KiteLife Forum

--Pete

Ok here ! :akuma: The house did a bit of trembling (I thought it was a big wind gust at first), then I realized that the whole floor was shaking, and that the refrigerator was rocking (like a washing machine that has gotten out of balance). Got a few more gray hairs, but otherwise, A-OK ! Thanks for checking ! :)

Now if we can just dodge this hurricane :)

How about up your way ?

We were driving through Raleigh o our way home and never felt a thing. Found out about it from our daughter in a text message.

Now we have to prepare for the hurricane.

Reef Runner - I would say you're in a pretty safe place.

Come down and stay with us and get the real experience. We're tying down kayaks, putting away patio furniture and checking out the storm shutters tomorrow.

What a wonderful thing to come home to.

kjm

Reef Runner - I would say you're in a pretty safe place.

Come down and stay with us and get the real experience. We're tying down kayaks, putting away patio furniture and checking out the storm shutters tomorrow.

What a wonderful thing to come home to.

kjm

Hey Photomom,

Good Luck, and yes, I'm glad that I don't live on the coast, at times like this, but I'll be over there next week (Nags Head). Hope it misses you, down on the Crystal Coast, but living on the ocean is always a gamble, but usually, the good times, outweigh the bad ones. I hope this isn't a bad one, for you...........Hang Tight !! :)

Now if we can just dodge this hurricane :)

How about up your way ?

Glad to hear you are all OK.

We just sent our kids (40+, not really kids) back to Florida last night. We didn't feel any ground shaking here at the house, but plenty of people locally (usually sitting in a firm chair) did feel the shake 600+ miles away, so it was a serious earth movement, especially for this part of the world.

Now we just have to watch where Irene actually goes. The kids both live somewhat inland, so battening down the hatches and stocking up on water and gas will probably suffice.

You get some of the best kite flying just before a hurricane (calm before the storm). I've grown up enjoying hurricanes, it's fun & exciting if you take it with the right attitude. As far as the 'quake... what 'quake ? :)

You get some of the best kite flying just before a hurricane (calm before the storm). I've grown up enjoying hurricanes, it's fun & exciting if you take it with the right attitude. As far as the 'quake... what 'quake ? :)

Hey Rob,

I hope you can still say that, after this weekend. Hang in there guy, it's going to be a rough one ! Good Luck

Hey Photomom,

Good Luck, and yes, I'm glad that I don't live on the coast, at times like this, but I'll be over there next week (Nags Head). Hope it misses you, down on the Crystal Coast, but living on the ocean is always a gamble, but usually, the good times, outweigh the bad ones. I hope this isn't a bad one, for you...........Hang Tight !! :)

Hey Photo mom,

I really do wish you the best. It's obvious now, that you guys are going to get the "C _ _ P" kicked out of you, over there in Carteret County. Hang in there, and please, please be safe. It's going to be a rough night for you, I'm sure. Hopefully it will be over quickly. I've got a friend up in Nags Head, that I talked to this afternoon, and I could definitely hear the "concern" in his voice, even though he said he wasn't worried about it. NOT - I know he was, and he's got three properties, plus his life, to worry about.............

Good Luck.......... :)

Hey Photomom,

Based on reports and TV footage, you've had a terrible experience, over your way. Looks like you guys took the initial "landfall" hit. I hope your damage wasn't too severe. I know you don't have any power right now, so you probably aren't seeing this post, any time soon, anyway, but be assured, our thoughts and prayers are definitely with you...........Hang Tight

Hey Rob,

I hope you can still say that, after this weekend. Hang in there guy, it's going to be a rough one ! Good Luck

Hey Rob,

Thank goodness, this thing is about to leave NC. Hang on buddy, because it's heading straight for your front door. Hang tight! This thing really kicked butt, down at Atlantic Beach, NC, where Photomom lives. I hope she didn't get hit too bad, but things don't look good there, or anywhere else on the NC Coast..............BTW....they have 100% - NO POWER

Well, I hope that everything is well in NC... and the cleanup isn't too bad. I cleaned all of the kids' toys out of the yard and secured what I could. The 85mph winds that they're calling for are on par with the Nor'easters we get in the winter, so hopefully the storms last winter cleaned all the weak trees and branches out all ready. Fingers crossed...

