KiteLife Forum

What happened to my "SPELL CHECKER" ?

I remember the day when I had to KNOW how to spell... maybe this is just a brain exercise for us all?

I just tried right-click and "check spelling" came-up and actually corrected a mis-spelling... then I purposely misspelled another word and tried again and it did not recognize the error.

I now get three different "check spelling" windows that open randomly...(which range from 10 to 22 listed options, all include a "check spelling"). Sometimes it works, sometimes not! ...I experimented numerous times.

Even though I misspell a word it often does NOT catch the error yet states "The spelling check is complete" ...I have no idea what's-up!?!?!?

Well, that's quite interesting ? Three different spell checkers ? That is "weirrd"...........

As you can see, it didn't work here either, as the word "weird", was intentionally misspelled as "weirrd"..........

I also, have no idea what's up, but thanks for the information !

Like you had to know how to do math, too!! No calculators to do the job!! Closest thing to a calculator was a slide rule in my day!!

Yeah SV, and I've still got 3 of them, and still know how to use them, believe it or not ! I can't figure out how to check my spelling with it, however :confused!: , and adding & substracting is still kinda tough.

Look familiar ?

post-4670-0-07621400-1314016856_thumb.jp

Sorry Jynx, lost my abacus ! :ani_victory:

I used to have my dad's, but I've lost it long ago!!! Never did have an abacus, probably just as accurate as the slide rule!! :ani_victory:

But the real question is, "did you know how to use it". There is no question, about it's accuracy, only about the operator :)

As for the abacus, I think Jynx is kidding about that one...... :ani_giveup:

Hi guys, just getting caught up now...

1. Regarding any spell check button on the formatting bar either in quick reply or full editor... This might have existed at one time, but may not have been carried over into a new version of the forum software when we did an upgrade sometime... Nothing is broken, if it's gone - it's just been removed from the feature list.
  2. Regarding multiple spellcheckers popping up (as Jynx described), this is most likely a *local* function, something that was integrated with either your operating system (like Vista) or in your web browser of choice (my Firefox has this feature via right click)... I'd suggest this option for anyone.
  3. Myself, I *never* rely on anything but the basics (essential formatting, reply, post, etc)... Forum softwares change, sometimes dramatically.

Any questions? :ani_victory:

:)

To clarify #3, some things will *always* be present on forums such as bold, underline, italic, image links, hyperlinks, quote, etc, etc...

Those I rely on, but things like spellchecking, YouTube video code and such are "addons" more often than not, or sit way further down on the software developer's priority list.

I know my response didn't give the answer(s) you were hoping for, but I speak only the truth. :)

Like you had to know how to do math, too!! No calculators to do the job!! Closest thing to a calculator was a slide rule in my day!!

Yeah SV, and I've still got 3 of them, and still know how to use them, believe it or not ! I can't figure out how to check my spelling with it, however :confused!: , and adding & substracting is still kinda tough.

Look familiar ?

post-4670-0-07621400-1314016856_thumb.jp

Sorry Jynx, lost my abacus ! :)

Need one?

SlideRules-s.jpg

If log-log-deci-trig means anything to you, you just may have been a sliderule super-user.

EDIT: The yellow one would have been the most expensive. The 10" circular rules would have been the most accurate - equivalent to a 30" slide rule.

Edited by --Pete

I have to admit, a couple of those were my dad's. But, a bunch were mine that I used in college.

Somewhere in my dad's stuff are a couple of abaci (actually an abacus and a saraband - one has two 5-beads above the bar and the other has only one , but I could not tell you which was which without going to Wikipedia.) I don't think he used those in college, though.

Edit: Awright I went to Wiki - The Chinese abacus has the two upper beads; the Japanese version is a SOROBAN (means Counting Tray) and has just the one 5-bead. I guess you have to do your carrying on the fly with that kind. (Evidently a saraband is a kind of dance.)

Edited by --Pete