KiteLife Forum

just ramblin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

streetrat

if ya cant test fly a potential make/model of a kite or dont know anyone who has one some of us are forced to just pay the price and find out for ourselfs!!!..............havent been flyin but about 8 months but already own 12 kites and have a good idea whats goin on. but finding the "right one" and learning the characteristix has been a challange and takes time and $$$$.... Not mentioning brands, I have one very nice home brew I payed $230 for " wide chord/low aspect ratio"and swear it will not pop up off the ground into a fade position !!!but will side slide fairly well.... then thiers the well known brand I payed $150 "high aspect ratio/norrow chord and will do almost anything "wish I could :D

Im not saying im an expert by any means but it still makes ya crazy finding the "one kite" that worx for you and believe its pilot skill/kite design that determines the capabilitys of the kite, what Im finding out is high aspect ratio seems to be the way to go, "that is if your trick minded.......I welcome all feed back >>>>>>>>>>>>> ;)

streetrat - - I own over 75 different kites. Over a dozen are quads, at least a dozen are SLK's, and all the rest with dual lines. Every kite is different, every kite has it's better and lesser qualities, and every kite has a specific wind range in which it's particular characteristics shine the best. Among the differences in characteristics, the one you will learn to appreciate the most is the different way each kite needs to be "handled" to reach its peak performance, and how that requirement matches your own methods and abilities.

Translation: Some kites need a heavy hand - they do not respond well to gentle transitions, or moderate inputs. Other kites will fall out of the sky if you try handling them the same way. Your assigmnent, should you accept, will be to learn what methods work best for the kites you currently own. Then you will know what specific qualities you are looking for in a kite that fits your style the best.

But, ultimately, there is no "perfect" kite. If there were, we would all own it, and it would be the only kite sold. Just remember, the enjoyment is in the process of learning, as there is no ultimate goal to flying a kite, except to enjoy. ;)

so your saying they all fly diffrent but will all trick ?? but is just finding out what touch it takes and character of a certain kite ?? some trick better than others ?? it sounds like the bottom line would be "get one kite and stick with it !!! figure it out then move on to something else or is that too realistic ?.............. :)Im controversial as hell, just humor me ;):D:w00t::P:lol:

;) I am so with you!! I am looking to move to something that I can start learning some of the good tricks with... Ask someone.. they swear by one kite... ask another.. and they wouldnt touch the first persons kite.. but they have one they love... eeeeekkkkk.. I am in the same boat. I cant test the kites, and so I am stuck with just spending the money ... . Ok... what money lmaooooooo.. Everyone giggles at the beetle I fly... pfffffffffffft.. like I care?? I love it.. its fun... it responds quick and is a great kite for anyone to learn on. But.. its difficult to trick with... and I dont know what I am doing well enough to work that thru... then recently.. I began flying a rev..... whole new world.... now what/??

I remember now, why I hateeeeeeeeeee shopping for clothes...

Looking for my kite....... mousie

My suggestion to both of you would be to call the owner of a large kite store and ask them what kite they would suggest for you.

Why call? Because in a personal conversation, the owner would be able to ask you pertinent questions about your flying experiences, typical wind conditions and your strengths and desires, too. Email is too stinking slow to hold a real conversation.

Why a large kite store? Because they will carry most of the major brands, and will have a large field of personal experiences to draw their conclusions from. They tend to be less biased toward a particular manufacturer. and will find a kite to suit you, not the other way around.

Why not trust your friend's opinion? Your friend might have the correct kite in mind, but they probably have a fairly limited amount of flying experience with fewer than a dozen kites. Therefore, their suggestion would be limited to what they know. And it would probably be for you to buy the kite that fit themselves best - besauce they don't fully understand the kite must "fit" the individual.

What store should you call? I have had the opportunity to do business with many kite sources, and 2 stores on the west coast stand out as my favorites. I know the owners personally, and would highly recommend either of them. If you need their names, email me.

Undoubtedly there are many great kite stores in the world, and my suggestions do not mean to imply any offense to any of them. I, like anyone else, can only make a suggestion from within the limits of what I personally know and have experienced.

There is some extremly valuable information in this thread, very nicely put Dorsal. My only suggestion is that you contact your LOCAL kite store in person or on the phone. If the kite store is serious about flying then they should have demo kites that you can try before you buy.

Stunts/slack line is really an extension of your personality and like people, kites too have many different personalities and characteristics of their own. Many times I have had customers who will try a certain kite and one will love it, the other will hate it. Same kite, same wind, same conditions....different flying personalities. With one the kite clashes, with the other the kite merges perfectly. Reading reviews from other pilots is a good way to know what the kite is capable of doing and the flying characteristics....but it all depends on the hands that are controlling it. Myself, I like a lot of kite feel when I fly, thus I usually do best with a larger wing with a very heavy feel (I contribute that to power kites). Other pilots love a kite that takes very little input and rely on the wind to do most of the control. Again just different personalities. The only real way you are going to be able to find a kite that molds with you perfectly is to either fork out tons of money on tons of different kites until you find the perfect one...or talk with your local retailer and test fly many of the kites they have there and purchase the one that you like. Your local retailer may be slightly more expensive than that other online shop, but in the end you will end up paying a lot less and will be guaranteed to end up with a kite that will do what you want it to. And lets not get into spar parts and service.....again, your local retailer is the best bet. Many retailers are also capable of ordering in just about any kite your heart desires...even if it isn't one of the brands that they normally carry....all you have to do is talk to them and get to know them, they will work with you to get you what you want.

There are also a ton of questions you can ask your retailer to help narrow down the large assortment of kites on the market. Questions like wind ranges, bridle adjustments, features (yo yo stops, trick lines, weights), how well it tracks, how well it tricks, easiest trick the kite can do, how sturdy is the kite, how strong is the frame, UL versions, SUL versions, vented versions, material and weight, and do you have spar parts for this type of kite?....many of these questions will help you narrow down your possible selections. Know exactly what you are wanting from your kite and try to find one that will fit that criteria. If you don't know what you want from your kite, your retailer will be able to help you find out and will be able to get you a kite that you will love.

As I have said many times...fly before you buy if you possibly can. Unfortunately there are many people who do not have local retailers in their area but like Dorsal has mentioned, if you call a shop and talk direclty to them then you are going to have a much better chance ending up with a winning kite that fits your personality. Hope this helps. :)

dorsal , I do agree with ya when you say " learning is half the fun, what I dont agree with is "thier is no ultimate goal.................I beg to differ meaning Im not out here practicing 3-4 hrs a day for no reason, also meaning thier is definitly a goal in mind or I wouldnt have spent the $$$ gotten into the sport and put in the time.......... :w00t: