No replies to this topic

#1 Corey Jensen

Corey Jensen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 1999 - 04:00 AM

Attached File  ivan03_small.jpg   3.42KB   13 downloads
Greetings buggy friends, from the southern Nevada desert. After 15 years enjoying the cool ocean breezes in Monterey California, I have relocated to Las Vegas Nevada. Scott Dyer (of the old bfk-sports of las vegas) hired me to help change the old into the new WindPower Sports of Las Vegas. We are handling kites, buggys, landsailers, power kites, kiteboats and all the gear. With the abundant dry lakes in the area, one might assume I have landed in buggy heaven.

I know not everyone is lucky enough to have such a plethora of buggy sites so close by, so I would like to develop a listing of suitable buggy fields around the country. Please send me a description of those buggy-friendly areas you have used and I will report on them in a future issue of KiteLife. We already know about Ivanpah and Elmer's, as well as Galveston and Wildwood. What I am looking for are those locations off the beaten path. Don't worry about your favorite secret spot being suddenly overrun by a gang of wild buggiers... I don't think there are that many of us yet... And I doubt we would all happen to show up at the same time. Still, it would be nice to ride with others from time to time, and many of us travel a bit, so the opportunity to discover a new buggy site and ride with you would be a welcome change from the same-ol'-same-ol'.

Attached File  Image3.jpg   9.5KB   11 downloads
New buggys from Europe are showing up in ever increasing numbers on this side of the pond. I had the opportunity at the Spring Break Buggy Blast pre-function at Elmer's to ride the Advance buggy. The wider track and deeper seating position were easy to get used to. The heightened comfort level (elbows resting comfortably on the padded siderails) was immediately noticeable and quite a plus. The added stability afforded by the wider rear axle was also very nice. The craft is a bit heavier, but not so one would feel slowed down by it.

I assumed the wider axle would inhibit the trickability of the Advance buggy... But I quickly realized it was my lack of trick skills, not the buggy, as I witnessed other riders getting it up on 2 wheels with no problem.

Same thing (nearly) happened with the new C-Quad from Peter Lynn. The first minute I flew it I could hardly control it (and I have been flying sport kites since 1977) but after watching for 5 minutes, I took it back and had no more problem the rest of the afternoon. While control is a bit different from other quad-line traction kites, it is through these changes that we acquire new skills... Otherwise we might become bored, and have to find a new game.

Taking advantage of these changes in the technology of kites allows us to follow paths not already worn smooth by all those who have gone before. Here we are in the forefront of a new sport. We are creating the path that others will want to follow... Feels good doesn't it?
Corey Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In