KiteLife Forum

Second kite

Geoff

What's a good kite to get after the Beetle? I guess what Im asking is, am I wasting my time trying to trick the beetle. It's definitely difficult to axel. Should I be looking to purchase something a little easier to trick when trying to learn tricks? Are there some adjustments I can make to the bridle to make tricking it easier? Or am I just 'not getting it' and need to spend more time practicing?

Would my time be better spent trying to lean basic tricks (snap stall, axel etc) on a 'normal' trick kite, or should I get these down pat BEFORE I step up to a more expensive and easily breakable kite? Is the Beetle even capable (given it's inherant stability) of tricking?

• 3 weeks later...

The Beetle is small, fast and durable... as far as tricks go, the beetle is small fast and durable. My recomendation is move on to another kite... Nighthawk by Premier is next logical step, it has great durabilty and will do ALL the tricks, a superb design... The beetle is a great kite to learn how to control a dual line but there comes a time that you outgrow it, but it is small, fast and durable... :)

Scott

You've got several nice choices, depending on how much you want to spend:

$50-60:

Premier Addiction

New Teck Pyro XS

Premier Nighthawk

$60-80:

Prism Quantum

$90-110:

Premier Magnum

New Tech Big Bang

New Tech New Jam

At the two lower price points, I like the Pyro, as it's the larger of the ones I've listed. The advantage to a larger kite is it will move and turn a little slower, making it easier to learn on ('cause you can actually see what the kite is doing, rather than being a blur all the time). If you can go up to around the $100 price range, the Magnum or Big Bang are larger, durable, fully capable trick kites that you can learn with for a long time, and they are both capable of all the currently popular pitch- and yoyo-tricks.