KiteLife Forum

Kite lines

Colaris

I prefer straps to handles, any day. There is only one drawback to them though. If you aren't using a padded strap (and sometimes even then), when you are flying in high winds and playing with a lot of pull, the straps can start to cut off the circulation in your hands. Love them though, and would fly with straps over generic handles any day.

If you're just starting, use as long a lineset as you can!! Longer lines mean a little more time for any input to reach the kite! It gives you a bit more time to react!! Also, if you think you're gonna crash - Give to the kite!! Makes your impacts much softer!! Pulling just drives the kite into the ground!! smile.gif

Straps are very nice. They can cut off circulation (as Exile said), or even pinch a nerve, with hard-pulling kites.

Just keep moving them around to prevent keeping the pressure always in the same place.

There is also the risk of not being able to "let go" if things get out of control. Be sure you can slip them off while they are under tension.

For stunt kites (both 2 and 4 line) having the lines be exactly the same length is important. This is hard to do when you are winding lines on and off the plastic handles.

Straps are the only way to go. Although lately I find myself preferring finger straps over wrist straps.

I like them myself, but not really practical on a hard-pulling kite.

My favorites for REALLY hard-pulling kites are a set of padded wrist-straps that also have a tee-grip that can be adjusted so that you support part of the pull with the straps and part with the tee-grips. Less likely to tear a tendon that way.

Actually, there is a step beyond that where you hook your stuntkite lines to an anchor via a pulley, and use lanyards to steer it. Then you can (and should - in case the pulley or anchor lets go) use finger loops.

I too fly with straps, always (unless I'm flying my Rev). Unless the wind is really cooking, I usually fly with my straps on just one or two fingers, and as Kent said, I like the two finger straps, and use them quite often. Whichever you use, make sure they are soft..............the stiff straps will cut into your hand eventually, and as Pete mentioned, you'll need to keep moving them around...............;) (don't be worried about making your own, my favorite set is homemade)

Oh, and I think Pete is really into Power Kites...............I was referring to standard dual line stunt kites 1 :)

I guess this is a function of where I fly and shop for kites, but I had never even seen a dual line kite with handles until earlier this summer. For years I didn't know they came with anything but straps.

...Oh, and I think Pete is really into Power Kites............

I usually think of traction kites when people say Power Kites. For me,the object is to stay in one place, no matter how hard the kite pulls.

post-5920-0-98798800-1311301469_thumb.jp

I must have made this inset picture only in a small size, and I'm too lazy tonight to remake it at a decent size.

That's a 10' Flexifoil on 200# (or maybe 500#) x 200' lines, and me flying it (about 30 years younger and 50# lighter than I am now) on a 6' x 2" spruce flying bar.

If your flying lines have loops on the ends, I would recommend tying a short pigtail to the wrist strap (if there isn't one already) and then using a Lark's head knot to hook the flying line to the pigtail.

Haven't got my new fancy lines yet, just looking at it with my old lines in mind. The wrist bands I have now have metal D rings attached to them and my old lines have hoops which I used to tie into larks head knots but the two seem incompatable. (?)

Take two pieces of braided Dacron six inches long, heat the ends to seal them, fold them in half, tie a double-overhand or double figure-of-eight knot at the ends making two identical loops.

Fasten one to each d-ring with a larks head knot, leaving the double knot at the end. Now you can hook your lines to these pigtails using another larks head knot.

BTW, if the loops on the ends of your lines are big enough for the wrist straps to pass through them, you can do with out the extra pigtails.

Put the loop at the end of the line through the d-ring, and then put the whole wrist strap through the loop. Now you can work the loop down to the d-ring, forming a larks head directly to the d-ring. Repeat for the other line.