KiteLife Forum

Half Axel Help

toofazt

Seems like it's one of the easier tricks but every time I try it my line gets wrapped around the wing and I come crashing down. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I have a Prism Quantum and from what I've read it sounds like a capable kite... I can fly it great but the only trick I've been able to do so far is a Turtle. :)

I'm following this tutorial: http://fracturedaxel...?page=Half+Axel

Honestly, the Fractured Axel tutorial sounds complicated. All I do is fly horizontally: give slack to the bottom line and

a quick wrist snap "pop" to the top line. Get used to "popping the top line hand automatically so you can focus on the

slack with the off hand. Try visualizing it at home for best results.

Have you ever checked out Randyg's sportkite blog tutorials on you tube? He puts the kite into a very slight turtle

before the upper wing "pop". I don't know if it's necessary but I have a lot of respect for the tutorials because it's where

I learned almost all my tricks.

• Like 3
  • Like 1

Also, there's no substitute for meeting up with other skilled fliers. :)

I notice you're in Brookings, there are a few good fliers down that way, not sure if you've connected with any of them yet?

sirrom (Brett) has a pretty good read on the going ons there, and can put you in touch with the Rogue Valley Windchaser events... And, he knows a few things about dual line tricking. ;)

In addition to the RandyG tutorial, I found this tutorial useful for me...

http://youtu.be/TExHtY0RUJw

I'm still not sure if I can do the 1/2 axel correctly. Like John said, if you can find some skilled pilots to watch & learn from, you will be on a much faster learning curve. Take it from someone who flies alone, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to learn this stuff...

~Rob.

• Like 6

I'd also like to add that a 1/2 axel is one of those "unlocking" maneuvers... It's a new concept for newer fliers, essentially TRYING to make the kite unstable, it defies what we learned just trying to keep the thing in the air!

It will take a while to learn the 1/2 axel and cascade, but once you have those, they help "unlock" everything else in the trick line up.

I've been an old school dual line pilot since 1990, but I spent the whole of 2005's summer just learning tricks.

Randy Greenway's tutorials were really instrumental for me.

Other tricks you might work on at the same time, the "Lazy Susan", "Flapjack" and "Yo Yo Launch", all three are really validating to do and work from a totally different (more understandable) base of skills.

Also, the Quantum is a fair beginner kite, but you will need to understand that the kite is a tad on the heavy side and requires a little more work to do tricks on... It will do it, but it's a bit like doing donuts with a Civic... Can definitely do it, but isn't really built to do it well.

Again, meet up with another experienced flier... This will shave MONTHS off your learning curve, well worth it.

And other fliers are typically a friendly sort anyway, you'd enjoy it - I have no doubt. ;)

• Like 2

Also, there's no substitute for meeting up with other skilled fliers. :)

I notice you're in Brookings, there are a few good fliers down that way, not sure if you've connected with any of them yet?

sirrom (Brett) has a pretty good read on the going ons there, and can put you in touch with the Rogue Valley Windchaser events... And, he knows a few things about dual line tricking. ;)

I just moved here a month ago so haven't met anyone yet. What an awesome place to fly a kite though! I'll try to get in contact with Brett, thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I'd also like to add that a 1/2 axel is one of those "unlocking" maneuvers... It's a new concept for newer fliers, essentially TRYING to make the kite unstable, it defies what we learned just trying to keep the thing in the air!

It will take a while to learn the 1/2 axel and cascade, but once you have those, they help "unlock" everything else in the trick line up.

I've been an old school dual line pilot since 1990, but I spent the whole of 2005's summer just learning tricks.

Randy Greenway's tutorials were really instrumental for me.

Other tricks you might work on at the same time, the "Lazy Susan", "Flapjack" and "Yo Yo Launch", all three are really validating to do and work from a totally different (more understandable) base of skills.

Also, the Quantum is a fair beginner kite, but you will need to understand that the kite is a tad on the heavy side and requires a little more work to do tricks on... It will do it, but it's a bit like doing donuts with a Civic... Can definitely do it, but isn't really built to do it well.

Again, meet up with another experienced flier... This will shave MONTHS off your learning curve, well worth it.

And other fliers are typically a friendly sort anyway, you'd enjoy it - I have no doubt. ;)

The Quantum is a heavy kite but fun; it will drag me around when it gets gusty. I just picked up a Prism Micron and the Quantum seems sooo slow now, lol.

I'll try those tricks, might go out today. It's nice a sunny with a slight breeze. :) Thanks again.