Michael Waldman

Help choosing a kite

6 posts in this topic

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place or has been answered already. If it is please direct me to the correct area.

I currently have a Prism Nexus that I have flown for about a year and a half. I feel proficient with my basic control of the kite and can perform snap stalls and a few other very basic tricks and occasionally pull off a sketchy axel. I feel that I will need a different kite to progress to more advanced tricks.

I am looking to get a kite that is advanced enough to do many tricks and that I will not need a new one soon. Price is an enormous factor to me. I want to spend as little as possible. I have considered the Prism Hypnotist, quantum and E3. I would like to know what alternatives there are and what kites you would recommend. My price range if flexible but I would really like to pay around e3 money or less.

-Thank you ,

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum! :(

To help folks assist further, I'd like to ask a few questions...

1. What is the budget you're aiming for with your new kite?

2. You mention varying wind conditions, is there an average wind range or do you really get all kinds, all the time?

3. Are you looking for a trick monster, or a well-rounded kite for both tricks and precision?

We've got a lot of knowledgeable folks here, a little more info and I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. :ani_whistling:

1) I would like to keep the price under $200. If there is anything good in the low to mid 100s that would be great.

2) The average winds near me are probably around 10-15 mph steady on a good day but it can go from 15mph to 5 mph in one day. A local airport puts the yearly average at 10 mph almost every year.

3) I am looking for a well rounded kite that can handle tricks but is also precise. Hopefully when I become more skilled with tricks I will seek another kite.

- Thank you Again

If you want to stick with Prism kites, go with the Hypnotist. I'm sure the ITW Kymera would be a better choice than the E3. There's also the Silver Fox and the Widow that would be in your price range.

For around $300, you could get the Widow Maker, which is currently my goto kite. It has a great balance of trickiness and precision, and a wide wind range.

Good luck with your choice...

Rob.

1 person likes this

I'm like you Michael, I started on a Nexus than I moved on to a Flying Wing's Silver Fox 2.3. It's a good kite and I'm learning a lot of the freestyle tricks on it. I haven't flown any other trick kites so I can't give any other recommendation.

While I was saving for the new kite I really went to town trying to trick the nexus. Changing the bridle setting, adding weight to the tail/nose and anything else I could think of. Some of the weights I tried were coins, blue tac and even an alan key left in my pocket after work. All though nothing really worked it was good fun trying and I learnt about the blance of the kite.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Similar Content

• By happysuperbutton
      Got one thnx!
      Wanting to buy a used Revolution kite!
      Eyeing a 1.5 B-series, midvent, 3wrap. Since it's gonna be a first ever quad, I'll also be looking for handles and lines.
      Preference for local deals so we could meet up and skip the hassle of packing for shipping and all that extra effort.
      Feel free to PM me too, thanks all and really appreciate it!
      Also looking for any 1.5 style rev (Reflex, Classic, vented, etc.) If you're thinking of letting one of your revs go, pm me please! Has to be RTF.
    • By Goddess
      Hello!
      I am looking for a first dual line kite.  I have no experience, but could always get those those old plastic grocery store kites to do loops, etc.  
      I've been looking a bit and I thought that Prism Nexus looked like something that could take me from beginner into entry-level intermediate.  After reading on the forums, I'm not so sure.
      I'm in the Midwest in the USA, so wind can be a problem, but there's lots of open space in which to fly!
      Looking for thoughts, recommendations, and maybe even someone who has a great used beginner kite for sale!  I appreciate any advice and direction you're willing to provide!
    • By Exult
      "Flowers?" you may ask - well I didn't get them for this event, they were already around at the time when receiving the shipment. However this is a happy, problematic and almost solemn occasion.
      I stepped into my time machine (not true) to order a new kite from the past (very true). I ordered an un-opened Prism Vapor kite. The kite was sold as #107 (but I don't know I haven't opened it) and the transparent tube contains a signed paper by Mark Reed and Scobie Puchtler (if the kite itself also carries the signatures I don't know). This is over-kill and I don't want this. I mean I very much appreciate having a Vapor, the look is that of pure beauty, I'm really curious how it is to fly it and have really drooled over it also in the past. It's the most collectors kite that I've ever had and that is the problem. This gets in the way of actually using it! How should I use it? Indoor only? Use it in mud and sand (which is how I use kites because a lost kiting opportunity in itself never comes back)? Hang it in the ceiling as a decoration (which I would do if I unrealistically would have several)? But in the end I don't think that there is another kite with its looks and other properties - the only way that I can see is to try it out. But still I can't get it out of my head, i.e. The Clash's hit "Should I stay or should I go?" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmEMMyvZHcw ), but with the text replaced with the alternative text: "Should I fly or should I trade?", again, again and again...
      I didn't order any of the Aliens (already got one and used it last Sunday (along with the Elixir) b.t.w.) or the Radians. The Radians (also from a time when the form of a dual stunt kite was less well standardized - compare this to early bicycles or or car models) really look non-standard and most likely feels different to fly from any other kite that I flown. I even still remember them from the catalogue I saw by the end of the nineties. I'm curious, but sometimes you need to chose not to yield to temptation.

• By jasonmcmahon76
      Hello! 
      My name is Jason, I am from Melbourne Australia.
      I was recently introduced to a 2 line stunt kite by my brother in law, and I was hooked!   I did some research online and am now the proud owner of a Prism Quantum and a 75 foot tube tail.
      I have had a few outings with it already, and I am sure you are probably not surprised to learn that I am already waiting on replacement center T as a result of some high speed soil samples.
      So in the meantime I was hoping for some advice and suggestions!
      What would you consider "must have" accessories? Is there a list of stunts or some sort of order that I should start learning them in? Good online resources for said stunts? (other than this one!) General tips and tricks for total noobs? Relating to the Quantum: Any suggested mods, tips or tricks? What parts are most prone to breaking? Thank you in advance!
      Jason.
  • Upcoming Events