KiteLife Forum

Coming over to "the DARK side" ?

Reef Runner

huh " ? " who

Well folks, you'll never guess WHO, is finally creeping over to the DARK side. Yep, after all this time, and after all these discussions, and after all the bantering back & forth which usually takes place during the (Rev) drawings, take your best shot ! You know who, is finally making the move ?

Please join me in welcoming ?#%^&(@?, over to the dark side.................

(yes, we've gotta have at least a wild guess or three, first)

How does one get counted for coming over to the dark side ? Do you guys count me because I have a Rev in my bag ? It serves it's purpose, gives me something to fly when the wind is too high for other kites, but I just don't get the whole thing. Maybe it's because I fly alone ? I've heard that Rev flying is a social thing and you need people to fly with. Is that the case ? As it is, I just can't fly it for much more than a half hour... hardly long enough to justify the extra effort of setup/breakdown.

-Puzzled about the whole 'Dark Side' thing.

How does one get counted for coming over to the dark side ? Do you guys count me because I have a Rev in my bag ? It serves it's purpose, gives me something to fly when the wind is too high for other kites, but I just don't get the whole thing. Maybe it's because I fly alone ? I've heard that Rev flying is a social thing and you need people to fly with. Is that the case ? As it is, I just can't fly it for much more than a half hour... hardly long enough to justify the extra effort of setup/breakdown.

Don't worry mate, it's just one if those things. I'm a rev flyer and a lone flyer too. I have an opposite bag to you, a few revs with a Dualie thrown in to mix it up (and a little foil but apparently I'm just "holding it" for my little girl!!).

Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

... but I just don't get the whole thing. Maybe it's because I fly alone ? I've heard that Rev flying is a social thing and you need people to fly with. Is that the case ? ...

The closest Rev flyer, who's active that is, lives about 80 miles away. Thus, most of my flying is solo. Setup and breakdown are both about an eight minute process ... about the same length of time as for my SLKs. The fun with flying Revs comes from challenging myself to learn to control the kite and make it do what I want it to do. Maybe I'm just a slow learner, but even after four years, the Rev still is a challenge to be flown smoothly in all situations.

As to the social thing, that's just icing on the cake ..

Cheers,

Tom

I enjoy flying both solo and group... with music playing flying solo is such a ZENful experience for me I fly for hours!

Welcome to the Dark-Side! ...and to confuse you even more... look forward to the Dark-Side benefit of delicious cookies too!

It's a different experience, flying those Revs from dualies!! Completely different style of flying!! I was a solo flier by choice ( I was afraid that my stroke would limit me and cause a tangle for anyone around me)!! So I worked on stuff that was weak (especially anything leading edge right) and eventually got my weak side almost as strong as my "good" side!! Then people (and they know who they are) started to push me into flying around others! That's when I discovered how much fun it was to fly with others!!

Putting on some good tunes and zoning out to it, flying what you want, when you want, it's all good! But if you EVER get the chance to fly in a group - YEEHAW!!!!

PS: Don't tell the Rev police, but I still fly a dualie once in a while, just to remember what got me into this way back when!!

PSS: Jynx - I'm still waiting for my "cookie"!! HAHA!!

PSSS: Hey Nick - What did I win for being the first to Guess? HUH?

Hi Rob,

I don't count you as a Dark Side-er, you don't have the Rev itch, based on your reply. I'll take the time to setup even if I've only got 15 minutes to spare! But you'd make a good candidate ;) you've got the social aspect of it down!

I feel the same way about dualie trick kites that you do about Revs..... Except I don't fly my dualies anymore. Ever. On Fridays when the Las Vegas fliers get together, I'll fly a dualie to appease John Chilese.... But I'm bored with it after a couple minutes.

To each their own, different strokes for different folks, etc. etc. But, when you do finally come over to the Dark Side ;) you'll have plenty of support right away! You can be my wingman anytime!

-Dave

Tapatalk 2 ~ Android

Interesting... I only fly a full vent Rev. Is that somehow limiting my experience ? I have other kites with 4 lines, but that's the only Rev. I wanted to learn how to fly & control it good enough that if I ever did get a chance to fly with others that I wouldn't embarrass myself. (And because John B. makes it look so cool.) Unfortunately, the closest fliers are 1/2 day's drive from me, so I'm lucky to see them once a year.

I never got to listen to music while flying, maybe I should give that a try. I've been happy just listening to the waves, the wind & the birds...

