KiteLife Forum

New Here

East Coast Kiter

Hi;

I just joined today. I moved to a windy city and recently discovered a love for kites. I have an HQ Symphony Beach 2.1m power kite, which I absolutely love because of it's power. I also have a Premier Vision, which I love because it's so easy to handle. My friend and I were flying with my kites for a while, and she's gotten completely addicted and today she got an HQ Bebop.

Anyway, we have a handle on launching, flying and turning, and landing.

Is there any easy tricks we can learn to get us started in trick flying anyone can suggest?

I understand I won't be able to do anything fancy with the kite I have at the moment, but I need some help in layman's terms on how to do things like stalls and slides and whatnot. I want to learn that before I graduate to a larger kite.

Thanks!!

I have no idea on the fancy tricks as I am 4-lines only. However, I bought a Salsa II for the girlfriend which she rarely uses and have found sideslides easy enough to do.

Fly to the edge of the wind window, turn the kite upright and walk forwards to de-power it. It should slide towards the middle of the window.

Hi and welcome.

look at the tutorials at kiteVids.com and prism stunt kite maneuvers has good animations.

I'm currently flying a Prism Nexus, its the same size as your. These smaller kites are harder to do tricks on but not impossible. I can do a snap stall, axle, back flip and Fade, but they don't look pretty and they do not always work.

Look at this post about the trickability of different kites (thanks JoeZ). It has kept my spirits up as I learn, and I look forward to getting the next kite( when I finish painting the house so the "better half" has said :)).

Fly it, crash it, fly it again and just have fun doing it.

Hi;

I just joined today. I moved to a windy city and recently discovered a love for kites. I have an HQ Symphony Beach 2.1m power kite, which I absolutely love because of it's power. I also have a Premier Vision, which I love because it's so easy to handle. My friend and I were flying with my kites for a while, and she's gotten completely addicted and today she got an HQ Bebop.

Anyway, we have a handle on launching, flying and turning, and landing.

Is there any easy tricks we can learn to get us started in trick flying anyone can suggest?

I understand I won't be able to do anything fancy with the kite I have at the moment, but I need some help in layman's terms on how to do things like stalls and slides and whatnot. I want to learn that before I graduate to a larger kite.

Thanks!!

Hi East Coast Kiter,

Welcome to Kitelife!!...and let me mention...if you become a paying subscriber and post the words "I'm Here!!" in the "Contest" post thread, before anyone else ...I'll give you my 2 numbers for the next drawing...and you might be flying a "Crossfire!!" too!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks for the awesome comments.

Jason, thanks for the advice on the sideslide. The only thing I'm fuzzy on is how to get the kite to stand upright.

I want a bigger kite, but I need to learn these simple tricks first.

Can anyone give me advice on kites for when I do decide to go for a bigger one? I'm pretty much limited to Premier and HQ, since I don't shop online. However, I really like the quality of Premier Kites.

Here are the kites I have a choice of...

HQ Quickstep II

HQ Bolaro

Premier SR2

Premier Jewel

Premier Nighthawk

Premier Addiction

Premier Wolf

Premier Trick and Track

Premier Magnum

Premier Widow

I really like the Bolaro, Nighthawk, Wolf, and Trick & Track. Does anyone know about these kites?

Here are the kites I have a choice of...

HQ Quickstep II

HQ Bolaro

Premier SR2

Premier Jewel

Premier Nighthawk

Premier Addiction

Premier Wolf

Premier Trick and Track

Premier Magnum

Premier Widow

I really like the Bolero, Nighthawk, Wolf, and Trick & Track. Does anyone know about these kites?

Hi East Coast Kiter, and welcome to the forum. I too, am now into Revs (quad line), but I still have two (2) Nighthawks and two (2) Magnums, which I fly on occasion. Both are great kites that were designed by Jon Trennepohl & Wayne Brujnes. The Nighthawk is a good mid size, or 3/4 kite, while the Magnum is a full size kite. Both kites are basically identical, other than size, frame & speed. I also had a Trick & Track, but I didn't particularly like that one, no good reason, other than I just didn't think that it performed, quite as well, as either the Nighthawk or the Magnum. I also had a Widow, which is also a Jon Trennepohl design. That too, is a very nice kite, especially for this price range.

Good luck with your choices............You'll love the Nighthawk (Red Hot) ;)

If you are wanting to get into slack line tricks, I highly suggest the Widow over all the others in your list. Second would be the Nighthawk.

The Widow is probably one of the best tricking kites in that price range. It will do everything and do it very nicely. It is also a very forgiving kite which makes it easier to learn tricks with. If your timing is off a little then it will still reward you with the trick. The bigger size wing is also easier to fly and lets you see the tricks a bit better than the smaller kites which flick through the tricks so quickly it is sometimes difficult for new pilots to see what actually happened.

There are tons of videos online that will show you how to do the tricks. Randy G's sportkite blog is down right now but word is that he is getting everything back up and running very soon. His video's are one of the best around. Another option for you is to find a copy of Dodd Gross Flight School DVD - or Prism's Freestyle Pilot DVD. Both of these you should be able to get from your local kite shop.

Hope that helps...and welcome to the forum.