KiteLife Forum

Dogstake

Racer76g

Good idea in theory, except that you'll find that you're actually moving an area of line more like 30'-40' through the stake at times, especially while you're learning.

That, and there will be a bump or "joint" in your line where the real line is connected to the tougher middle piece... That'll feel like crap when it hits the stake.

More trouble than it's worth, IMHO.

But if you want to try it, I'd suggest maybe 150# spectra (upsize from your 90# fly lines)... Anything else will be too weak, too heavy or too stretchy. :)

Thanks John,

I didn't know there would possibly be that much movement. I'll just have to throw my brain out of gear on this stuff until I get some actual experience!

Keep It Up!

Duane

(Good realization on the beach thing though! heehee!)

Experimentation is awesome, especially if you're doing it with scraps... Tell us what YOU find out, just take care with your eyes and noggin. :)

"""NO FEAR!!""" I'm Ready!!

(and the vest is good up to, and incl., a 44 magnum!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried flying with a dog stake at Bentonville's first kite fest. For me, it will take some time to keep it up (kite that is). Anyways, bought a commercial made dog stake at Petsmart today, put on my magnifiers to look at the bends. Rough! Used miniature files to smooth out the bends and the crease left by the tooling. Used craytex cones, fine and very fine to further smooth out the crease then polished with buffing wheel and rouge. Used Dremmel tool for the craytex and buffing. Am a semi-retired tool and die maker so already had the items needed. Most of you won't, but hopefully you know a model railroader, model ship builder or a machinist that will have the "little" tools that could help you out. Only spent about 10 minutes doing this and hope to try it out this afternoon.

• Like 2