KiteLife Forum

Indoor Dual Line Kites

ebrogren (RIP)

I am a three year dual line outdoor flier, becoming more and more interested in indoor flying. I live near a public park space that often has zero or near-zero wind. I have become successful flying single line Borelli gliders and a Platz glider there, and recently had my first taste of flying in a gym - delightful! ! I have been working on flying my Prism 4D on windless days in my park space, but the learning is going slow and painful. I can do up-and-overs and brief merry-go-rounds until the kite descends to the ground or I get dizzy. I can't keep it airborne well enough the reverse the direction or pull it up and over again. I'm at an age where agility an balance are not at their best, so I need all the help I can get. Does anyone have suggestions for a kite, possibly lighter than the 4D, that would make my learning easier? I'm also open to advice on line length or any other advice. I began with 15 foot lines, but am now using 7 foot lines, which seem to make it easier.

Did I see you fly at the gym at 2011 WSIKF ? Whether that was you or not, more power to you. What an inspiration ! It was there on the afternoon open gym practice sessions that I was fortunate to have my first taste of real indoor flying. I'm working on a possible place to fly indoors in Bellevue, and a lot depends upon my finding a close, inexpensive venue. That's why I've started with a home-made Borelli and my existing 4D. If a gym access works out I might consider buying an indoor Rev.

I'm only slightly farther along in learning to fly a Rev outdoors than flying a dual line indoors. I'll admit the Rev does look easier, and I can already appreciate a kite that doesn't demand that you keep it in high speed motion to stay airborne.

Many thanks for the encouragement.

That could have been me at WSIKF!! Came in Wed. night and found the gym was for demos only, didn't have any music, cold (no warm-up), not the best situation, but took the plunge anyway!! They found me some music and off I went!! Enjoyed it so much, I did it again on Thurs. night!!! You hit on something there though, finding a place to go on a consistent basis!! If you find one, it makes getting that Indoor a worthwhile investment!! Getting one before having a place will provide a bit of urgency to look harder!! I have the use of an indoor soccer field during the week, as long as there are no practices or classes scheduled!! Weekends are totally booked for games, so I look for outdoor venues and fly my outdoor Revs!! If you do go for an Indoor, I really recommend watching John B's tutorials on indoor flying!! Covers all the basic stuff and some advanced things too!!! They really helped me get started!! And I can't say enough about the encouragement I got from Connor and his mom, Amy!! She convinced me that indoor was still within my abilities and even let me play with her glider for most of the day at Camas!! Without her support and John's tutorials, I'd still be sitting, watching, and wondering if I could!! Now - YEEHAW!!! Got a saying about indoor - The wind is always the same!!! Good luck and don't be afraid to try!!!

I would never have guessed that you were flying to new music. It was a great flight ! I wish i had video-recorded it, as I did for some of the other demos and some of the competition on Friday night, And I really wish I'd gotten a still shot of you and Conner together after your flight. That was a touching moment.

I've watched John's videos and wish I could find similar tutorials for indoor dual line kites. The best I've found is the demonstration of basic moves done by Paul de Bakker, which I fortunately recorded at Lincoln City in March. He makes it look so easy !

Thanks again for your advise and inspiration. You can be sure that I'll continue to Try.

Paul designed the glider I tried at Camas, last year!! Him and Toby make it look so easy, but I've found the Rev to be more to my liking!! Talk about "soul flying", both Weds. and Thurs. nights, were not scheduled deliberately to happen!! Weds. night, I don't even remember the title of the song played during my demo!! All I remember is that it was a Beatle song! Thurs. night, originally they were going to play "Sexy Sadie" for me, but that was too fast for my tastes, and I switched it to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"! Forgot it was so long!!! Almost ran outta steam with that one!! But it was a night I'll never forget!!!!

PS: There have to be other links to some dualie indoor action, good luck on TRYING!!!!