KiteLife Forum

Subscriber Number?

Dust

Aye, the affliction extends beyond KiteLife... Not sure why, something in my gut says we've become more of a spectator society, less folks as quick to take the "long road of learning", also more buried in debt and other life worries, shrinking middle class, etc... I could be totally wrong on some of that, but it does come to mind.

That being said, I do have good luck at increasing the ranks (KL and kiting) when I'm able to get out in the field and dedicate my time more fully to the task. :)

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update... :)

11 - @gsonzogni (renewed)
926 - @Leslie Kerr (renewed)
972 - @Mstroke2012 (renewed)
1028 - @Treen03 (renewed)
1247 - @dougie
1248 - @povlhp
1249 - @chrisslondon
1250 - @revaholic

Note, renewed indicates a subscriber who had lapsed for a spell and come back.

I signed up on the 17th, but I guess I will get my number on the next round.

As for why I signed up, it was mostly for the extra Rev series tutorials, and partly for the raffle.

Subscriptions are either by the hardcore guys, not the occasional kite flyer like me, or guys like me who wanted the value added content (Rev tutorials). To keep members, new exclusive content should be added regularly, or there is not any real benefit in paying over being a free rider.

I have found more forums, one more US, one British, and a German that I all follow for now + there is the official Rev forums. So this is just another, but with a little prime content worth paying for.

• Like 1

Sorry, not sure how but I skipped a couple of names and jumbled the numbers on my last post - updated now.

1248 - @povlhp

I agree on the regular content, time, conditions and venue are always the challenge - serving as AKA President for nearly 2 years, leading iQuad and publishing KiteLife magazine had me pretty out of my mind (almost literally), then we took a 5 month sabbatical driving around the USA... My schedule is far less hectic now, and this spring should see a TON of new content being added on both the dual and quad line sides, as well as tutorials covering team maneuvers (movement and calls), dogstake, 360s and lots of other topics you just won't find anywhere else.

Your support is appreciated - thank you, I'll do my very best to validate it on my end through the coming year.

Regards!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last year at the festivals I attended, I probably gave out over 300 cards to "interested" spectators. I can't count but one for sure that has caught the kiting bug. Everybody seems to love watching, but few are willing to put the time in that pays off in any real ability to get control of the kite!

Yes, I make it look easy, but I also spent many hours to gain that control! How many are willing to spend that much time or energy??

I love your optimism, Mark!

I'm being dead serious. All anyone has to do is give the handles to someone who is interested and help them long enough to be able to take off and land. Then just go to the kite and flip back on its feet after they crash for a while. The addiction then just takes care of itself.

P.S. - The guys practicing with their power foils are easy game.

• Like 1

I love your optimism, Mark!

I'm being dead serious. All anyone has to do is give the handles to someone who is interested and help them long enough to be able to take off and land. Then just go to the kite and flip back on its feet after they crash for a while. The addiction then just takes care of itself.

P.S. - The guys practicing with their power foils are easy game.

I didn't think you were being flippant, nor was my comment. It is precisely folks like you (and your optimism) that we should all look to as an example of what's needed to grow kiting. You saw getting 1 or 2 out of 300 as 1 or 2 successes, not a whole lot of failures. 500 more fliers would truly kick ass. I'm going to make it a personal challenge to get 2 new fliers bitten by the bug before the end of the year.
  • Like 2

I had one guy come back to the beach after showing him the lines. He was sporting a brand new Rev EXP... gave him some pointers on how to set it up and get it off the ground. I hope to see him again when the weather gets warmer ! That's one hooked, hopefully !

• Like 4

I hope I helped someone on his way to catching the kiting bug today. I saw him looking frustrated with his lines and reprimanding his kids to stop getting in the way of his lines. I hesitated for a bit before approaching them, since I couldn't really tell if he was new to sport kites or maybe he was just having a bad day, but eventually my desire to help won and I went to say hi. Turns out, they just got the kite yesterday and asked if I could teach them how to get started. Sure, I was happy to. Even told them about BASKL's clinic next Sat. Well, he finally gets the kite in the air and it keeps turning right, ok...maybe lines need to be equalized. They were just a little bit off, might not really have needed equalizing, because once we went to reattach the lines to the kite, we discovered one of the bridle legs was wrapped around a spreader. Duh, that will cause the kite to turn right. Anyway, sorted that out, and he was keeping the kite in the air in no time. Don't know if he will catch the bug, or disappear after a while, but we can hope right? He did say he was about to give up before I showed up, so I think a little help went a long way in this case. :)

• Like 6

I hope I helped someone on his way to catching the kiting bug today. I saw him looking frustrated with his lines and reprimanding his kids to stop getting in the way of his lines. I hesitated for a bit before approaching them, since I couldn't really tell if he was new to sport kites or maybe he was just having a bad day, but eventually my desire to help won and I went to say hi. Turns out, they just got the kite yesterday and asked if I could teach them how to get started. Sure, I was happy to. Even told them about BASKL's clinic next Sat. Well, he finally gets the kite in the air and it keeps turning right, ok...maybe lines need to be equalized. They were just a little bit off, might not really have needed equalizing, because once we went to reattach the lines to the kite, we discovered one of the bridle legs was wrapped around a spreader. Duh, that will cause the kite to turn right. Anyway, sorted that out, and he was keeping the kite in the air in no time. Don't know if he will catch the bug, or disappear after a while, but we can hope right? He did say he was about to give up before I showed up, so I think a little help went a long way in this case. :)

I'm really keen on the "almost" fliers... Folks who DID cross the line, got a kite, gave it a try, but were discouraged by unknown problems like those outlined by dragonfish above, or just never had a chance to see the real possibilities... Just takes one non presumptuous encounter with someone in the know to free the sky and set the imagination ablaze.

I love this group, y'all are awesome. :)

• Like 2

It's nice to just go over to someone flying a kite of any kind and say, "hi". At least then they know that they are not alone, and that other flyers are a friendly bunch. Most of the time the help you give is very basic. Perhaps they will be able to help someone else who's having the same problem they had. Paying it forward is good and feels good. I think that may be what makes kiting addictive.

• Like 2

I seem to recall, Mr. Barresi, that you and a Rev had a very similar experience when you first started. Did someone point out to you that you had the verticals on the wrong side or did you figure it out yourself?

I did have a similar experience, first Rev I bought... Flew with the sticks on the wrong side for six months, then gave up and sold it.

Only because I was already traveling to kite events (competing) in kiting's hey day (200+ competitors at many events) did I end up noticing the problem... Came *that* close though, to never flying Revs again. :)

• Like 2