KiteLife Forum

Non Sport Kite Related Question

I know this is the wrong area of the forum, but as I don't kite board/surf/buggy, I wasn't sure...

Also, excuse the stupidity of my question as I'm still new to kiting.

I have an HQ Symphony Beach 2.1meter power kite. I am a sucker for shorter lines. I had 80ft Premier lines on my stunt kite that I was using on both kites because I like their shortness. One day I was using them on my power kite and they snapped. So I headed to the store and bought 80ft HQ lines. Last night I was flying the power kite in about 15-20k winds with the 80ft lines and they snapped.

So my question is, are they snapping because they're too short?

Thanks!

I know this is the wrong area of the forum, but as I don't kite board/surf/buggy, I wasn't sure...

I have an HQ Symphony Beach 2.1meter power kite. I am a sucker for shorter lines. I had 80ft Premier lines on my stunt kite that I was using on both kites because I like their shortness. One day I was using them on my power kite and they snapped. So I headed to the store and bought 80ft HQ lines. Last night I was flying the power kite in about 15-20k winds with the 80ft lines and they snapped.

Thanks!

HQ markets the Symphony line with their sport kites rather than their power kites, so I think you're in the right place, or close enough. ;)

There are no stupid questions, but this might qualify as a stupid answer. You don't specify the weight of any of the line sets you're using, so I'm guessing that maybe your lines are too light rather than too short. The Symphony Beach 2.1 ships with 100' lines, so I would expect that you can get away with 80' lines, BUT...

The Beach 2.1 ships with 220# (100kp) lines, which is probably a bit heavier than your Premier stunt kite lines. I'm not sure about all the line sets that HQ sells, but I know that they sell the smaller Symphonies with 150# or even 55# lines for the smallest. You can get heavier lines in 80' length. Your kite store should be able to help you.

Lines can break due to wear and tear, especially if you're hard on them (like flying on sand), but since you broke a relatively new set, I'm guessing they were too light to start with.

Sorry if I made an unwarranted assumption about your experience level. You did say you were new to kiting.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

No, they're not snapping because they're too short, they're too light. You want at least 150#-200# line for winds under 15mph, and heavier still for winds over 15mph. I remember snapping a #225 set while flying my 1.8 meter foil in high winds.

You can more than likely repair the set that you snapped. A little shorter isn't a bad thing...

~Rob.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php