KiteLife Forum

Folding tips

Dust

What causes a wind tip to fold up and and bow-tie for a spin or two before popping back out? Is is just too much reverse input on that hand? too little or incosistant winds? combination of both? the more i get to fly the less it seems to happen, but it happens alot more than id like it to, an thought it almost always recover-able, it would be nice to figure out what causes it exactly, so as to no longer repete it.

Dust

Yeah mate, most common cause is too much reverse. Kind of a half wing flic flac! Careful about getting a wing wrap, that is where the bottom line wraps around the bottom of the vert end cap.

Have you let out your top leaders? That makes the kite a bit more stable.

Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

The good news is that yes, that will gradually go away. I agree with Rob. I think it is caused by handle movements that are more extreme than they need to be. You are telling one side of the kite to do one thing and the other side to do something else. <<Think small inputs.>> You can only reverse so fast. Too fast, and with uneven inputs, and over one wing will go!

• Like 1

Ok, that makes sense. I didnt know it had a one speed reverse (more or less). I was trying to reverse a bit faster than it goes.

And as far as my lines, ive got the on the second knot from the end, almost as long as they can go. I found that one knot from the tip works well for me, and still allows for nice smooth dive stops. when i have them on the 4th in, i couldnt ever get it to stop before hitting the ground. Haha

LOVE this sport. Im going to convert this city to quad lines. Just wait and see. :)

Ok, that makes sense. I didnt know it had a one speed reverse (more or less). I was trying to reverse a bit faster than it goes.

And as far as my lines, ive got the on the second knot from the end, almost as long as they can go. I found that one knot from the tip works well for me, and still allows for nice smooth dive stops. when i have them on the 4th in, i couldnt ever get it to stop before hitting the ground. Haha

LOVE this sport. Im going to convert this city to quad lines. Just wait and see. :)

Don't think of it as "one speed" reverse as this isn't the case. Reverse is essentially the same as forward but due to the shape and construction of the wing it doesn't have a congruent surface to move the wind. Too much reverse can cause the wind to catch the sail either side of the vertical rod and load the back side of that wing.

You can vary your reverse speed but it takes practice. I'm still learning the "oops too much" point.

Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

Not sure what sail you have (?), but I find this situation much more likely to occur with the full sail, than with either the mid-vent, or the full-vent sails. I suppose those vents work both ways, but for sure, if the wind catches too much of the backside of a wing tip, it's going to "fold", or flip on you.............

As for your lines, not real sure (based on your post), what you have connected to what, or where? As for your handles, usually, the lower leaders (brake) only have a couple of knots, while the top leaders (drive) may have more like 6 or 7 knots. Most people will actually extend those upper leaders, or replace them entirely with their own, longer leaders.

Based on a standard set of B-series handles, I would normally (personal preference) begin flying, with the brake (lower) lines connected to the 2nd, or last knot out (about 2 "out), and the top lines connected to 6th knot out (next to the farthest out). That still allows for two more adjustments, to increase your brake and dump a bit of wind, should things get somewhat lively, later on. Remember that letting the top line out one knot, is basically equivalent, to bringing the bottom line in one knot (or close) - it gives you one adjustment, to increase the brake. Doing both (top line out one knot & bottom line in one knot) adds two adjustments at once, increasing the brake twice as much (or close). You'll have to determine what is most comfortable for you, but that's a decent starting point...........

Take a look a some of John's tutorials, but specifically key in on where his lines are attached to the leaders.

Happy Flying...............

• Like 1

Based on a standard set of B-series handles, I would normally (personal preference) begin flying, with the brake (lower) lines connected to the 2nd, or last knot out (about 2 "out), and the top lines connected to 6th knot out (next to the farthest out). Happy Flying...............

It is a Std "Full sail" Pro B. And based on your description is exactly where ive landed after experimenting with all extremes, so i must be on the right path. Also ive got many of his vids downloaded and watch them frequently, specially about the tuning theory. The more i fly the more it all makes sense to me.

I think it was simply me trying to make it reverse faster than it was ready for, or even lack of proper pressure duing sail loading. Back to the fly fields! ive got more learning to do. :)

• Like 1

Yep, I thought that it was probably a standard sail. I always had problems with the standard sail - well not really problems, but I did notice that I experienced this problem more frequently, with the standard sail, than either the MV or the FV. This seemed to be true with the SLE's, the B-series, and with the B-Pro. It's just so easy to over correct, or over compensate, and when you do, the wind gets behind that wing tip, and voilà, reverse, or "fold", or flip. As was mentioned before, think "small", when it comes to input. A little bit goes a long ways........... :ani_victory:

Take care and hang in there.................. :ani_weightlift: