KiteLife Forum

Convert a 2-line to single line

Groan

Hi from a lurker!Here's the story,

I purchased a 2 line parafoil online and in the package they included a smaller 2-line rectangular parafoil (approx 3 feet across with 8-10 cells).

My son is 7 yrs old and I fear he would not be able to control the 2 line yet so what I was wondering is if you think it would be possible to convert it to a single line?

I was thinking that connecting the tow lines at the sides together and adding a tail. But what length? should it be weighted?

Hoping to hear from you knowledgeable peeps!

Hi from a lurker!Here's the story,

I purchased a 2 line parafoil online and in the package they included a smaller 2-line rectangular parafoil (approx 3 feet across with 8-10 cells).

My son is 7 yrs old and I fear he would not be able to control the 2 line yet so what I was wondering is if you think it would be possible to convert it to a single line?

I was thinking that connecting the tow lines at the sides together and adding a tail. But what length? should it be weighted?

Hoping to hear from you knowledgeable peeps!

Hi Groan,

I have no experience in how to convert the kite over to a single liner, (so I'm not a "knowledgeable peep"), but I think you might be underestimating the mind and reflexes of a 7 year old. When I have the opportunity, which is now and then, to teach kids that age how to fly a standard dual liner (Quantum Prism)---which I believe would be much more difficult then what you are flying---they, after some true blue crashes, seem to pick it up and really do great with it.

Matter of fact, some friends of ours (my wife's and mine) have a son about that age and they ask me to teach him how to fly so he could have a hobby to occupy his spare time with. The wind was low and not at all a good teaching day, but after a little exerciser, on my part picking up the crashes, he was flying it as well as I could in that wind!! I was amazed!

So I'd check it out first before you do any conversions. And also the thing that I found with kids that age...""they get bored really fast""...and when I've set up a kid with a single liner, everything is great for about 15 minutes then their finished with that and off to something more interesting! heehee! But with the dual liner...they had to pull the kid off the field and that was a few hours after we started.

Keep It Up!

Duane