KiteLife Forum

Fun with friends at first local indoor clinic

John Barresi

Had a great day of flying today!

Well, I didn't actually spend all of the day flying... :)

Eight of us got together for what I hope will become the first of many local Portland indoor workshops.

It was a laid back 4-hour skill and fun exchange with Amy and Connor Doran, Brett and Bri Howard, Wayne Dowler, Eric Allen, Spence "Watty" Watson and myself.

For the past few years, Bud and Linda Hayes ran a Camas (WA) indoor competition in November, but sadly the event has been canceled. :(

With that especially, and the fact we have quite a few indoor fliers in the Portland area, I wanted to see if we could get a few folks together, perhaps even on a semi-regular basis... We all picked up a lot of information and new skills from one another, even though the space was a bit small (barely enough room for 3-4 intermediate fliers at any one time).

post-1-0-58770300-1320553499_thumb.jpg . . . . .post-1-0-17506900-1320552260_thumb.jpg . . . . .post-1-0-42721000-1320552224_thumb.jpg . . . . .post-1-0-63255600-1320553526_thumb.jpg

We had mostly Indoor Revs, with one dual line (Wren) and a few kinds of glider (Zen, Skate, iFlite) kites as well... Eric even pulled out some rollerblades and did some Rev flying while rolling around the room, pretty cool, makes me think of the ice skaters we've seen on YouTube as late.

After a lot of practice, play and skills work, we spent the last 30 minutes or so taking turns with a mystery kite ballet routine, just for a bit of mutual entertainment.

Fun - this gathering wasn't an event or competition, and the demos were more like solo play time with a music background, especially after sharing the floor all day.

Thanks guys, I'd definitely like to put something like this together periodically, and eventually move it into a larger venue where we can really spread our wings. :ani_victory:

• Like 2