KiteLife Forum

Taking kite on Holiday

Mark909

Hello could anyone point me in the direction of a shop selling hard carry cases for kites in the uk.

Im off to lanzarote next week and want to take my kite with me but need something more substantial to take it on the plane with me.

Alternatively I was thinking of a big cardboard tube. Has anyone managed to tranport their kite and keep it in one piece on a plane?!

What kind of kites are you transporting? And, are you trying to get by without paying the extra baggage fee?

I'm a cheap traveller, so pull the rods out of my Revs and put them into an inexpensive fly rod case. That becomes a carry on item ... same class as the book you carry on to read. Some simply fold their Rev sails and place them in their checked bag ... I like to roll them around 2~3 inch diameter foam tube to prevent some creases.

For the additional soft foil kites, I use a compression sack ... last trip had a 100 sq ft foil, a 20 sq ft foil, three 5 sq ft foils, two 35-foot banner tails, two tube tails, and an assortment of flying lines, sand anchors and misc stuff. My compression sack is sized to be my main carry on piece. If it doesn't fit in the overhead ... I release the compress straps and reshape it to fit.

Rev handles, stakes, and other questionable items go in my checked suitcase with the Revs and my cloths.

This has worked for several one week trips without paying an extra baggage fee. Of course, if you fly in excess of 100,000 miles a year, then you're not worried about these steps.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I originally travelled with a poster tube to carry the spars (with a small hole punched in the lid for a spar that didn't fit), and sails in my suitcase. I've also used a larger blueprint / document tube that fits about 3 kites. No questions from the airlines or security. While in Europe and the UK last year, I traveled with two Revs in a single sleeve, and the handles in my rollaboard suitcase. I didn't bring any ground stakes, so I didn't have to deal with checking luggage. No problems other than one security screener asking what was in the bag, and then waving me through.

However, after a few trips . . . I wanted to bring more than a few kites. I traveled several times last year with my main kite bag as a carryon - it's probably about 42" long and maybe 10-12 inches wide / diameter at the widest point. I have only had one comment about it from a flight attendant, and it's always fit in the overhead (at least on Southwest 737s and AA regional jets). No issues so far. My only worry is if they make me check it - then I'd be a bit concerned about luggage handling. Therefore, I always try to get on as early as possible so I can get space at the back of the overhead compartment and pack my regular suitcase in front of the kite bag.

If you're just bringing one kite and can break the leading edges down (dual line), you should be able to take it on the plane with you as it fits nicely above ANY roller cases or packs in the overhead... Just be sure to pack your ground stake(s) in the checked luggage, not carry on. ;)