KiteLife Forum

gauging wind speed

Evilgrimace

New to the forum...Been flying for kites off and on for years, sometimes more poorly than others, but almost without exception, had fun each time I've been out...

I've also been heavily involved with sport parachuting, with 500 + successful ( ha! ) jumps...

I'm a professional pilot. I currently fly airplanes, but once upon a time, I flew helicopters for 10+ years...

So, I'm no stranger to estimating the effects and velocity of wind, but more often than not, it's guess work...I have an iPhone with wonderful weather app's, and those are great when you're considering the wind at a reporting station...

But how about when you're on a beach, or a soccer (sorry, football!) field...

What do you use?

I'm considering the purchase of a hand held digital anemometer...

Yay or nay?

and if Yay, throw me some suggestions?

Spend your money on more valuable kite flying stuff.

I'm a gaget nut ... love the numbers and specs etc. But, after fooling around with an anemometer for a few months, it simply wasn't being used at all. You'll develop a feel for which kite you're going to pull out of the bag based on experience. In fact, for some wind speeds either a full sail or full vent will work. In the morning when wind speed is going up, you'll grab the full vent. And in the afternoon, when wind speed will fall off, you'll grab the full sail. Again, experience is your best teacher.

Use your savings to buy a good LaserPro 90# lineset in either 120 or 75~80foot length. Much better value there.

Cheers and welcome to the forum,

Tom

I have an anemometer, but it no longer registers correctly. So, I am thrust back on my own rules of thumb. These work mainly on a beach, as you will see.

a. Do I feel wind on my back when I walk downwind? If so, the wind is 4-5 mph or more. If not, it is less than my walking speed and an ultra-light is suggested.

b. Walking upwind, does the wind feel stronger than when standing still? If so, it is probably less than 10 mph - I cannot feel the difference between say 8 and 12 mph easily.

c. On the beach, is the sand moving? Dry sand starts moving around 12 mph - break out the mid-vent.

d. If the whole sand surface seems to be moving, 18 mph and up - full vent weather.

e. You definitely will know when the wind is 20 mph and up. Little dunes and valleys start building around everything on the surface of the sand.

On grassy fields, if the surface starts moving, I would probably start praying and running like heck. :animal_rooster:

Actually, the real velocity of the wind is less important than whether it is ultra-light, normal, or vented kite weather. (The figures above are what I think I remember when the anemometer was working - I was quite accurate for a while, but now I'm probably quite far off the actual MPH.)

So, on the low end, I use the feel of the wind relative to my walking speed, and on the medium and high end, the movement of the surface of the dry sand. Wet sand (below the surf line) aught to stay in place. :cat_sick:

Yep, no substitute for experience!! Gotta be able to judge the wind with your own body, what if the batteries die in that wind meter? Go home?? You spend enough time on your favorite field or beach, you'll get to know what the wind is doing and pull out the right kite for those conditions!! Money better spent on what you need to fly!!

... and pull out the right kite for those conditions!! ...

And, if you get the wrong kite, no big deal ... just switch it out for the correct one. Everyone does it, so no one looks upon it as a mistake ... just fine tuning.

Cheers.

Tom

I surely agree, spend your money on something else. I've got one of those Kestral 1000 meters, left over from the "Sailing" days. It is a neat gadget, but definitely not necessary for kiting. Yes, I carry it in my flight box, and sure, there's a cool factor, when people see it in your box, but do I use it to determine what kite or line to use - NOT ! Does it make me fly better - NOT ! But, if you just can't help yourself, the 1000 is a nice unit, and it carries a 5 year warranty..............but there are quite a few cheaper units, out there..........but again, if you just can't help yourself....

post-4670-0-86150000-1331323293_thumb.jp

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001JEPJZC