KiteLife Forum

What happened to my "SPELL CHECKER" ?

Does anybody know - where the "SPELL CHECKER" disappeared to ??

I thought I'd heard some members say that it was still there, and others have said that it is gone. Well, it's definitely gone, on my end ! I used to have a little icon, up top, just like over on the Rev forum. It was a small "abc", over a check-mark ! It's just not here anymore !

It used to be a part of the forum, when typing in New Topics, Replies, Quick Replies, and in the PM, but it's missing now. HELP :dizzy:

Somebody please tell me it's just in a different location !! :akuma:

Was it above the Revolution logo at the top of the window? If so, it was part of your browser, not prt of the site.

Have you upgraded or changed your browser recently?

NO, it was actually right on the tool bar, that comes up at the top of the window, when you post, or reply to a post, on the forum. I have all the icon across the top, for Bold, Italics, Underline, Strikethrough, Subscript, Superscript, a bunch of other stuff, then aleign left, center, aleign right, and on the line above that, the drop down box for the font, the size of the font, the color of the font, and on and on, also undo and redo, and then, right in line with all those icons, was the "abc" over the check mark.

So NO, it was not up above the Revolution Logo, it was a part of the icons, in the forum window, itself, and it still is, over on the Rev fourm.

And No, I haven't changed browsers, lately. Same browser that I've been using all along. It it was the browser, it seems that it would have changed both forums, not just Kitelife.

I'm going to see if I can send you a screen capture of both forums in a email. May take a minute of two to get this, but they will be in the form of word attachments, I hope...............

Was it above the Revolution logo at the top of the window? If so, it was part of your browser, not part of the site.

Have you upgraded or changed your browser recently?

Hey Pete,

Looks like I'm just talking to myself here, and maybe you ? Where the heck is everybody ? Maybe no one else is missing the spell checker, or maybe they never had it, to begin with (?), or, maybe I'm going crazy.

Ok, let me start over.............

The old Kitelife Forum had a spell checker, up among in the forum icons, as does the Rev Forum now (here, anyway). You asked about my browser etc. Ok, here's where I am on this thing.

The laptop that I normally use, is a Lenovo T400

My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Pro

My browser is Internet Explorer 8

The new Kitelife Forum, no longer has a Spell Checker ?

The Revolution Forum, still has a Spell Checker (exactly as always) ?

Ok, so you got me to thinking, so I tried another computer (my wife's laptop).......

Her computer is a Dell Inspiron 1420

Her operating system is Microsoft Windows VISTA Home Premium

Her browser is Internet Explorer 7

The new Kitelife Forum, no longer has a Spell Checker ?

The Revolution Forum, still has a Spell Checker (exactly as always) ?

So, this is two completely different computers

Two completely different operating systems

Two completely different browsers

BUT,

Both forums, have the exact same appearance and look, on both computers.

They are identical, in every way, on either computer, either operating system, or either browser.

I suppose this is why I am so perplexed, when others say that they never had a spell checker, or something else is checking their spelling, or that it's located in some entirely different location, on the page.

Why doesn't everyone see the same thing ?

I can make do, it was just a lot more convenient, with the spell checker incorporated into the forum, but most of all, I just don't understand why we all aren't experiencing the same thing.................but it's all cool :ani_victory:

ps........I think I'll just continue to post back and forth to myself ! Where the heck has everyone gone ?? HELLO !

OK, I see where it would have been. However, I don't see it currently on the Rev Forum either. I assume you still see all the other formatting and insertion tools.

I've never used the forum spell checker since any text-insertion box that is opened on a Mac (including a reply box on any forum, using any browser) is automatically checked on the fly. As soon as I "leave" a word (type a space or punctuation) if the word is not in my local dictionary, the word is underlined in red. I can right-click on it to see a list of likely correct words or (if I am sure it is splled correctly) I can add it to my dictionary or just ignore the spell warning and leave it as it is.

(This is VERY weird: I was just typing a reply to your 8/18 3:03 PM EDT post, when I noticed a link at the bottom of the reply window that suggested I had some "auto saved content". I clicked on it and the text I had been typing today vanished, and was replaced by the text above, which I thought I had posted yesterday evening. Of course, I can't remember exactly what I typed this morning, but it was approximately this: )

I now know where the spell checker icon should be, and what it looks like. I agree it is part of the forum. I don't see it above the text-entry box on either the Rev forum OR the Kitelife forum, so there is something different in how those icons are displayed that varies from user to user. As you say, it looks the same on two different computers for you, but different (missing the spell checker on both forums) to me. This suggests a user dependent setting somewhere (but I certainly don't know where). We may need an IP.Board expert to help us.