I enjoy all kites, single, dual, triple and quad. It's just that duals give me the most challenge because of the endless combination of tricks that they can do. I know there's more to the whole quad thing, just pokin' around trying to figure out what that is...

:cat_biggrin:

I've got 2 duals, both blue moons. Lovely kites. But I almost never fly them. I do like them a lot, they are very relaxing to fly. But truly, how long can one be entertained flying loops? Huh, maybe I'm missing something.

See, this is you with revs. (I do know there's plenty more to duals, don't shoot!) Yes you're missing something, but I wouldn't worry much about it until you get bored with duals. And when I get bored with revs, I know there's a whole dual world I'm missing out on, so I can go explore that. The vented is probably my favorite, you're not missing out on anything on that account.

The social aspect is a draw. But even besides that, it's just more fun to put several revs up in the same airspace. Even if you barely speak to the people you are standing next to, it's more fun to fly that way. It's like dancing. Dancing is fun, right? So why don't you do it at home by yourself? It's more fun in a group for some reason. And then there's the team stuff... :cat_luv: Way fun. That's similar to choreographed dancing.

I've got 2 duals, both blue moons. Lovely kites. But I almost never fly them. I do like them a lot, they are very relaxing to fly. But truly, how long can one be entertained flying loops? Huh, maybe I'm missing something.

See, this is you with revs. (I do know there's plenty more to duals, don't shoot!) Yes you're missing something, but I wouldn't worry much about it until you get bored with duals. And when I get bored with revs, I know there's a whole dual world I'm missing out on, so I can go explore that. The vented is probably my favorite, you're not missing out on anything on that account.

The social aspect is a draw. But even besides that, it's just more fun to put several revs up in the same airspace. Even if you barely speak to the people you are standing next to, it's more fun to fly that way. It's like dancing. Dancing is fun, right? So why don't you do it at home by yourself? It's more fun in a group for some reason. And then there's the team stuff... :cat_luv: Way fun. That's similar to choreographed dancing.

That's part of it. All I know how to do with a Rev is flying patterns and holding hovers in different positions. Fly real fast and stop inches before hitting the ground. That kind of thing. I know there's a way to do an axel, or a flic-flac... but is there anything else ? It's all in the precision of the hovers, right ?

If it's all about the social aspect of it, that's where I get lost. No idea why no one else flies where I live, but they just don't. It's a sad waste of lab-grade perfect wind.

I derive my enjoyment from flying the Rev in changing orientations compared to the direction I'm traveling in. For example, traveling horizontally while the Rev is upright, traveling horizontally with the Rev facing backwards, etc. Then doing it all smoothly... Flying in this manner provides near endless variations and combinations of position and travel.

Tapatalk 2 ~ Android

The social aspect is part of it, for sure!! Most of us Revheads have something for just about any wind condition, so we use them for just about everything! Sorta like how you build an arsenal of dualies for different winds!! I find light winds are the most challenging, that's when some of the feel I developed as a dualie flier, carries over!! So too, does some indoor touch!!

I don't remember the distance thing (I haven't been back there for 25 years), but are you close enough to fly with the Jersey crew? They have regular flies on the Jersey beaches, maybe get in touch with some of them!! Easiest on the Rev forum, just post a question!!

It took me 6 hours of driving last summer to go hang out with the Jersey crew. It's not distance, it's just traffic. Plus $20 in tolls & gas... I never really get more than 2 or 3 hours of fly time per week, so something like that is like a months worth of flying time. When I did go to meet up with them, it was SUL wind, so I had to fly dual line. (the Zen would be my next choice of Rev) I did have to show them that I had a Rev in my bag so they would let me hang out with them. 8)

A great bunch of people, and Ben D. happened to be there that day, too.

I got the one rev in my bag, a SLE 1.5 for the day it blowing to had for freestyle with a dualies.

But all that may change with the news IQuad is coming down under.

A training session before the Redcliffe Kite Festival need a better Rev than a SLE. I could go a Barresi vented.

I starting my saving now.

I got the one rev in my bag, a SLE 1.5 for the day it blowing to had for freestyle with a dualies.

A training session before the Redcliffe Kite Festival need a better Rev than a SLE. I could go a Barresi vented.

IQuad coming Down Under!! Details.... Confirmation..... Dates..... Defibrillator....

IQuad coming Down Under!! Details.... Confirmation..... Dates..... Defibrillator....

hers the link. http://ourvillage.com.au/event-details.php?eid=87

• 2 weeks later...