KiteLife Forum

On the right track

welgonzales

Hello everyone!

My name is Joel and I'm from the Pearl of the orient sea, Philippines!

I'm droppin this quick inquiry since I am a newbie and will be ordering my first kite. It will be the Prism Quantum.

I have chosen this as I've heard it's a good starting kite and since I am on budget.

I will definetly love to hear from you guys who happened to play with this kite. In addition, any other kites and brand that you can recommend for a kite that's around $100.

Thanks much!

Soaring high,

Joel

• Like 1

Welcome, Joel.

Don't waste your money on a whole bunch of cheap kites. You won't find one better than the Quantum. Learn to fly on the Quantum and save you $$$ for a nice kite. Cheap kites will end up un-flown as your skills improve, and they don't hold much re-sale value.

~Rob.

Joel, before you buy do more research. I bought the Quantum and I am happy with it, but it is "heavy". Look into the hypnotist. It may be one more step up but still built for the beginner. The hypnotist doesn't get as much talk because it is higher in price, but it has yoyo stoppers and you will get more "play" out of it.

There are so many kites out there that you have a huge selection to choose from and so many choices when you are ready to move up as well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for that input Tmadz! Actually I have quantum, hypnotist and hq atomic as my choices. However, due to budget constrainst I need to consider the shipping cost as int'l mail priority will be an added $40 already!

As for the "pull" I think it will be an advantage for me as I would like kiting to be a means of workout for me in addition to the fun it can give as a hobby.

If only shipping is not that costly, I'll definetly get the hypnotist.

If its pull you want then a prism snapshot or one of the other parafoils out there will give you a workout. It does depend if you get enough gusty winds. I have a snapshot 1.9 and I'm 270 lbs. in gusty winds (15-25 mph) I get quite a workout. The stunt kites are not the same type of thing.

Hi welgonzales, welcome to the forum and to the sport.

As you can see, there are numerous models and make out there but if your heart has set on the Quantum, then go for it.

But i would ask myself some questions before ordering...

You said that shipping is costly so whichever model/brand you take, it will be same right.

How are the winds there in your flying areas and spots and how consistent it is in your flying time...this is something some overlook and get frustrated after the purchase and blame the kite..

Keep in mind that the Quantum needs a good 8-10mph / 12kmh to fly nice and learn the basics. It is indeed a good started kite and tough enough to take beginners abuse. Depending on your learning speed, you may find the kite limited to your skills and will want to upgrade (it will come sooner or later if you are serious about kite flying lol)

I will save some more $$$ and wait some weeks or one month and get the hypnotist instead. Fly in same wins range (perhaps a bit lower due to larger sail) is tough too and is slower which is what you want to learn the basics.

Will get you to the tricks world with his packed tricks capabilities and you will have loads of flying time to learn on it while saving enough to upgrade in a year or so.

I have the hypnotist too and other kites and it gets out regularly when i have the perfect wind for it.

Take you time, browse the forum for other/older posts before ordering. We know how it is when we want a new toy lol but the wait will be worth it..

Good luck

B

Thanks Btrieze for that juicy input! Man now I am confuse. lols

Can I just request our friends here in the forum for their votes if I will be getting the A. The Quantum or B. The Hypnotist?

I will be ordering before the week ends.

Looking forward for your keypoints!

From whatever shop you are buying (perhaps pm me for the names) see the difference between them but shipping will be same anyway.

For me it will be the Hypnotist over the Quantum :)

• Like 1

Definitely the Hypno over the Quantum... you get a better kite, plus the Prism video with the Hypno. Some people have even upgraded the spars and installed yoyo stoppers in the Hypno to make it perform close to a high-end kite. You will fly the Hypno for longer without getting bored by it. I have both, but if I had to choose one, it would be a simple choice...

• Like 1

I guess I have my verdict now. I am going for the Prism Hypnotist! Now just confirming the cost...

Guys if its not too much, can you PM me your preferred sites of ordering. I have lock one site now on my mind since the cost of the other base on shipping is double!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just started flying a few weeks ago with a new Hypnotist. I am really glad I spent the extra money because it is a very durable kite and easy to fly right from the start. It also will fly in 5-8 mph winds so I can fly it more. The good thing is that it will do tricks so I won't need to buy a better kite as soon so in the long run saves money over a cheaper kite.

That being said, I love flying so much I already bought a 4-D and have a Zephyr on the way. :) If I did it again I would buy the Hypnotist again.

• Like 1

Start with the very basic. Turns, landings, stalls, then move up to axels. Trust me. The basics are not only learning tricks, but also learning how the kite reacts to your inputs and the wind. I've been learning for a few months and everything I've been told is true.

• Like 1

Hear hear... FAR TOO OFTEN these days, fliers jump right into "flippy" tricks and never master the aspects which I think make a real balanced flier - clean landings, full use of the wind window, side slides, basic precision (corners, circles, shapes) - then layer onto those fundamental skills with a range of tricks.

I'd also argue that understanding how the kite really flies will teach you a great deal about what makes the tricks work. ;)

• Like 1

Good Day! I tried flying my hypnotist yesterday and boy let me say that my first experience for dual line kites is hard! hahaha. I guess since its not a windy day and I need to wait for the wind to blew. I am thinking of learning tricks when I cannot even have it steady in its launch for even 30secs! Any tips on the take off?

I think you're coming at it from a fresh enough place, you might benefit from the very basics...

These videos are a little dated and not from a "pro" pilot, but there is good stuff in there.

At the moment, most of the "ground up" instructional video for dual lines is on DVD (Flight School, Prism, etc).

Spence Watson and I will start expanding our dual line tutorial offerings a TON late next year, but that won't help you now. :)

THE REAL KEY TO LAUNCHING:

1 - Keep your hands at an even depth R-L and give a sharp pull DOWN AND BACK, past your hips evenly with both hands.

2 - Don't FLAIL after launching, keep your hands close together, in front of you, directly side by side.

3 - As the kite launches straight up, use very small inputs to correct the nose direction.