KiteLife Forum

strong winds or crappy kite?

the transporter

so yesterday I went to long beach and flew my highly expensive $30 kite and I was trying to do some of the more advanced tricks, I found it was difficult in the strong winds, do you guys usually do tricks in lighter winds and if you have the strong winds is there a way to still do them? I tried flying off to the side out of the window a bit and this was alright but found it a little hard to pull the kite back out of some moves, is this because of the kite being cheap and not capable of doing these advanced tricks or am I going about them all wrong? I read the last forum topic and have been thinking of picking up a hypnotist, though I hate to spend the money when for $60 more I could get a kymira, what do you guys think is there really a big diffrence between the two kites?

Yeah... wind makes a huge difference in how good the flying is going to be on any particular day. Sometimes there isn't enough, sometimes there's too much. Either way, the tricks you can do are a lot less. My favorite wind speed is barely enough to get the kite in the air. This varies from kite to kite, but I like the wind speed to be in the bottom of a kite's stated range.

As far as Hypnotist vs. Kymera... tough question because they're very different kites. The Hypnotist is built like a tank and meant to be punished. The Kymera is more refined and capable of more tricks. I fly my Kymera, and save the Hypnotist to hand off to interested people that want to try to fly. So, the Hypno is a kite you'll out grow, and the Kymera will challenge you & still be fun after you've been flying for years.

~Rob.

• Like 3