KiteLife Forum

Switching from dual to quad lines

4lnKITE

Hello everyone, hope I'm not being redundant but didn't see anything that was exactly directed to this subject...

I'm new to Kitelife but love all of the knowledge you all put out there. I have spent the past ten years flying dual line kites; saw JB's you tube video "zen play" and was hooked on the Rev. My first rev, a b-series is due in today. I can't wait! However, in the interim, I talked to an acquaintance who also flys, in showing him the video he said "I have one of those" (a rev). He loaned it to me to try out till mine arrived. The rev he let me use though is an entry model made in the 90's called a Bactracker. Terrible plastic handles that are basically winders, less than desirable line, and the kite is only about 5' long, so it's touchy. Very difficult to fly so far, wind hasn't been good either, 5-7 mph and variable.

Getting to the point, do you have any pointers in switching from a dual line to a quad? My normal reaction when the kite gets into trouble in the air is to pull one hand like a dual line, which I'm finding out is NOT the answer :ani_wallbash: anything will help. I'm thinking the larger 1.5 should help, along with 20 years worth of improvements since the 90's, and JB's advice :D, in making the transition a little smoother. Looking forward to LOTS of practice.

Thanks and happy flying!

I can suggest 2 things!! ! - check that all 4 lines are equal!! Stake 1 end of all 4, put your handles on, then make sure the handles are even!! If not, adjust the line or lines that need it!! Nothing more maddening than a kite that wants to go somewhere by itself!! 2 - If the kite gets out of control and is about to crash - GIVE TO THE KITE!!! Don't pull, that only accelerates it into the ground and can cause breakage!!!! Even if it means walking at the kite, impacts will be so much less!! That's not to say that these things are delicate, they'll absorb a lot more punishment than you'll think, but up to a point!! Better to keep flying and learning, than waiting for replacements!!!

I started on a Backtracker - if you can keep 1 of those airborne, any thing else will feel so much easier!!!

PS: What "B" model did you get?? Std, midvent, or full vent?

Thanks stroke victim, good info. I've enjoyed reading a bunch of your other posts as well. Stepping into it or giving to it will stick in my mind. :ani_wallbash:

I got the standard B series as I live in Lancaster county PA. Not a lot of high wind days, most days 5-8 mph. If all goes well With learning I'll purchase one of the vented models for the higher wind days at the beach. Looking for an every day flyer to get my feet wet. Keep the info coming guys; I'm a sponge when it comes to new ventures! Thanks again I'll talk to you again with more questions and flight updates. :D

Haven't heard or seen the names yet, but this is my third day on the site. I'll look for the names and send a message, I'd love to hook up with someone "in the know" if you speak to them regularly send them my way. Thanks!

PS - not a dual line lost. Still love 'em  just looking for a new challenge. As I said, I'm a perpetual student. 

Ouch...a Backtracker....even Revolution tends to look the other way when those are brought up. That is not one of the best flying Rev's for sure and as mentioned, if you can fly a Backtracker, everything else will be simple. LOL

You will love the B-Series, it is an awesome kite. Biggest thing to learn is that all the Rev controls are in the wrist, not pulling left and right. Once you get that down then the rest will be easy.

Hi Justin, as Kent said, the Backtracker is a questionable example of a quad line kite... Best forgotten, except as a piece of history.

The one tip going dual to quad, as mentioned before, keep your hands pretty much in front of you and keep your airborne inputs small while you get a feel for it.

Let us know how your experiences go with the new B-Series kite, can't wait to hear all about it! :ani_wallbash:

Kent, that's ironic, just spoke to you on the phone last week about advantages of buying a 1.5 sle or the b-series. B series it was from A Wind of Change. Great service by the way. John and Kent, thank you both for the advice I appreciate your time. I was as giddy as a child opening that package today; with any luck we'll have the maiden voyage tomorrow, might be taking a long lunch :ani_wallbash:

I'll keep you posted.

Hi Justin, as Kent said, the Backtracker is a questionable example of a quad line kite... Best forgotten, except as a piece of history.

