KiteLife Forum

Summer flying (some are flying)

The temp this afternoon in Temple, TX (60 miles north of Austin) was 97°F with humidity 42% and winds from the S at 29 MPH gusting to 34 MPH. Utilizing a shade tree, a chair, a stocked cooler, a white shirt, and a straw hat, I had a great time for two and one-half hours flying my Rev mesh! I'm also using 90 feet of 90# line and Barresi Rev handles.

post-5021-0-49859700-1306732072_thumb.jp

The temp this afternoon in Temple, TX (60 miles north of Austin) was 97°F with humidity 42% and winds from the S at 29 MPH gusting to 34 MPH. Utilizing a shade tree, a chair, a stocked cooler, a white shirt, and a straw hat, I had a great time for two and one-half hours flying my Eliot Shook Rev mesh masterpiece! I'm also using 90 feet of 90# line and Barresi Rev handles.

post-5021-0-49859700-1306732072_thumb.jp

Hi JD,

That's a Great looking kite and nice shade tree too!!

How does the venting on that relate to a full-vent?

And Yeah...summer is here. Coming up soon are the times that the Yankees make fun of me, a Floridian, as I hide inside when the heat hits the high high 90s and the humidity is in the high 90s too. heehee!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 1

How does the venting on that relate to a full-vent?

Thanks Duane! I've never flown a full-vent. In search of a high-wind kite, I was looking at a full-vent, which must be a custom order, versus a Shook mesh which is also usually a custom order. After learning this Shook was available, I chose instant gratification, but I also wanted to try something different. My gut feeling and the comments of one flyer are that the Shook mesh will handle somewhat higher winds. Maybe John Barresi will eventually stop by and comment as I am certain he has flown both although a fair comparison would require some good, swirling winds.

In the picture I posted, I am using a 2-wrap spar in addition to the 4-wrap stock spar. The mesh (and the vent) are definitely better behaved this way in high winds. I'm not an aero guy, but bowing of the main spar must upset the flight characteristics. We're on vacation today, and the winds are back, so I'll be out again.

Cheers, John