Yep, and based on your reply, I'll assume that you likewise got my email, with the "screen captures". Actually, your last comment is the one that really confuses me. I suppose that's what I don't understand, and that is - "Why we don't all see the same thing?", if we are on the same website ? Oh, and yes, I have all the other formatting & insertion tools that normally show up, when you enter text.

That, of course, is why I did the check/comparison, with the Dell/Vista vs. the Lenovo/XP, and since that time, I have tried it on an HP desktop computer, with an older version of Windows XP, plus an older version of Internet Explorer. Once again, both forums showed up, just as they did on the Dell & Lenovo - The spell checker is still there, on the Rev forum, and it's gone, on the Kitelife forum (?).

Now, I'm beginning to think that the big difference may be the Mac technology vs. Microsoft, since you are on a Mac, and I'm on Microsoft. I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.

I wish someone else would chime in, and let us know what they see. Again, I can work with or without it. It's just that once you get accustomed to using things one way, you hate to loose a handy tool, that you've become fond of. It really doesn't make any difference to me, either way, I just wish, that both forums could be alike, as they were before. I think that makes it easier on everyone, but of course, I'm sure there's a lot involved, in doing that. Maybe John will chime in on this topic, soon......(hey JB, share the wisdom)...... :ani_victory:

This is my take on this.

You are seeing the same thing on all your different computers ( by the way just how many computers do you have and WHY so many??) because you are logged in under the same (web settings) user name. Therefore all computers will show the same results.

Well, just for another data point: I'm now logged in on a Windows 7 computer using Chrome, and using the quick-reply text entry box. I have NO forum spell-check icon.

I just went over to the Revkites site and it is the same: no spell-check icon over either the quick reply or the full editor. Sorry, it isn't whether you are using Windows or Mac computer either.

I really think we need an IP.Board expert.

This is my take on this.

You are seeing the same thing on all your different computers ( by the way just how many computers do you have and WHY so many??) because you are logged in under the same (web settings) user name. Therefore all computers will show the same results.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your input, and you may very well be correct (being logged in under the same web settings), and that may indeed explain, why I'm seeing the same thing on different computers, with different operating systems, and with different browsers. In fact, I pretty much agree with that. You've probably got that nailed. :ani_giveup:

BUT,

That still doesn't answer the question, as to why I'm seeing a spell checker icon, over on the Rev forum, and why I used to see it here on the Kitelife forum, but now, it's gone (?). There was definitely an icon, that was part of the forum editing icons, just like we all see & use, at the top of the text window, when we compose a post, or make a reply, or use the PM option. Whatever happened, occurred when the forum was updated / changed. I don't know why I'm the only one that had that option, but it seems that way, as no one else has mentioned this ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on the forum, or upset about the "NEW" look, or changes. I think it's great, and I'm fine with everything (even Pete's new avatar) :bye1: . This seems to be a very "localized" problem (here only), so obviously it's not going to cause any major issues, not even for me. And for sure, people are not going to complain about loosing something, that they never had in the first place. I suppose I'm just more curious, than anything else. This just happened to be one of the first differences, that I noticed in the new forum, when I was tweaking my profile & settings, after the "new update" took place. I'm just in the habit of running the spell checker, on most anything I do, so naturally, I immediately noticed that it was missing, the first time I attempted to post.

None-the less, all is cool here :ani_victory: , I just wish more people would chime in, and let us know what they have, or had, and how that compares, to what they have, over on the Rev forum :gathering: . I don't know where everyone is, but it's like all of the forum regulars, have taken missing, even JB ? :) opps........forgot about WSIKF

ps...Oh Brett, as for the computer issue - long story, short - I was one of those laptop, hold- offs. No way that little thing could do, what my HP desktop can do ! I know, I know, I'm old fashioned, but we live and learn. Then I finally got a laptop (an old IBM T-30), loved it, so then I upgraded to a new Lenovo T-400. In the meantime, my wife, likewise went through an old IBM T-30, and then she upgraded to a new Dell, and now, she also has a "work issued" Lenovo, so needless to say, we are wrapped up with computers. We even have the old stand-by (the HP desktop), which I basically use now, just for storing back-up info, created on the laptops........I mean, what can I say, we just got a bunch of computers.

Well, just for another data point: I'm now logged in on a Windows 7 computer using Chrome, and using the quick-reply text entry box. I have NO forum spell-check icon.

I just went over to the Revkites site and it is the same: no spell-check icon over either the quick reply or the full editor. Sorry, it isn't whether you are using Windows or Mac computer either.

I really think we need an IP.Board expert.

