KiteLife Forum

i have a standard what next?

Cyphert

Aye, as Dave said - STD and VTD is the most versatile 2-kite combination, as the wind ranges of those two do overlap, particularly if you have the three major frames to interchange (Race, 3-wrap, 4-wrap)... The MID hits the SWEET SPOT between those two and has a very real place in my bag, but pound for pound, if you want to fly with just two kites, go with the STD and VTD. ;)

• Like 2

For outdoors - a std and a f/v offer the best combo of versatility! :ani_yahoo: You can add the mid later on! :ani_victory:

The indoor is a specialty item for indoor use, got a place to use it? I'm very lucky to have found a place that lets me fly a couple times a week! Just ask - finding a place to fly is one of the hardest things about indoor!! :ani_giveup:

The MID hits the SWEET SPOT between those two and has a very real place in my bag, but pound for pound, if you want to fly with just two kites, go with the STD and VTD. ;)

No questioning that logic, here. I was originally thinking about having just "one" kite, and trying to stretch it out, in both directions. My mistake ! :cat_sick:

• Like 2

thanks for all the input! i think ill go midvent next. i was thinking about getting an indoor to fly in my yard as there is no wind most the time. but i could get a zen but then i wouldnt have the indoor for indoor. and the indoor is cheaper. im trying to find a place to fly indoors. thanks for all the good advise quick fast like a bunny.

Nothing wrong about wanting a mid, that was my first "B" too! But a word of warning - don't be tempted to put too strong a frame in it to combat high winds! You can stretch the sail beyond some simple bungee tightening and it ain't coming back!! That's why the f/v is recommended as a second, you can handle the top end of the wind speed charts!!

I've not tried my Indoor, outside yet! Got an SUL for that little wind, but the Zen is on my "next" list !! :ani_wallbash:

• Like 2

...whats a SUL? k VTD is next on the list. well next would be mastering the STD but i have noticed its a bit twitchy in moderate to higher winds. i only have a race frame now so ill get the next one with either the 3 wrap or the 4 wrap (said like i know what im saying). the VTD looks best in my colour choices so im happy to get it next.

...whats a SUL? k VTD is next on the list. well next would be mastering the STD but i have noticed its a bit twitchy in moderate to higher winds. i only have a race frame now so ill get the next one with either the 3 wrap or the 4 wrap (said like i know what im saying). the VTD looks best in my colour choices so im happy to get it next.

SLE SUL is a SLE series Super Ultra Light. Basically a 1.5 SLE sail pattern made with lighter sail cloth, lighter leading edge pocket (I think?) and a lighter weight bridle. Factory wind range states 1-10mph.

Rob.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

• Like 1

Be advised though, 95% of the "pro fliers" don't use a dedicated "SUL"... Most top pilots simply have the STD, MID and VTD sails with a variety of frames and lines... Within iQuad, there is such thing as your kite being too light... There is a point, where a certain amount of weight is useful for inertia, momentum and maneuverability.

Even the Zen, we use very rarely, generally favoring a STD with Race frame.

• Like 3

YES indeed! SR is correct on the kite! And I understand John's point, as I've flown with him before! The SUL is very nice as a solo flyer, if you need something that flies in really light winds, but doesn't put quite as big a dent in your pocket as a Zen! In solo flying, you don't need to carry as much momentum through maneuvers as you do in team flying! A std, with the correct frame, in the hands of a good flier, will fly in almost the same wind ranges as an SUL!! And that's why I have one, an SUL that is, I'm not as good - YET!!

Matt - don't be tempted to buy and use too strong a frame in your std, you'll risk stretching out the sail! Reason for getting another!!

• Like 1

looking forward to the VTD it going to match my STD well. its crazy how much i learn with just one post on this forum. i was so confused coming into the revs and now it all making sense. anything with a JB next to it is good! next i need to figure out the spars or frames as the rev community calls them.

race

3 wrap

4 wrap

seems to be the basic ones i need. i have a race are they just light med and heavy winds and same in the VTD. race in the VTD for lighter winds? as i have only flown with the race i dont know the difference in feel. and as the VTD is the next one im getting what would be the best frame for it?

Also, handy reference by Watty...

http://revkites.com/kite-product/revolution-spars-rods

If I had to pick *just two frames*, I'd say Race and 3 wrap (STD and VTD sails), knowing I'd top out at around 17-18 mph.

Add the 4 wrap, you're good to 25 mph or so, with a good tug on the lines.

fames are cheep enough i can pick up the 3 and 4 wrap with the VTD sail. i think ill be pretty covered for most things. more then that is just showing off... so ill be getting more later im sure. i look forward to the day i find the limit the rev can take. something beautiful about snapping a spar in flight.

• Like 2

Sounding like a .22 gunshot, the verticals are the first to go under high wind pressure, LE breaks are more likely with impacts.

Nice thing about breaking verticals, the go back and out, away from the sail...

I once broke one spar into 5 pieces, a single high wind pressure incident.

Fore! Shrapnel incoming!

• Like 1

Green race rods, imho, are "Race rods for dummies"... A *tad* heavier and more flexible, they're a little tougher than black Race rods.

On iQuad, we never use the green Race rods - just not the right spring, we like the snap and pop we get from the black ones.

Besides, they're STILL damned hard to break and can sustain some basic (non terminal) crashes when learning in light wind, especially if you have ANY idea where your brakes are, to soften the impact(s).

• Like 2

i wouldnt have thought the leading edge would have gone first. i have a tendency to play in super high winds when i get the chance. are SLE spars more saved for the extra vent? whats my max on the VTD sail? my buddy gets 30mph plus and that sounds like fun. i normally break line before i break spars but ive broken plenty. ive never given myself many option normally just one sale and a heavy and light set of rods.

SLEs are VERY rarely used by anyone with high range Rev skills (exception being Fabrice Baldan and a couple others), because a bone-straight leading edge (SLEs don't really flex) don't allow the kite to take it's ideal shape and airfoil... Need a little flex in there, to make everything dynamic and working together.

SLEs make the kite accelerate much faster off the line, forward corners (like flying a square) exhibit oversteer, as do clock turns (can be overcome with enough practice)... All in all, I just don't feel like my kite "hugs" the wind with SLEs... On iQuad, we say "SLEs are only used for tomato stakes and corporal punishment".

Again, it all comes down to taste, but you can look at what the ace fliers (anywhere) are using on average, and get a good idea of what's what. ;)

Max on a VTD sail with 4-wraps, I'd say about 25 mph, but the sail will start to stretch a after 10+ hours of that, and you'll really have to control your flight speed so it doesn't load up too fast... Breakage isn't really the concern here, it's the affect deformation of the frame has on performance.

To achieve high level of performance within the kite, it comes down to a balance of the right flex, weight and spring in the frame.

You can also DOUBLE your leading edge (3-wrap and 4-wrap slid in alongside each other), but it's a little rough on the sail and honestly, if the wind is that high you'll just be abusing your sail's integrity.

My sweet spots, approximately (Race = black rods):

STD PRO w/Race: 0-6 mph

STD PRO w/3-wrap: 4-8 mph

MID PRO w/ Race: 5-12 mph

MID PRO w/ 3-wrap: 6-15 mph

VTD PRO w/3-wrap: 10-16 mph

VTD PRO w/4-wrap: 12-18 mph

XTRA w/3-wrap: 15-30 mph

XTRA w/4-wrap: 18-40 mph (it's pretty dumb to even be flying at 40 mph)

If you don't see a sail/frame combo listed, it's probably because I don't use it.

• Like 1