• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mike Gillard (RIP)

Mike Gillard (RIP)

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 October 1999 - 04:00 AM

The dog days of summer have seen the cessation of the previous month's [June... (c8] flame wars. We do enjoy the positive contributions that so many make. Keep up the good work!

Once again I'm indebted to the faithful BORK staff:
  • Craig Rodgerson
  • Peter C. Hugger Editor
This page is a summary of postings on the rec.kites Usenet news group that our editors believe to be interesting and useful. Opinions expressed in these postings are not those of KiteLife Magazine or its staff.

Bridles Contents
  • Basic Stunter
  • Activated Matrix
  • Activated Psycho
Basic Stunter

I purchased a Bandit made by Go Fly A Kite, a few months ago but cannot get it to stay up very long. The kite starts rocking side to side more and more then noses dives to the ground. I attempted to adjuster the bridle but now I'm afraid it's way off. Is there a measurement that would be a good starting point to level out the kite? Any other ideas that might correct this problem.

I also have a Thunderfoil from New Tech that I like very much. But I would like to use the Bandit and try some tricks. I'm starting to learn that perhaps the Bandit is not the best kite for this. It also seems to require alot of wind.

Lastly, I might want to pick up a better stunt kite that requires less wind but would like to stay under $60.00 US. Any suggestions?

There's usually some type of mark at the starting point for the bridle -- look for some type of black mark on the bridle string. If it doesn't exist, you can try adjusting the bridle attachments so they're about 1/3 of the way from the top of the bridle string, and then work downward (in 1/4 inch steps) until the kite seems stable in an 8-10mph wind.

I highly recommend the Beetle by Flying Wing. Most kite stores and on-line kite shops sell it for about $46 or so. Very durable, and with upgraded lines quite the trickster.

One place to look is http://www.intothewind.com; another is http://www.windpowersports.com (and no, I'm not an employee of either -- just a happy customer of both).

Hi Todd, hi folks.

To complement on Joseph post I would say that, on some kites, the bridle is black and the reference mark, when there is one, is usually of ligth color.

If you see no mark then try the following:

1 - Adjust the bridle as per Joseph suggestion.

2 - Hold the kite by the two tow points (the small loops of line or clips where you attach your control lines).

3 - The kite shall make an angle with the floor (or ground) such that the wing tips are a little lower than the nose.

4 - If the nose seems to low, your bridle adjustment is probably too heavy (or radical as some say it). Move the tow points up.

5 - If the nose seems to high, your bridle adjustment is too light. Move the tow points down.

Remember to adjust the two sides so they are identical. Use small increment while testing. Try to find the upper and lower limits and mark these on the bridle with a suitable pen. Someone, in this group, suggested using a sewing thread of constrasting color to mark the bridle. Then another mark in between can indicate the optimum setting.

Another point to check is that no bridle leg is wrapped around a spar. Generally, upper bridle legs goes on top of upper spreader (if there is one) and bottom bridle legs oes on bottom of lower spreaders.

I have observed that on most of the kites in my bags (yes I have two bags full, kites can become an addiction) the tow points are adjusted in such a way that if I pull down (toward trailing edge) on the bridle so as to flatten it against the frame and with the upper leg parallel to the spine, the junction of the bridle legs will be slightly lower than the lower spreader. This can also serves as an indication that your bridle is not too bad or in real need of some adjustment.

If your kite is relatively small (3 to 4 feet in wingspan), it may require some higher wind to fly than a full size kite (around 8 feet). I use the word may, because, today, with the craze for small indoor/low wind kites, you can find very small kites (2 feet wingspan or even less) that will fly in a puff of air.

A smaller kite will also require very small hand movements for control. And also, try to position your hands as if you were controling a bike (in front of you, with elbows at your side and sligthly in front of your chest. That way you can pull a little to steer and push back to resume straigth fligth.

Wind or no wind, fly for fun :-)
Jean (Johnny) Lemire

Activated Matrix

the dimensions of an Active Bridle for the Flexifoil "Matrix" can be found on our team´s website (adress below). Just click on "Team Stuff" and you´ll also find bridle-dimensions for the Jam Session (HQ), the High Level (Level One) and the TrickTail (Flying Wings). Please be aware, that all dimensions are knot to knot - there´s nothing added for knots, loops etc.

Paul (Team Cloud Nine)

Activated Psycho

> I would like info on dimensions for an active (preferably) or
> dynamic bridle for a Psycho. Anyone tried this or have some
> numbers?

> -Kent : Utah Kite Nerd

I`ve been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now, and have found that a knot joining the 2 leading edge bridle lines 8cm from the metal ring seems to be a pretty good compromise. Try it and see what you think. The bridle reverts to standard pretty easily. Thanks to Andy Wardley for the idea. I started off with his settings for the Match box and then tamed it down some.
Mike Gillard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In