KiteLife Forum

Looking For a Quad Foil

PJD

Hi all,

I'm an infrequent flyer but have been flying for many years. I have a few quadline kites including a rev but want to spend some $ on a new one.

I'm looking for a foil. I already have an old Quadrifoil 24 I've had since the early 90's and enjoy it immensely, especially the pull and the compact design of a quad foil. I'm thinking that by this time, there have been many improvements that would allow for greater maneuverability and better wind range. I've checked web sites and see there are a lot of quad foils out there. I just don't see many user reviews and need help in making a decision.

I am NOT looking for a power kite to pull a buggy or board. This is just for fun. Having said that, I don't mind getting pulled around some.

I'm open to your suggestions.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'll be interested in the answers that you get. I have a number of quads, and enjoy them tremendously. But all except a NPW are sparred quads (and almost entirely Rev's). I have a friend who has a Go Fly Quad 1.4 Parafoil that he picked up on ebay for about $50, but we've never been together at a field with enough wind when he had it for me to try. At the beach last fall I tried some sort of power quad foil kite, but my small 150 lb frame was pulled across the beach with it. My NPW gives me a run for my money when the wind is up a little.

I think I might enjoy a small quad foil that won't pull me too much. So it'll be good to see what you hear from the question.

Thanks, Doug

Well Doug,

It doesn't look as if this forum gets much activity. I'm amazed that there hasn't been a response yet. I see most of the posts are related to Revs. I have a rev, too, but I enjoy other quads.

I'm wondering if quad foils have lost their popularity? I find it very convenient to be able to have a packable kite with some decent pull.

Anybody out there have any recommendations or can steer me to someplace that does kite reviews? I checked here at kitelife.com but didn't see any kite reviews at all. I remember when it first started, kite reviews was a regular feature. I wonder why it stopped? Too many sponsors not wanting to hear others opinions?

Hi Phil,

Quad foils have become far less popular since their heyday in the early 90's... As have many other quad variations we've seen in our time.

As for reviews, the hardest thing we've found is either getting this kites to test or finding a panel of fliers who can objectively handle the testing.

The next issue of Kitelife will have 2 or 3 reviews, the most we've had in awhile.

I disagree John...I think in the past few years traction kiting has really taken off.

Thats why all the bans on beaches & other favorite flying spots.

I was hesitant to respond as Phil wasn't looking for a kite to use as it was meant.

Any kite can offer pull & enable body drags in sufficient wind.

If he was looking for a kite to buggy,surf...or any other traction activity.....then may be I'd have jumped right in with a few suggestions.But I'm not sure what to suggest for him.

No doubt there is a BIG difference between a brand name foil for traction kiting verses a trainer or off brand kite.

A name brand would be a manufacturer who makes more than just a few sizes & lines.Most paraglider manufacturers make high end traction kites.

To drop a few names of good foils....

Peter Lynn,Jojo,Libre,Flexifoil(Blades),Ozone,to name just a few.There are many more too.

These manufacturers also produce a few lines of kites designed for beginner,intermediate & advanced flyers.

Depending on application & skill level....there are many good choices.

Whatever phil decides.....he would be surprised at the power of todays kites compared to his old quadrifoil.I hope he sticks to a smaller kite for his own safety.....as they can be dangerous.

FFor his application I'd say the kites he see's for under $100 would do fine.They just won't be as nice to fly.(handling).

Hope you find the kite you're looking for.

Good Winds

Mike

Thanks Mike for your views on traction kites. I'm sure traction kiting is a lot of fun, it's just not what I'm looking for. And Yes, I am looking for a good brand name - not a cheap knock off that doesn't perform as expected.

Now, if you can tell me which of those brands you mentioned has a smaller version (say, 15 square feet or more) that's not meant to be used for traction but performs well, will not collapse easily at the edge of the wind window, has no spars and allows sail, bridle and handles to be stuffed into a sack; I can begin to make some decisions. All the hype on the manufacturer's web pages is just confusing. That's why I'm looking to this forum for help.

And I'm still waiting to hear from everyone who enjoys non-traction, quad foils, too. I know I can't be the only one!

Anybody out there??? Or is there another web site I should be checking?

I disagree John...I think in the past few years traction kiting has really taken off.

I may not have been clear, the shortage of quad foils I was referring to was with regard to those made simply for the fun of flying... The power kites have obviously been doing quite well, but the majority of them are more kite than Phil might be looking for. I could be mistaken, but that was my understanding. :)

Cool.

You have many choices Phil.I think all I mentioned have sizes starting around 1-1/2meters.

Some have trainer kites in the 1-3meter size....but they are mostly to simulate a larger kite on a control bar.

I believe you are looking for a beginner/intermediate type foil..with handles..

I'll drop some names,models & sizes.....add a website so you can make an informed decision or least see what it looks like.Hows that?

