KiteLife Forum

A question about a Phoenix Supreme

Jorge Arellano

Hi everyone. Does any of you have experience with the phoenix supreme assembly? I have some doubts about the correct assembly , the instructions manual and the invento HQ(manufacturer) website dont have complete information on this. There is a mesh with velcro on the top and springs on the extremes that I cant figure whats the purpose and how to assemble it to the the kite.

Any help would be really appreciated. Seems that my previous kites were in the starters range and now this one is a little tricky and more complicated than I thought.

Thanks

Jorge

Jorge, could you post a photo of the mesh piece? It sounds like it might be a brake for flying in higher winds. If there is only one, it might be meant to attach across the lower spreader and down to the sail - - - or across the back of the sail from the points where the standoffs attach.

If there are 2 of them, they might be designed to go between the standoff rods, with sewn pockets down each side for the standoffs to go through.

A photo would help a lot. Is there a picture of it on the HQ website?

Hi Dorsal, found the info about the mesh, is called a streched presail, but it doesnt mention the real function of it. The third picture from above on this page shows it clearly:

http://ralf.naujoks24.de/phoenix-inside-e.html

Even the guys at www.invento-hq.com (manufacturers of the phoenix supreme) dont explain completely the use of this mesh. I think is kind of a brake, but dont know really. The instructions manual do not mentionate it as this manual is for a standard phoenix kite.

As soon as I found more I will let you know.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

have a great weekend.

Jorge

Jorge, that's definitely a high-wind brake system, attached in a method different than the others I mentioned.

It is meant to disturb the wind pressing against the front side of the sail, and decrease lift that way. You would only ever need it when flying in winds above 15 mph - maybe not until the wind reaches 20 mph. The vast majority of the time, I'll bet you just leave it in the kitebag and fly the kite without it.

I have a couple kites that included them, but I don't like flying in high winds anyway, so I've only ever used them once, I think. :unsure:

Hi John and Dorsal, the maidden flight for the Phoenix Supreme, was a success, flies great and pulls really hard, but after some ten minutes I noticed the lines were having a hard time, so I decided to call it quits and ordered a new set of dyneema lines for a 120lb pull. These will arrive tomorrow from a Kite Shop in Mexico City.

Th Phoenix flies great and has great control, the winds were at 15-18mph so the wind break was not needed at all.

In the 10 minutes on the air it was definitelly an eye catcher, as some people stand by to watch the kite. After the stop I took my Xkite and fly it for a while, I was good to see that after two hours there were some deltas flying around.

Its a good sign kites are making a come back here in Mexico.

I will keep you posted as soon as I test the kite with the new lines. Plan to get some pics too to show you.

Jorge

In the 10 minutes on the air it was definitelly an eye catcher, as some people stand by to watch the kite. After the stop I took my Xkite and fly it for a while, I was good to see that after two hours there were some deltas flying around.

In a time when kite shops are talking about business being hard, most of those who have been successful are going out and flying regularly... Flying = exposure.

I'm glad you had a good time, maybe you'll make some new local kiting friends as well! :unsure:

Hi, yesterday I flew the phoenix supreme with dyneema lines (120lb-85ft) at a wind of 10-12 mph. It flew great. A lot of people around and as last time, some people show with their kites too.

My younger brother (20 years old) flew a stunt kite for the first time and got hooked, he wants his own now. Some kids also got near and asked about the kite.

I think we are going to build some basic stunt kites out of plastic and fiber glass and start to give them to some lucky kids, maybe this will give them and idea of this kites and they could start to fly regularly. I think there could be a future in kites here (maybe a kite festival in the horizon... but now is only a dream)

Anyway... I think this has been the real maidden flight of the Phoenix... is a great kite, thanks again John for this great prize.

Have great winds!!

Jorge

Sounds like fun to give it a try, maybe I will go to a place about 200 miles from here is called windy city (not Chicago, the mexican windy city is Pachuca) theres a place called "los jales", kite bugging happens there. I will test the kite with those winds, I think I will need the wind brake there.

will keep you posted

Jorge