The one tip going dual to quad, as mentioned before, keep your hands pretty much in front of you and keep your airborne inputs small while you get a feel for it.

Let us know how your experiences go with the new B-Series kite, can't wait to hear all about it! :ani_wallbash:

Alright fellas, first flight went way better than I expected. Had 4-5 mph wind, used the 2 wrap frame and in fifteen minutes hit two axles and a flic flac!!! Just kidding, seriously though, only got to fly for about 40 min and the wind was variable(was not in a large open area) flight was very nice. Take offs were good inverted and upright, made some leisurely turns, landings were gentle. I had a hard time making it hover smoothly, but I'll attribute that to light wind and mostly inexperience. About 30 min in I got a little overconfident and pancaked it for my only walk of shame. :D it was a blast! This weekend I'm heading to the Chesapeake bay, looking forward to some better wind and hours of flying. Im coming off of reconstructive knee surgery from playing soccer and told my wife I'd consider giving up soccer for the safer sport kiting.

That's a subjective thing, myself, I've never had to double up the LEs!! I watch the LE, if it's bending past my comfort level, then change it out for stronger!! On the opposite side, if the LE doesn't give and bend, then you've probably got too heavy a frame set and need to lighten it up!! Generally, you'll see or feel when things need changing!!

PS: the rods are very strong for their weight and will handle a lot more than we think!! That's not to say there isn't a limit!!

PSS: if you think you need both LEs in there, the wind is probably too much and you'll risk stretching out that sail!!

That's a subjective thing, myself, I've never had to double up the LEs!! I watch the LE, if it's bending past my comfort level, then change it out for stronger!! On the opposite side, if the LE doesn't give and bend, then you've probably got too heavy a frame set and need to lighten it up!! Generally, you'll see or feel when things need changing!!

PS: the rods are very strong for their weight and will handle a lot more than we think!! That's not to say there isn't a limit!!

PSS: if you think you need both LEs in there, the wind is probably too much and you'll risk stretching out that sail!!

I was told, by my kite dealer or J.B. talks about it in the vid that came with my J.B. series rev, or both, that the stripes in the sail pattern is designed to stretch in such a way as to fill the sail even better after stretching with use over time. Maybe John can chime in and give us a lesson in sail design and stretching.

I'm in agreement on the stretch being better controlled by the vertical panels, BUT there is a point of too much!!! That's why there are several models, STD., Midvent, and Full vent! Sort of like golf clubs - you wouldn't use a driver to chip the ball 10 yards or try to cover 250 yards with a wedge!! Different sails to match wind conditions and a variety of rods to even further refine the feel you want after figuring out the right kite!! Experience kicks in and gives you a starting point and you adjust from there! :ani_giveup:

I'm in agreement on the stretch being better controlled by the vertical panels, BUT there is a point of too much!!! That's why there are several models, STD., Midvent, and Full vent! Sort of like golf clubs - you wouldn't use a driver to chip the ball 10 yards or try to cover 250 yards with a wedge!! Different sails to match wind conditions and a variety of rods to even further refine the feel you want after figuring out the right kite!! Experience kicks in and gives you a starting point and you adjust from there! :ani_giveup:

You wont be suprised to learn that I put with my 9 iron. :group:

WHAT??!! OK, I'm through laughing now!!! I used to play before my stroke, I couldn't image using a 9 iron!! But I am serious about the different sail and rod combos, there is a good bit of variety with the different combos, and you find what works on any given day!! An example: I wouldn't put a 4 wrap frame in a std, if I needed that much frame, I'd switch to a mid or full vent! Rather than risk stretching the sail, I'd change to a different kite designed to handle more wind and be able to use a lighter frame!! It does help to have all the frames, 2, 3, 4, and race, but conditions dictate the best combo at any given time!! The temptation to use that stronger frame will let you still use the sail, but at what cost? So I'm in favor of matching up to the winds on any given day and using the best kite/rod combo you can!! IMHO, of course!!