Hey Pete, :ani_giveup:

Thanks for checking on that, but possibly, Brett may be right, that when we log in, we are logged in under the same web settings, so "WE", as individuals, should see the same thing, when we log in on different systems. but still, I wonder why I'm the only one that had a spell checker on Kitelife, and still have it, over on the Rev forum. I've gone through all the settings, on both my computer, and on the forums, and I can't find anything concerning a spell checker, other than in my email program, where I have it turned on, all the time. :)

Heck, I just don't know, but I'm not going to worry about it, too much more. I'm sure that eventually, JB will tune in, and clear this thing up, one way or the other :ani_victory:

This is my take on this.

I think that this is the point that Nick and I have reached: that this is a per-user setting somewhere in the site - but there does not seem to be any place that the user can adjust it. It is also a bit puzzling exactly WHY it should be a per-user setting, rather than a per-site setting - that is, admin controlled.

(Another thing that seems to have changed: I think there used to be icons that adjusted the size of the reply text entry box; now (at least on Kitelife) there is a drag icon in the lower right corner of the box. Just checked - those sizing icons are still there on RevKites forum - rightmost two in top row.)

I thought I would try seeing what the editing mode tab would trigger, but no spell checker there either!! Now my screen for replying has a cast on the toolbar and it doesn't look at all right!! Ok, now to try the edit function!!! Got the cast off my screen (had to rehit the editing mode button)!! Got my smileys back!!! :ani_victory:

YEAH, things are getting better!!!!!

PS: I use an older Dell desktop with XP and don't have the spell check on the forun, but I also get the red underline on what the computer thinks are misspelled words!! Same thing --Pete, some choices on alternative spellings come up in a box!!! :)

I think that this is the point that Nick and I have reached: that this is a per-user setting somewhere in the site - but there does not seem to be any place that the user can adjust it. It is also a bit puzzling exactly WHY it should be a per-user setting, rather than a per-site setting - that is, admin controlled.

(Another thing that seems to have changed: I think there used to be icons that adjusted the size of the reply text entry box; now (at least on Kitelife) there is a drag icon in the lower right corner of the box. Just checked - those sizing icons are still there on RevKites forum - rightmost two in top row.)

I suppose so, Pete, however, I never remember setting anything like that. I have searched and searched through all the Rev forum settings, and I just don't see it.

As for the "sizing of the reply text box", I likewise have those two icons, over in the Rev Forum, just as you described. They are in the upper top right corner, EXCEPT, my SPELL CHECKER icon, is just to the right of them, with the "increase / decrease the text box" icons, just to the left of the spell checker icon........(?)

There is an option in the Kitelife Text Box, at the bottom right, which says (when you hover over it), "Drag to Resize". Only problem, it does nothing, on my computer, anyway ? Not sure why it's there. It's the three little diagonal lines, in the bottom right corner of the text box.

I think there may be some additional "tweaking" to be done, if JB ever gets back from flying ....... :ani_victory:

I thought I would try seeing what the editing mode tab would trigger, but no spell checker there either!! Now my screen for replying has a cast on the toolbar and it doesn't look at all right!! Ok, now to try the edit function!!! Got the cast off my screen (had to rehit the editing mode button)!! Got my smileys back!!! :)

YEAH, things are getting better!!!!!

PS: I use an older Dell desktop with XP and don't have the spell check on the forun, but I also get the red underline on what the computer thinks are misspelled words!! Same thing --Pete, some choices on alternative spellings come up in a box!!! :ani_giveup:

It's about time you jumped in here, SV ! Been off flying kites again, I suppose................ (hope you had a great trip)

Do you have the spell checker on the Rev site ? :ani_victory:

Just checked (haha) the Rev forum - not on my end!! But with the red underline on computer unsure spelling, I've never needed it!! I wonder if the forum or the software "senses" that our spell check system is activated and doesn't offer their version too? But that doesn't explain why RR doesn't have his button!!

(Posting just so no one thinks I'm not paying attention.)

I knew you were keeping up ! I'm just hoping that JB will jump in (when he returns), and clear this up. :)

Again, I'm ok with everything, it's just that I'm still curious, as to how I can be the only one, that has experienced having a forum "Spell Checker", and then losing it. Still, I like the new forum, and as JB says, "it's all good", I suppose, maybe there's still a little tweaking to be done (?), but again, "it's still all good". :ani_victory:

I remember the day when I had to KNOW how to spell... maybe this is just a brain exercise for us all?

I just tried right-click and "check spelling" came-up and actually corrected a mis-spelling... then I purposely misspelled another word and tried again and it did not recognize the error.

I now get three different "check spelling" windows that open randomly...(which range from 10 to 22 listed options, all include a "check spelling"). Sometimes it works, sometimes not! ...I experimented numerous times.

Even though I misspell a word it often does NOT catch the error yet states "The spelling check is complete" ...I have no idea what's-up!?!?!?

Like you had to know how to do math, too!! No calculators to do the job!! Closest thing to a calculator was a slide rule in my day!!

All I had was an abacus!!!

Let the youngsters look that one up!