KiteLife Forum

On the right track

welgonzales

Joel, you are subject to the winds so you need to be flexible in how the kite will fly that day. With the hypnotist you can adjust it for light wind conditions, but you are goingto have to move a lot. If you are on a beach, you will need to walk all over to get the kite to fly and react. Kiters always look for wide open spaces because they use all of it. Especially dual line kiters. Stunt kite flying is not a stand still activity.

I agree with the moving a lot part, but just like a Rev, you can "recover" your flying field and "recycle" your space! At the top of your launch, turn the kite nose towards earth and let the kite glide away from you, walking forward at the same time!! Learning to reuse the same space over and over is a great light wind technique and will add to your "toolbox" !! Also really be small and gentle with your inputs in light wind!! It's very easy to yank your kite right outta the sky if your controls are too violent!! Light wind flying is an art all to it's self, just another thing to learn and enjoy!!

I agree with everyone here.

Dual line kites is a matter of moving backward and pumping the kite to gain lift in light winds and walk forward (sometimes run) to stall and slow it.

Being a dual line and quad line flier, i sometimes mix (brain part lol) the flying characteristics of both and start walking forward with my Revs to stall or launch my duals with thumbs to shoulder lol.

Get the basics first Joel. Proper launching and landings, stalls, straight (REAL STRAIGHT) lines, sharp corners.

Then move to the stall and slides to get the fine movement required for the next level which is tricking.

Also as the other friends said, get the widest area you can fly in and choose a good wind day to avoid frustrations :)

special thanks to John, Tmadz, Stroke Survivor, Btreize

John, thanks for the videos. I did see these videos prior to the acquisition of my first kite. Love the keypoints you mentioned. I just heard the the term wind window when I got myself into kiting. I am still grasping the idea of these since I am not able to practice a lot due to rainy season in our country. Thanks for giving me an idea about the category of my kite.

Tmadz, thanks for the input. I am practicing at a memorial park near our place which gives me ample space. However, in addition to low wind condition when I tried, the uneven grass gives me the hard time to pull my kite up again for launch so I need to walk and fix it in launch position again. I have no problem with this since it makes me burn some calories while learning :D

Stroke Survivor, I never thought that I need to move a lot with dual line kites. I mean I thought movement will just be minimal. I guess the wind did not favor me that time and I must say that the kite will be too heavy for that wind condition. I will keep in mind the suggestions you gave!

Btreize, actually my initial goal now will be the things you said, Proper launching and landings, stalls, straight (REAL STRAIGHT) lines, sharp corners. Its frustrating but I am not quiting.

Thanks all guys for your patience and inputs to a newbie like me. Thanks for answering even my dumb question.

One of the keys to good precision is smooth inputs...

Initially, instead of "snapping" your hands, try grading your input on and off... Then try snapping again, compare the differences.

Eventually try mixing the two.

Pull turns vs push (punch) turns...

Pull: Hands in front of you, pulling back on one hand, then releasing.

Push: Hands held close to your chest, push one hand away from you, then bring it back.

Pull turns go the way you pull (R=R and L=L), rams pressure into the wing, and accelerates through the turn.

Push turns go the opposite way from your input (R=L and L=R), releases pressure from one wing, and decelerates somewhat.

Combination turns are roughly 1/2 of each, so that the kite turns closer to it's spine, and exhibits some of both characteristics (pull/push).

Watching enough of the videos on YouTube, you'll get a taste for what people are using - if you break it down mentally. ;)

• Like 1

I'm taking these notes into my mind and try to simulate them. Quite hard to imagine since the actual is totally different :P . When I tried to fly my kite the first time I was able to have it launch but in a few seconds time in the sky it will stumble either left or right. that is the part I need to figure out with all your help.

• Like 1

First of all, get used to the walking. It's called the "walk of shame" and you'll be doing a lot of it. It's your punishment for doing something wrong. As you get better, you'll stop having to walk so much.

Second, if the videos didn't cover it, make sure that your lines are exactly the same length. Within 1cm or 1/4 of an inch. Kites are finely tuned machines and if the lines are different lengths it will show in the uneven flight. Take a look and if they need to be adjusted there are several videos that will show you how to shorten the longer line.

You need to periodically check your line lengths because the lines will stretch and become uneven.

• Like 1

Tmadz, I just recently known and felt the walk of shame. But its okay. I am the only kite flyer in our place! ^ ^ Thanks for the perspective of getting lesser walk as I get better.

I will definitely take a look at my lines. Never thought of these possible issue of the lines being uneven.

Well Joel, you may be the only one there, but you're not alone. We're here for you if you need us. There are other forums that you can go to for additional help. More than you'll ever need, but I get the impression you know about those already. If not, PM me and I can steer you in their direction. I know JB visits them. I like this website because of the magazine articles and broad information available on it.

Kite fliers are a small, but tight knot group. We need all the support we can get. Maybe later you might even get into single line kites. There are some wonderful kites available, especially from the Pacific countries. Lots of history there. I have discovered one designer whose stuff I really like, but is expensive and another who doesn't seem to make kites anymore so now I have a goal to acquire some of these.

You do have one advantage: Ocean front. Being in the middle of the continent I am so far away from the beaches that I am always looking for an excuse to fly. I try to get to the great lakes to fly as much as possible, which is not often.

• Like 1

Aye, as Tmadz said - there are a few good forums, I at least lurk in most of them myself.

While we're not always as busy on the Kitelife forum, I like to think of this as a "safe haven" for new fliers.

You'll never get bit for a "dumb" question here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna give updates on my progress. I think I am more confident on my launching now. But due to poor wind condition, work schedule and rainy season I am not able to practice a lot. But I felt the pull and push thing that everyone recommended to me. Thanks again for that guys. I will try to move to doing square to master the left and right. Fingers crossed it will be a good windy day this weekend!

Btw, in addition to my stunt kite I am now doing my own kites on different categories like flat, box etc. But due to material resources I am only using improvised materials like bamboo, shower curtain and plastic bags. Oh boy I wish we have those carbon fiber rods and ripstop fabric here. Tried searching online but not much found due to low interest for this hobby. The nearest I can find will be in Hong Kong and Singapore.

This is a pretty popular site for kite plans...

http://www.kiteplans.org/

Bear in mind, some of the designs in there are from OTHER designers (without their permission).

The going rule of thumb... Make whatever you want, just don't re-sell someone else's design or misrepresent your kite as a factory kite. ;)

My heart is broken now. Seen all the good stuff to make a good kite. Thanks John. I love the second site you recommended. How I wish we have shops like those here. It will be costly to ship these items at the moment. If I will be successful with my hobby, I want to establish a dealership here so those enthusiast like me will be able to create their own kites.

Having less resources makes me more creative though. Just getting the ideas to go with the technology they have now on kites in the west...

Couldn't thank you enough John! Your the man!