KiteLife Forum

Kitemail

What's the skinny?? I have and use this on a daily basis, and now I'm locked out!!! When I try to log in, it tells me I've used either an invalid password or username! I've got an address book with a list of my other kite flying friends, as well as use it for other things!! Questions - Does resetting the email address on your control panel make you start from scratch, and does creating a new kitemail address lose everything you have now?? HELP!!!

Here is the letter I posted to @kitemail users and my Facebook yesterday...

Hello @kitemail.com users,

This email is URGENT and pertains to the possible closing of your email account, along with all other @kitemail.com user accounts.

We've provided our free email service for nearly 15 years and were able to get a free service through Everyone.net, but recently we've been getting reports of FRAUDULENT accounts set up under people's names that are being used for various nefarious purposes.

Because the service is free to both you and Kitelife, we have very limited control or access to data and are ill-prepared to deal with this problem properly.

==

What does this mean?

It means we are at a fork in the road...

Either we'll need to close Kitemail permanently and entirely after 60 days...

OR, we'll need to hire a company to properly handle a new Kitemail system for roughly $2600 per year...

To subsidize the costs of such a new, more secure service, it would require that we have at least:

520 users willing to pay $5 per year

-or-

260 users willing to pay $10 per year

-or-

130 users willing to pay $20 per year

Etc, etc... This BARELY covers the potential costs, and if we end up with less users on any given year... Then we'll be taking a loss on it.

==

If you would be willing to pay for such a service, please contact me right away so I can add you to the list... If enough people are interested, we'll make every effort to continue the service.

If we don't hear from enough folks in the next 14 days, we will have to close Kitemail permanently.

Deepest apologies for any inconvenience, this is out of our hands... Our options are severely limited, and we need to hear from YOU.

Also SV, I sent you a PM:

I need a little more info about your being locked out...

1. Email address.

2. What is the exact message you get about being locked out?

If you give me some info, I can take a look and try to get it working for you.

Re-registering is a NEW account, won't have anything to do with your old account.

Get me that info VIA PM and I'll try to work it out for you.

Thanks John!! My account is the free one offered, but I use it almost daily and have other things coming there as well as kite stuff!! If I can at at least get my address book to move until this gets settled, all the rest is just pretty minor!! In the mean time, I can be reached at wodowler@gmail.com by anyone that needs to contact me!!

I sent your login info Wayne, should be able to get in now.

As for the fate of Kitemail... Looks like I might be able to save the MailPlus (paid) accounts, but the free ones are almost definitely going away in the next month or two.

Might be a good idea to copy over your address book and forward any important emails to another account (like gmail).