~Rob.

BTW... the last big hurricane we had come through here (hurricane Gloria) knocked our power out for more than two weeks. I might not be online for a while... :ani_wallbash:

Well, I hope that everything is well in NC... and the cleanup isn't too bad. I cleaned all of the kids' toys out of the yard and secured what I could. The 85mph winds that they're calling for are on par with the Nor'easters we get in the winter, so hopefully the storms last winter cleaned all the weak trees and branches out all ready. Fingers crossed...

~Rob.

BTW... the last big hurricane we had come through here (hurricane Gloria) knocked our power out for more than two weeks. I might not be online for a while... :ani_wallbash:

Good Luck............and the Weather Channel just said, that you guys, at least, won't have to experience what we had, because it has now weakened a bit, and it's now moving much faster.........Hang Tight & Good Luck

We're alive and still here! It wasn't too bad because Irene had weakened to a borderline cat 1 - cat 2. But it was so large we thought it was never going to go away. The house we're in took no damage whatsoever. We're raking the yard now and picking up small limbs. Our neighbors lost two trees and both missed the house. Our other house (yes, at the moment we have two houses here) also took no damage but we did end up with a couple of very tall pines leaning over it and our neighbors. Got someone to take them and one other down this morning and put them by the road. We're hoping FEMA will be arranging for storm debris pick-up. We'll probably be spending the next there days to a week picking up limbs there and raking the pine cones and needles.

Oh, yes, the power went out at 9:30 Friday night and still hasn't been restored. However, we have a whole house generator so we're getting along fine. Hot shower tonight after all this raking. Still don't have phone to cable. And internet was only recently restored from Saturday morning. Thank goodness I like to read.

We've spoken with the folks at Kites Unlimited and they are just fine. There was no damage at the store or their house. They were just waiting for the power to come back on like the rest of us. Unfortunately our weekly Sunday kite fly at Fort Macon was canceled because of the curfew. That was a bummer. LOL.

We have been really blessed and fared so much better than most. Thanks for thinking about us.

kjm

We have been really blessed and fared so much better than most. Thanks for thinking about us.

kjm

Glad to hear you're ok, Photomom........ TV showed things to be pretty bad (Atlantic Beach), down your way. I think Nags Head had some really bad flooding, especially, sound-side. Hwy 12 is a disaster, with breaches in several places. I can't imagine what would have happened, had this been a Cat 3 or 4...............We've all been blessed, for sure. Now for the folks stranded out on Hatteras Island. That's going to be a real mess.

Take care................. :ani_wallbash:

We're probably better off without TV. We don't know how bad it is that way. They do tend to sensationalize. Any one want to get some extra exercise? Picking up limbs (strengthening the thighs and lower back by bending and stooping) and raking (strengthening the upper arms and upper back with the pulling motion). Not to mention the cardio (huffing and puffing at the unaccustomed exercise). Oh, and don't forget the pounds lost through sweat. Who needs a gym when you've got a hurricane. LOL

kjm

Hey there...

I have to go to work to get an internet connection, but other than that... we're getting along. I even got to use my chainsaw for the first time in a few years. Good fun. I'll get some pictures up later if the utilities are back in place when I get home.

~Rob.

Well, the power's back on, and just to make sure we lit every light in the house ! This was no where near as bad as it could've been. The best part is it brought all the neighbors out of thier houses and forced them to hang out with each other. We didn't loose any trees in our yard, but it looked like someone left a tree chipper on in our backyard overnight !

So, I put some pictures up, but they're certainly not as bad as other areas that got hit.

http://ferob.com/pictures.php?folder=/HurricaneIrene/&PHPSESSID=425ca908edf891b52057627b8fa322ad

Just pictures walking down the block & the town.

~Rob.