Here we go....(in no particular order of preference)

1-Libre-SpeedyII-they have sizes-1.7m,2.1m,2.6m......there are many more but I'll only give you under 3m sizes.I think thats all you'd need for what you're looking for.

-view at- www.libre.de/englisch/sailing/libre.htm

2-Jojo-ET(instinct)-sizes 1.5m or 2.5m.....

-view at-www.libre.de/englisch/sailing/jojo.htm

3-Ozone-LDStunt-1.5m

view at-www.flyozone.com/ozkites/kframe.htm

4-Concept Air-First-2m or 3m....

view at- www.conceptair.com/english/price/traction/first_e.htm

5-Peter Lynn-Rebble-2.5m.....

View at- www.powerkiteshop.com/kites/peterlynnrebble.htm

6-Flexifoil-Bullet-1.5m or 2.5m

view at- www.powerkiteshop.com/kites/flexifoilbullet.htm

7-Airea-Bronto-2m or 3m....

view at-www.foilzone.com/kite-manufacturors/airea/airea.htm

THere...that 'll confuse you!lol..all those choices.

Please keep in mind I fly or have flown these manufacturers.....but not all the particular models specified.Being a power nut I tend to use the high performance models.They are superior in power & handling.....however they are very twitchy in gusty winds(if not down right dangerous).They tend to bow tie/invert,collapse,etc. in crap wind.The models specified are more forgiving & more stable.

Please be cautious first outtings...least till you become use to the kites capabilities & your comfortable wind range with it.

Best of Luck

Good Winds

Mike

Hey Mike,

Just the kind of thing I was looking for! Looks like I have some homework to do now.

If I can google some opinions or reviews, I can narrow down the field.

Thanks,

I only listed higher end kites.I havent flown a quad para stunter,but I think I have a two line version.Was there a two line first??Anyways.... I have flown a firebee.

Even the larger firebees fly like crap.(sorry firebee lovers....if there are any)(anywhere.lol)

We did find with significant rebridling that the firebee would fly not too bad.But still not good in my opinion.

Now....as far as price....they sure are cheap(compared to a high ender)...but often you get what you pay for.

Later

Good Winds

Mike

Have to agree with Mike on the list, all of them are very good kites that are stable and easy to fly, easy to set up, easy to pack away in a small sack. If I had to pick only one kite from that list I would recommend the Ozone LD Stunt 1.5 or the slightly larger Little Devil 2.1 meter (if you want a little more power). Both of these kites will fly very well, extremly stable and are nearly impossible to bowtie or fold up except for the nastiest of winds. Ozone quality is one of the highest in the industry as well, these kites will take a tremendous beating without sustaining severe damage.

Also as Mike has stated, start slow and cautious....I have buggied well over 40+ mph with a LD Stunt on the lake beds and when the wind is nukin' these small kites can seriously spank you if you let them. In the lighter winds they are very fun to fly and will provide only moderate amount of pull.

Your best bet would be to contact your local kite shop or local kiting group to test fly these kites before you buy to make sure that you are getting a kite that will fit your flying requirements. Today's power kites are far advanced over the kites of yesteryear and even the smallest of sizes can give substantial power in the proper wind ranges....after all, that's what they are designed to do. Your local shop should have demo kites that you can try out, flying the kite is the only way you will be able to see if it will work for you....asking how a certain kite flies is like asking someone what gum tastes like, you will get a ton of opinions but without flying it yourself you will never really know.

Hope this helps.

Both of these kites will fly very well, extremly stable and are nearly impossible to bowtie or fold up except for the nastiest of winds. 

windofchange,

One of the thing I enjoy doing is to have the quad spin in place like a trick bowtie. Does this mean the LD Stunt won't do that?

And thanks for mentioning that the newer foils generate a lot more pull than their older cousins. I did not realize that. I know the kind of pull my old Quadrifoil 25 can sustain and was thinking I should go with the Little Devil 2.1. Now I'm thinking the LD Stunt 1.5 might be better suited for me. Just enough pull without giving me tendinitis (no joke - it happened to me once! It took 2 months of physical therapy before my arm felt normal again).

I know it's always best to try before you buy but the nearest kite shop is 4 hours away so I'm not near anyplace where I can test drive any of the kites mentioned above. That's why I'm using the forums in the first place.

Please let me know what you mean by the bowtie effect as I do enjoy the spinning in place and want to know if that's what you mean.

Thanks,

Phil

the term bowtie refers to when the kite gets a twist in the center.often when one wingtip colapses & falls through the center bridle.Both wing tips are inflated..but center of the kite is just a big twist.Looks like a big bowtie.

Too bad you couldn't fly before you buy.But for your needs...anything small will do.

Now if you wanted a nice little high end beginner foil....the Jojo Instinct 1.5m is a very fast,powerfull little kite.I use one when wind is heavy.

Best of luck.

Good Winds

Mike