KiteLife Forum

Yachats Kite Festival Changes?

MercFlyer

Hello, some of you know me and some don't, my name is Wyatt Feichtner and my major kiting claim to fame is throwing the 2011 Yachats Kite Festival.

The topic description says it, I was approched by a representitive of the Yachats Chamber of Commerce and was told that they are going to throw a kite festival on labor day weekend, a couple of weeks before I was going to throw mine and the same day I was planning a fun fly. The Chambers proposed site is the two lawns just south of the Adobe Motel. I would attach a pic of the Chambers proposed site but I am computer illiterate.

I am writing this becuase I was asked to give up my contact info for the flyers from last year so that the Chamber could contact them. I am conflicted and I would like you to choose for me, if the chamber throws thier kite festival I won't throw mine. Part of my conflict is because last year no one would help me throw the festival, but now it seems that the chamber has seen how popular it is and they see a way to make money and they want to take it over.

So I guess the question is, Would you as flyers rather fly on a small lawn for labor day in Yachats ay the Chambers festival or on the beach like last year but on the last weekend of September ( the 28th and 29th) at a festival I throw?

I really would appreciate your input on this.

Thanks

Wyatt

Ouch, difficult position Wyatt - I'm sorry.

Question, have you found the source of this new initiative and presented your case?

Especially with a known artisan and "thinkers" community, I would think they'd be more sympathetic to the work you've already put in...

Not only that, but how useful you could be if you were simply utilized or included.

I have a meeting with a Chamber rep tomorrow. I got the impression that I wasn't really going to be included and the Chamber just wanted my references, that bothers me because no one on the chamber flies kites. https://maps.google....005845&t=h&z=19 b I hope this is a link to the site that the Chamber wants to use and this is a larger map showing the bay where last year was and the new site for comparison https://maps.google....46756&t=h&z=16. Is the Chamber site worth using, it seems small to me. This is an alternate location at the Adobe but there are a lot of trees blocking in every direction https://maps.google....11689&t=h&z=18.

I feel I should say that I am a bit put off by the interaction I had today, but my intention with this thread is to facilitate the best kite festival that Yachats can put on. I feel the Chamber doesn't have any kite experience and that my own experience would be better with more "Professional" knowledge and wisdom on site choice.

woot, the links work.

Hi Wyatt. I'm really sorry you're in such a hard spot. After I got over my initial anger, you need to ask yourself what the fallout would be to you if you did or did not cooperate. It's hard to have a kite festival if the CoC doesn't know who to contact or what is needed. This is America and you are under no obligation to hand over your info, but there are so many factors you just can't get into it all on a forum. You have to ask yourself what you would like to see come out of it.

Personally, I would tell them to go scratch if they don't want to utilize you, but just take from you. Is it really that clear cut of a situation?

PS three months for the CoC to get it ready isn't enough time and any featured fliers are probably already booked, right?

A rosier scenario, here's hoping it's fact rather than fiction: Some people on the CoC either came to your festival last year, or heard all about it from people who did, and now they're really excited about kites. You didn't get a response out of them last year, but sometimes you just have to SHOW people what kites and kite festivals are all about. Now that they've seen it, they are into it, and they want to support it. They aren't kite fliers...YET. ;) They will need your help to make this happen, but they may not know it yet. They've already blown it in how they approached you, but here's hoping your meeting today goes better.

As for the site, I actually did fly a kite on that very spot last year. I just remember it being small, looks like about 100x220 at best looking at google maps. If the wind were out of the west, it'd be nice and clean, but with only 100 feet of width in that direction, not so good. Suttons usually have 100 foot tails. Seems like it'd be hard to get big stuff spread out enough in such a small area--lack of air space and anchor space. Revs would be on 80 ft lines, being careful not to walk backwards too far and fall of the cliff. And the adoring public has to have somewhere to stand. And what if they want to fly kites too? Which of course they will. Seems like this site would work for a family fun fly, but nothing much more extravagant. Have you been out there yourself?

Alternate site at the adobe, all I remember is some nice stretches of lawn there, but tall trees around it, and in it too, right?

• Like 2

Wyatt, I looked at the CoC website and they have the kite festival listed. They even mention that it was reintroduced in 2011. Definitely not cool if you did it all yourself last year and appears that the hotel wants to just steal it. Is there more to the story? Did they take the name as well or did you protect it? Sad to be reminded that this still happens. Especially to kiters.

Update

I guess she was in a bad mood yesterday because today went well. Yachats will have a fun fly sponsored by the Adobe on the Adobe grounds on Labor Day weekend and on the weekend of the 28th and 29th, Yachats will host The Yachats Kite Festival 2012. I will be involved with both events, and I am very happy to say that it sounds like I will get plenty of help this year!

So... Mark your calendars!

P.S.

Thanks for the reply's! Many of my concerns were voiced and validated, the confidence boost was nice.

Katrina, that was what I was thinking too, thanks for writing it out for me lol. I am pretty sure that info was a big factor in not trying to get a big production going on for Labor Day and until we have a large enough space for it.

I hope I didn't sound like some crazy person but I really feel personaly tied to this event and I thought it was getting pulled out from under me for a less awesome event, all I wanted was for the best possible festival and a good fun fly and I think that's what we are going to get.

P.P.S.

see you all at Lincoln City!

Wyatt

• Like 1

That's great Wyatt. I'm sorry for playing devils advocate. I had something similar happen to me in the past, but it's great that everyone will be on board to share and spread the joy of kiting.