot Wen, have someone who is stronger tie it together for you. That made a big difference in it for me.

I think I would spend $5 or $10 more if it had stronger line, (I've had broken line) Stronger tip on the rod. (maybe epoxied?) My first airy-o rod split, hence cutting the line. In fact everytime I went to show someone in the beginning it would snap into a little puddle, or fall apart in some way. :)

It is a great toy, even my husband who doesn't fly has been spending some time with it. If there's no wind I plan on incorporating it into one of my routines this year.

Good luck with it working for you Wen.

BB

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kitelifers!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have had any problems with your Air-YO. If a rod or ferrule breaks on you, I'd be happy to replace it. New Tech Kites has done a little experimentation with the graphite spars and I think we've found the right formula. If your sail flies off the spars it is because the tension line on the outer ring needs to be tightened. The line used on the Control Rod is Spectra line. With extensive use, it is possible to wear it out. However, the line is replaceable. We also have a new promotional and instructional DVD available to Kitelife readers. Email me and I'll send you one.

Enjoy your Air-YO! :)

Chris Shultz

New Tech Kites

ChrisATnewtechkites.com

• 2 weeks later...

Chris wasn't kidding either. They do stand behind their product!! He mailed me some air-yo's!!! I can't wait to watch the DVD. My husband even came to the gym with me Monday night to work out :w00t: heheh and play with the air-yo.

Chris... I only wanted the little yellow cap that keeps the graphite from splitting the line. One fell off and I couldn't find it. I'd like to donate the ones you sent me to events that their not already present at. Is it possible to get the little yellow caps from somewhere? Even a hardware store? I tried fixing the graphite pole, but it didn't hold. I did open one of the packages and used the wand. :)

Thaml you Chris!!

BB

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

Kitelifers!

I have discovered my Air-YO vertical game! It is like opening the door to another dimension.

By pulling 'down' on the control line, the Air-YO rises. Yes, it has lift! To be more specific, when you pull down as the Air-YO passes overhead, the leading edge of the Air-YO rises (The leading edge is the direction the disk is moving). It is possible to rock the Air-YO back and forth way above your head. Soon, you learn this pulling motion can be applied to the Air-YO when it flies closer to the ground. I've seen Tim Elverston at Wind Fire Designs do some fantastic looping action, which he attributes to this downward pulling motion. Try some experimentation next time you are out.

Penny - The pleasure is all mine! I need to ask he factory to send some caps. I don't have any here at the moment.

Cheers!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Paul DeBakker and I played 2 on 1 airyo.. Standing close together and playing chinese fire drill... over and around, over and around. It was the first time I'd tried that. Fun! We laughed!. Then one person with two wands on an air-yo added a whole new dimension. More fun! We all want to fly two at once, too.

Then in the commons at the Lincoln City Fly I gave a quick, here tug and point lessons to many people.. What a hoot.. That and I had Shawn Jones's kite I call a flighter on a stick and about 10 ft. of line. So two sticks and a dual kite with mass people surronding the floor. I continually reminded people, it's only fun till you poke somebody's eye out.

Luckily for me know one was hurt and everyone there was smiling.

Last year we gave more lessons in the gym, this year I should have gone out to the commons sooner to give lessons. Now I know.

BB

Penny

:blink: I took my air-yo to school last week to see how the kiddos would like it.. I have gym access everyday ,, lucky me.. and the kids lovedddddddd it...

I tried it first and popped it off the first bump to the floor... but after using needle nosed pliers and about 12 office clips to put it back on, I put the experts at it.

They had a blast. I would like to get a couple for them to play with. Who knows... future indoor flyers may evolve.. they were certainly more successful then I was with my new wren.. lol.. besides... **coughs..** I umm snagged this air-yo from my son.... eeeeek...

Yaaaaaaaaa ok but someday he is gonna borrow MY CARRRRRRRRRRRR>>. :unsure:

hugs to all..

mousie