KiteLife Forum

Cheap "Knock-Offs" Yuck!!

Guru4tru

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was at the NC coast last week, went up on the dunes (Jockey's Ridge) to fly my Rev, and came up behind a guy that was having all kinds of problems with his Rev (?). The kite was on the ground, and out some 100 feet of so, so I wasn't exactly sure what his problem was, other than he was really struggling with his handles, pigtails, lines, etc. What a mess! They looked a bit strange (no knots in the pigtails) but always being willing to help a "newbie", I went on and helped him get that straighted out, and then told him to run out to the kite and set it up, against the wind. When he did, I saw IT. "No Rev logo in the center - strange shaped panels & vents - this was an obvious KNOCK-OFF !" So, at his request, I launched the kite (which incidentally flew like a tank hauling a load of lead) and after a very short flight, I set it back down on the sand, and handed him the handles. As I turned to give him the handles, I just had to ask.........."What kind of kite is that?". Answer....."that's a REVOLUTION kite, that I found on eBay - great price too". My Reply......."I don't think so, because THAT'S a REV right there", as I turned around and pointed to my own kite (a 1.5 B-series mid-vent), which was fully assembled and laying right there on the sand, just a few from where we stood. So, once he managed to get the kite off the ground, and begin to fly a bit, I wished him well, and moved on, where I went about setting out my own lines to fly. From my flight area, I watched him for about an hour or so, as this guy really struggled with the kite, but I had several groups of fliers between us, so watch from a distance, was all I could do. When he began to take the kite down to leave, I observed a horrific line wind-up procedure, as well as a terrible kite roll up. But, by the time I was able to get back over his way, he was pretty much done with his take down, and ready to go. I couldn't help but make just one more suggestion. I told him very nicely, that unfortunately, he had been duped on that kite, and if had been led to believe, that he was purchasing a Rev, that he was indeed mistaken. I also suggested, that if he could possibly see his way clear, to save up a little extra cash, and get himself a real "Revolution" kite, that he would see an world of difference. I was actually going to allow him to fly mine, but by that time, he was then in a hurry to leave, as Mom & kids were getting very restless & hot, up on the dunes. I suppose I still can't believe, that he actually thought that he had a Revolution kite. It didn't look anything at all like a Rev, other than the general shape....

What a shame ! :ani_wallbash:

You know, it's funny. The first stunt kite I bought ran me around $40. Total impulse buy when I was visiting a nearby tourist town. I remember that the people I was with looked at me like I had 2 heads... 'you're spending how much on a KITE ?' Most people can't wrap their heads around how a kite could possibly cost 10x that. So they want to get into it, and think that $100-$150 kite should be GOOD ENOUGH to figure out if they like it. It's a shame that the knockoffs don't at least fly well, because all those people buying them are probably disenchanted with the whole kite flying thing and loose interest in the whole hobby.

So, the legitimate kite industry is really getting screwed twice... once when the design is ripped off, and twice because the crappy flying knock-offs are knocking perspective fliers out before they get hooked.

So, the legitimate kite industry is really getting screwed twice... once when the design is ripped off, and twice because the crappy flying knock-offs are knocking perspective fliers out before they get hooked.

You are so right Rob......... I'm sure that this guy got a very bad impression, of what he originally thought was a Rev. I was really sorry, that there wasn't time to help him a bit more, and to allow this guy to fly the real thing, but circumstances just didn't allow. I was flying, a few hundred yards away, when he began to pack up, and I wasn't exactly in a location, where I could simply stake my kite, and leave it for a few minutes, with all the constant (oblivious) foot traffic, wandering back and forth. We were up on the top of a very large sand dune, which is an extremely popular tourist spot, plus it was very hot. By the time that I realized he was packing up, and was able to get back over to his location, his family had endured just about enough (no interest at all), and were "chomping at the bit", to leave. The "newbie", was obviously disappointed, in both the flight, as well as having to leave, which is a real shame, because, as badly as that knock-off kite flew, he did manage to do, somewhat, ok. He was definitely struggling, but still doing ok, especially for someone attempting their first, "quad-line" flight. What was missing, however, was that little gleam, that you see, when a new comer finally gets it, and you know , he's "hooked". I would have really liked to have been able to spend a little more time with him, and allow him try the real deal, but it just wasn't going to happen that day. So yes, that was indeed, a double whammy - "the legitimate kite industry is really getting screwed twice... once when the design is ripped off, and twice because the crappy flying knock-offs are knocking perspective fliers out before they get hooked." :(

Unfortunately, most people don't take the time to do just a litle more research and kite shops don't do themselves any favors either. I was lucky enough to walk into a reputable kite shop on vacation and got pointed towards an entry SkyDog. I had no idea at the time, but the guy didn't even take the time to tell me the basics.I went back the next day because I was having so many issues and asked questions. I had no idea that you had to have even lines and unroll them all the way. When I got home I did some research. I bought my first real kite off of Ebay, but I knew enough about Ebay commerce to buy from a reputable and listed Prism dealer. After that I fou nd this asnd several other websites and forums, but it was only through sheer desire to learn that I kept with it.

I have come across a couple of other fliers at my local park. When I say my local park, I mean across the street from my house in the back of my neighborhood, so it's not a coincidence. Honestly, there's not many fliers in the midwest so I believe they might have been out there because of me. If I'm not flying I have gone out there to meet them and let them fly one of my kites. Maybe my sell is too hard because I haven't seen many come back, but I can't stand by and let them struggle without helping them with the basics for fear they might be lost to kiting forever. I'm only helping with the basics and not pushing them into high end kites. I only mention some of the cheaper entry deltas from SkyDog, Premier or other reputable companies.

I've tried to help whoever I've seen having trouble at kite festivals, but at the same time I think the kite shops are trying to get kites into the peoples hands and maybe not asking a few questions and not selling them the best kites for a beginner. I have seen a few odd looking deltas out there. I don't get to many local festivals (park districts mainly) because of family responsibilities. Today I am missing a local one where I would love to fly and hopefully hookup meet some new fliers. The showkiters are really cool, but I think there needs to be more explaining to the public about differences in kites should be done to help the public understand and try to avoid some of the basic errors on buying a super cheap stunt kite to try it out. I can't tell you how many times people have not unravelled the lines all the way or didn't know that lines need to be even length to get the kite to be under control at all. It's frustrating because where I am there is ample open land to fly kites. The park districts around here have been awesome in obtaining large open parkland. I have a great park off of a busy road wheer I like to fly. I have gotten more than a few cars to stop and watch me fly (not well). I try to loft my 11" ghost pyro or my sled and laundry to attract attention in hopes one kiter will see me in the vast ocean of corn and soybeans. Trust me. It's not to show my bad flying. No luck yet, but at the same time I get to do what I love and have no competition for open space, but I would love to have one friend nearby to fly with. I do have a few people around that are somewhat local, but they fly Rev's and I am committed to Duals for the near future.