KiteLife Forum

So many choices!

jaypozo

Hello to everyone from beautiful British Columbia. I recently contracted the kiting bug on a visit to Cannon Beach Oregon where I spent $30 on my New Tech Ignitor. I've been flying it for some time now and have decided that I'd like to be try a bigger kite. A local store recommended the Prism Fanatic, and another local store has the Prism Quantum in stock, and for less money. Which of these two would you recommend and why? Prism's description of the Fanatic makes it seem more of an advanced kite under the right conditions, materials and tunability being the main advantages. Any suggestions on these or other beginner sport kites? I don't want to have to spend a ton of money buying multiple kites if I can spend a little more now (hopefully under $200) and have something good to start with that will take a few steps up when I'm ready.

Thanks in advance,

Jay Pozo

Hey Jay,

I am sorry to hear that you contracted such a bug, very difficult to cure...

Right now the Premier kites are the hot ticket. Both the Nighthawk and Magnum out perform their retail price by a long shot. Both are fully trick capable, both are well built, both come ready to fly and both Highly Recommended over the Prism's.

If you do go with Prism... Go Fanatic... A little harder to fly in the beginning but the reward is much greater.

Good luck!

What are the winds like at home?

The fanatic is a really small kite. Good for tricks but will punish you if you're a little off with your technique

The quantum isn't trick friendly.

The Nighthawk is small (still bigger than the fanatic) but capable of doing most of the new tricks. I saw RonG and LamH spanking that kite round.

The Magnum is a good sized kite. It needs about 7mph (or more) for precision. The Magnum tricks nicely in 5mph. The rods are P300 so it'll take some punishment... But it'll need more wind to fly it.

If the winds are low in your area, you might want to consider a UL.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here's where you can say "I told you so"!

I bought the Quantum mainly because I was more familiar with Prism's presence, and the Nighthawk was fairly new. That was over a month ago. Two weeks ago I bought a Nighthawk when I saw one sitting in my local shop, and I am loving it! It flies nice in lighter wind - more so than the Quantum in my opinion. I also like the way it feels at the end of the lines, especially for the tricks that I know and the ones that I am learning. I'm glad I bought the Quantum first though, because I think the oversteer on the Nighthawk would have hard to deal with right off the start. The Quantum is easy to "drive" around the window - like a Cadillac as opposed to the nimble feel of the Nighthawk, which requires more attention from me when I'm bailing out of tricks and just plain manuevering around.

ikky - the winds here are up and down, we get pretty much everything. The two parks that flyers frequent out here are on bodies of water though, so a steady wind can be had when it blows from the right direction. I also picked up a Flashlight for light winds, but haven't flown it much as the Nighthawk can stay in the air with just a little bit of wind and the winds have been there the times I've gone out.

I'm looking at a Magnum next - I really like the smooth, almost floaty feel the Nighthawk has and I'm hoping the Magnum will feel the same. Damn bug!

I´ve got so lucky to win a Phoenix Supreme here at the monthly sweepstakes.

This kite is my second and the first that I have that is at the competition level, is a great kite, very easy to handle, needs mid winds 5 mph to 25 tops. Is a real eye catcher and the normal price is about 130 USD.

Give it a try, you wont be dissapointed.

http://ralf.naujoks24.de/phoenix-inside-e.html

Have a good day

Jorge