KiteLife Forum

Revolution differences

Shell66

I'm really new to all this and wanting to learn the art of the quad kites. I'm looking into purchasing my first kite and found different series/types of revolution kites; Rev I, Rev II, EXP, and 1.5 SLE, etc. What are the differences between the types and which one would be best to start with? I've found a really good deal for an EXP but wanted to get input before purchasing. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :ani_idea:

Shell66

Hi Shell, welcome to the forum! :D

You're always welcome to ask questions here, but from time to time, someone will provide reference to a better source for info...

In this case, there is a specific area of the Rev forum which covers all of your questions (and then some) in delicious detail. :ani_idea:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/forum/27-buying-your-first-rev/

Rest easy, the information there is user-derived...

Purely flier to flier feedback and support, with occasional comments from Rev staff.

If you don't find what you need, you'll definitely know more and be able to make specific inquiries. :ani_idea:

• Like 1

Shell,

I first saw a Rev kite sometime in the 1990's. Still had kids at home and couldn't quite bring myself to spend that much on a kite that might end up in the back of my closet. In hindsight, that was a mistake. Should have bought two and gotten my son interested at the same time.

Don't let any of the input from the Rev forum discourage you from purchasing the EXP if that's what you can afford right now. The fun factor with an EXP is just as great as with a custom Bazzer made Pro. The friends you'll meet are the same! Just get a Rev today and get into the hobby.

With the videos John has assembled, you can teach yourself to fly Revs. But, it's much faster and more fun to hook up with someone who already knows how to fly. Why don't you change your profile to tell us where you're located in Iowa? Iowa is not the center of kite flying, but you might scare up someone nearby who flies Revs.

Cheers,

Tom

Shell

The only issue I see with the purchase of an EXP is that most likely you'll wind-up purchasing a 1.5 series Rev in the future (as most of us have)... and the EXP will likely take a back-seat!

IMHO ~ Buy a 1.5 series, take care of it and it will give you many WINDerFULL years of flying and no need to upgrade!

Keokuk might be a little more removed from the center of kite flying than my area.

There are two clubs, that I know about, within driving distance from you. The Quad Cities Kite Club out of Davenport, IA, has some contact info on their web site. James Patten is the president and flys Revs ... along with SLK. The Gateways Kite Club out of St Louis, MO also has contact info on their web site. Donna Houchins is their secretary and flies Revs. Both individuals are good fliers, great kite builders and good folks to get to know.

You might also look at the IKE club ... their membership comes mainly from all over Illinois and Wisconsin. Most of it's membership is centered around Chicago, but there are some stragglers who live further out.

Cheers,

Tom

If you have a peachy deal on the EXP it is a good starer Rev. Nothing wrong with EXP's.

However if you can run to the cost of a B then that migh be even better for you as you will not outgrow it so quickly.

Whichever One you get, for all thier slightly diffrent qualities, I am sure you will love it.

Let us all know how you get on, and welcome to the Forum.

Hmmm ... you wouldn't have anything to do with the Keokuk Kite Festival would you?

Cheers,

Tom

Well, yes I did go. I bought a couple kites for my grandsons and my husband and I have more fun with them than they do. I didn't get to check out the quad kites much from chasing the boys but I was definitely watching them! I've always loved watching kites though. When I was little my dad and I would fly box kites out over the river while sitting in the park. I lived near the Milwaukee area for 8 years and went to the kite festival a few times there and was in awe. I figure it's now time to get into doing something that I would really love to do.

Were you there?

Unfortunately, I missed the Keokuk festival this year ... we're out west. Attended last year though. The folks flying the Revs were IKE members ... the team was 180GO!. Any one of those guys would have shown you how to fly and then let you fly their kite.

Be sure to tell us what you've finally settled on for a kite.

Cheers,

Tom

If you have a choice between a Chevy and a Porsche, consider several factors.

If you are learning to drive, is a Porsche really going to teach you more?

After you learn to drive, and can afford a Porsche, are you really going to junk the Chevy, or use it to go grocery shopping?

EXPs fly pretty well. I put mine aside AD (after addiction) for a year or so to fly my newer (and more expensive) SLEs and B series. Then I broke out my poor neglected EXP and flew it again to become re-acquainted. I now keep it in my car in case of "decent winds" here in the land of very poor winds, and also to let friends and relatives get a taste of quad kite flying, without endangering the kites I cannot afford to replace. The EXP is a solid, decent flying kite that does not have to be relegated to the dust bin AD (after addiction) when you purchase your stable of better kites. But, BD (Before Addiction), it can teach you the basics as well as any of the kites. The fabric also seems more robust (rip-stop nylon?), although heavier and probably less dimensionally stable. Does that all sound like better beginner's kite? Does to me.

So, if you can afford the better SLE, or B, or even B-Pro kites - go for them. But only if you know that you are going to be a devoted quad flier. To sample the experience, and learn the basics, the EXP will do very well.

Myself, I have my original EXP, an SLE, two B's, and two second hand Rev IIs, and one second hand Rev 1. See how that all cascades? For a beginner, I would suggest the 1.5 size (EXP et. al). When you want new experiences, the Rev II (hey, new B-2s look really neat - want, want) are a kick with faster response. As for the Rev I, I'll let you fly mine for the experience.

My personal take on these basic size choices:

Rev II - think (somewhat twitchy) sports car. (B-2 reputed to be less twitchy)

Rev 1.5 - think (great handling) sedan. These are the general workhorses because they work (fly) so well.

Rev I - think 1 ton truck. OK, slow and majestic if you want to think of them that way.

• Like 1

So, if you can afford the better SLE, or B, or even B-Pro kites - go for them. But only if you know that you are going to be a devoted quad flier.

To sample the experience, and learn the basics, the EXP will do very well.

Almost exactly what I tell first time inquirers out on the field, well said!