KiteLife Forum

Single Line Kite Anchor

Guru4tru

...DO YOU THINK THIS ONE WILL HOLD THE KITE confused_1.gif

post-4670-0-41671600-1310911702_thumb.jp

Maybe, maybe not. I once (late 1980s) saw a big Sutton lifting the front (heavy) end of a 50,000# fire truck. Every once in a while, it would lift the front wheels two or three feet off the ground. Mean time, the ground crew were wringing their hands and trying to figure out a way to get the kite down.

It was just a good thing that this kite was flying at a VERY high angle; otherwise it would have dragged that fire truck through the park, and probably led to the banning of kites in that city forever.

The wind eventually died down and a crew of people walked it down with a pulley.

Maybe, maybe not. I once (late 1980s) saw a big Sutton lifting the front (heavy) end of a 50,000# fire truck. Every once in a while, it would lift the front wheels two or three feet off the ground. Mean time, the ground crew were wringing their hands and trying to figure out a way to get the kite down.

That sounds a bit out of the ordinary, or unusual, to say the least. What were they using for line ? Cable maybe ? I'm suprised that the Sutton didnt' pull the bumper, or whatever, off of the truck................

Anyway, I didn't know we were talking about that large a kite :ani_idea: , but you never know. Strange things happen, down here in the South................:P

That sounds a bit out of the ordinary, or unusual, to say the least. What were they using for line ? Cable maybe ? I'm suprised that the Sutton didnt' pull the bumper, or whatever, off of the truck................

Anyway, I didn't know we were talking about that large a kite :kid_devlish: , but you never know. Strange things happen, down here in the South................:)

It looked to be a braided synthetic about 1 1/2" diameter under tension. Loose, it looked more like 2". One guy tapped the line with a heavy stick and it thrummed like a low piano note. I didn't want to get too close. It wasn't attached to the bumper, but to a towing hook - probably welded/bolted to the frame.

And I don't know that we WERE talking about that large a kite; the thread just reminded me of having seen that big kite. I think it might have been at Manistee, MI in the late 1980s. It could have possibly been in Chicago, but I didn't get over there too often.

I sure hope it WAS out of the ordinary. I would hate to think my fellow kiters were crazy enough to do that on a regular basis. They were lucky that no one was injured or killed.

• 4 months later...

My biggest anchor is a 1,2 x 1,2 meter beaver nylon (Dont know if it's called that in the states) with a cross made of a safetybelt, with loops at the ends. This keeps with no problems my 4 x 5 meter Flowform FF04A in a good wind.

First i put some sand at the corners, and then i dig a hole just next to it, in the winddirection. Put the sand from the hole at the anchor. When it's at bit more than half full, pull the anchor into the hole, and fill it up. Now you are ready for some big flying.

post-6675-0-67311400-1322736072_thumb.jp

It doesn't take too much kite to generate a lot of pull. Sleds, bulldogs, Suttons, bols, crowns all can get out of control with a good gust.

Pictures from Dieppe 2009.

3821635659_4d8e84a787.jpg

Sand bags placed on the field for anchors.

3822442488_38d580802b.jpg

Kite anchored to sand bag.

3822432588_199cfc57f2.jpg

Gary Mark sitting on the sand bag after it had been dragged 20 feet.

Gary looks to be a generously sized young man (he has a ways to go before he reaches MY magnificence though), but if there is a cubic yard of dry sand in that bag, he isn't adding much additional weight to the 2700# in the bag.

Great set of pictures, and a warning to us all.

Gary looks to be a generously sized young man (he has a ways to go before he reaches MY magnificence though), but if there is a cubic yard of dry sand in that bag, he isn't adding much additional weight to the 2700# in the bag.

Great set of pictures, and a warning to us all.

Thanks, Pete.

The winds weren't that heavy that day but that bag did move. Gary just hopped on for the short ride when it was apparent it was going to stop..

The funny thing is that I had a chance to snag a few of those bags. We used over 90 3000# bags of a special mortar mix (slight expansion while drying and color) building the house (see below in my sig), and I don't think the mortar company would have noticed if a few didn't get returned. Who could predict that I might need a few someday?

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I want to point out a few things....

The proper way to use a sand bag is to dig a hole with the down wind side being completely vertical. Place the bag in the hole and then use that sand to bury it. The kite would then either need to lift the bag out of the hole or through the sand wall itself. This creates _much_ more resistance then just filling the bag.

The issue I see with bags is that at some point they need to be tipped and emptied. Should be easy enough in most cases but this is why most sand anchors are open pieces of fabric... it's easier to empty them.

• Like 3

• 7 years later...