KiteLife Forum

General info on quads vrs duals

FlyingFish

Hi, I saw the revolutions in a mag. a little while ago. Can someone tell me what you can do with them? Are they as cool or cooler the duals, or are they just too different to compare? I am afraid that if I fly one I won't want to fly dual line anymore, and I have put alot of money into my kites. Do any of you fly both dual and quad? Basically, whats the differences between a quad and a dual, besides the obvious.

I own many of each, and fly them all. Here's my input on the differences.

Dual line kites are what I prefer to fly when there's nearly no wind. I like the grace and flow of a UL or SUL as we dance across the field. :( Dual line kites need to be moving forward though, even if it's only in relation to the wind at the moment - so there is a certain aspect of "predictability" of a duallie that tends to bore me after a while.

Quads are all about control. The ability to stop, turn 1/4 of a rotation at a time, side-slide upside down, un-turn 1/4 of a rotation at a time, inverted and reverse flight, etc., gives me the opportunity to get exactly from the kite what I'm inputting to it. No more, no less. :)

I am, of course, talking about flying a Spirit or a Rev, as there are some other "quad line" kites out there that have never given me the impression that I was controlling the kite. <_>

There is a third option also, the TC Ultra kites. They can be flown dual or quad, and can perform most maneuvers and tricks in either category. They need a lot more "forearm" than a Spirit or a Rev, but they are very enjoyable to fly. :)

Near the bottom of each page (comp & demo), there is a series of links like this:

*MAC users can browse the video folders below*

MIB - MPB - MTP - MTB - DEMO

These links will take you straight into the file folders containing the videos.

A note however, the videos may nnot have worked when you tried due to a massive influx of visitors we had over the last week... To the tune of 8,600 in one day!

Nearly blew our bandwidth out of the water, so I "hid" the videos on and off for two days... Everything is back in order now, you might try the normal route first.

Thanks. :)

Hi Fish,

What a loaded question...

I saw my first Rev about 2 1/2 years ago at a kitefest. I couldn't believe what I saw. At that time I had several dual-lines, but didn't really do any tricks with them. One dual that I loved was a stack of six hyperkites -- really fun to watch with their flowing tails.

Anyway, I saw the Bay Area Sundowners perform, and it was truly amazing to see them hover, speed away from each other, even dip into the water and fly out. I had to have one. I got my first Rev 1.5 about two years ago. And I can't get enough of the quad lines. I stil DO enjoy flying my duallies, but rarely.

For light winds, I have a Rev 1.5SUL and also a Blast. For speed I have a Blast and Shockwave, and also a Rev 2. For precision, I have my 1.5 and a Rev 1. I've also picked up a NASA Power Wing and a TC Ultra. When I fly those particular ones, I use a combination of dual line and quad line movements. Some folks don't like that, but I do at times.

Bottom line, quads are a lot of fun (as are all kites). I'm addicted to them, and am considering having a couple of Rev 1.5's custom built so I can have "my" colors and a short stack of two.

The zipper on my dual line bag isn't rusted yet, but a little WD-40 would help! On the other hand, the zipper on my quad bag works great!

Go ahead, take the plunge. If you do, my recommendation is a 1.5SLE. It's tough, fun, precision, and you won't outgrow it. MHO.

BTW, my avatar is my Rev 1.

Doug

As far as your choice of 1st quad line should you decide to experience it... I agree with Doug, the 1.5 SLE is an ideal choice to start with... Once you get the hang of it and aren't crashing hard any longer, I would see about getting a standard diameter leading edge for lighter winds.

While beginners and intermediates won't notice in most cases, the heavier SLE rod lends the tiniest bit of inertia to your rotations, making super fine clockwork and such a little more challenging... It doesn't have much affect on slides or hovers, and reverse flight is fine for the most part.

My personal quad of choice is the Revolution 1, due to it's absolute degree of possible control... For precise flight and maneuvers, I'll put it up against a Rev 1.5 any day. :)

Nice to meet you Katelyn. :w00t:

Kewl, you are very close for kiteflying. There must be school fields over there or someplace that you practice? Kite Hill is over there.

I live in Port Orchard, WA across the water from you guys. So maybe we can get a lesson sometime before now and LongBeach. Seems like someone up there should be having a kite festival.

Have a "beach chi ful" weekend~

BB

Penny

Where's Kite Hill? The problem is that the park I try to fly at has 0-.5 wind. I am finishing buying a Zerostar, which will allow me to fly more frequently, buy I fly about every 6 months, or whenever we get down to Long Beach. I can't drive yet (have to take the test for my permit) so I can't get myself to a better wind zone and Mom isn't willing to drive me all over the place. Dad is willing, but he is out at sea most of the time and when he is home, lives in Seattle. Then I fly at Golden Gardens. So, all this means I have flown for about three years and can't do a single trick or am able to practice. *sigh*