KiteLife Forum

Great day but a bad day flying

JustMe

Well today i was able to drive to the other side of Maui to pass on what little knowledge i have quad line flying on to molokaiboy. The wind was 0 to ten at best. We set up my 1.5 SLE with the race frame and 90 lbs 75' LPG lines. Molokaiboy know knows how to launch and land. Doing great learning Les.

Now for the bad part of my day. I drove to the park next to my house and the wind was doing 20 plus. Set up my b series vented with the same lines and tryed my 4 Wrap SLE frame in it. It it was verry sensitive so i landed and parked the kite and was digging the three wrap frame out of my bag. Here comes the bad part a dirt bike rider who dosent belong riding in the park comes over the hill and in to my lines. He gets all tangled up and drags my kite along the ground. The good thing is that the bottom lines break and he takes off. The bad thing is now i am out of a new set of lines my equipment is not even a week old. Sorry folks i just had to vent

I remember a dirt bike rider riding through a game of catch I was having with my father when I was a kid. More than once, and there were other places he could've been riding. On his third or fourth pass, my father nailed him with a fastball in the side and yelled something I wasn't supposed to repeat. Last time he rode through...

• Like 2

Thanks for the help. I can't imagine how much of an idiot I would have looked trying to go it alone with no experience. With your help I'm off to a better start than I would have alone. After a great morning I felt bad to hear what had happened in your neck of the woods. Glad your kite wasn't demolished and even happier that you weren't injured in the process. Dang dirt bikes just don't belong in the parks. I am just glad your daughter wasn't with you.

Look to sky and keep flying!!!

Aloha,

Les

No biggie Les. Now you have to come to pukalani to fly its doing 20 gusting to 28 again I think I need to buy a full vent and a vented rev II. Hehehe any ways I made a set of temp lines out of fishing line until my LPG lines come in then time to make a few more sets of lines

Hey JustMe,

Sucks about your lines. I had the same problem with some moped riders on Oahu. Wish everyone gave the same respect to each other as surfers do. .... I just got into flying Revs a few months ago. Went to WSIKF and had an awesome time. If you are ever on Oahu, hit me up, and we can fly together!

If i am ever on Oahu i will hit u up. I just ordered some LPG bulk and will make new ones no biggie i am glad no one got hurt. I made some temp lines out of some firewire fishing line works ok seems to have a little strech in it . Only needs to hold me over for a few days so i can live with it. Where do you fly on Oahu?

Hi JustMe, I usually fly at Sandy Beach Park. Many people fly kites there on Sundays, but the rest of the week the field is clear. Tradewinds are strong at Sandy's so I too am looking to buy a vented kite. I also like to fly in Kapiolani Park in the early evening as the sun is setting. The winds there are obstructed and much slower than Sandy's but I can usually get in a good session before sunset after the sports teams clear the field at 5pm.