KiteLife Forum

What test line on B2 or Rev II ?

Reef Runner

What test line do you use on your B2 or Rev II ?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What test line do you use on your B2?

• B2 Standard Sail - 50 pound test
    • B2 Standard Sail - 90 pound test
    • B2 Standard Sail - 150 pound test
    • B2 Mid Vent Sail - 50 pound test
    • B2 Mid Vent Sail - 90 pound test
    • B2 Mid Vent Sail - 150 pound test
    • B2 Vented Sail - 50 pound test
    • B2 Vented Sail - 90 pound test
    • B2 Vented Sail - 150 pound test
    • Other (please comment below)
  2. 2. What test line, do you use on your Rev II ?

• Rev II Std Sail - 50 pound test
    • Rev II Std Sail - 90 pound test
    • Rev II Std Sail - 150 pound test
    • Rev II Mid Vent Sail - 50 pound test
    • Rev II Mid Vent Sail - 90 pound test
    • Rev II Mid Vent Sail - 150 pound test
    • Rev II Vented Sail - 50 pound test
    • Rev II Vented Sail - 90 pound test
    • Rev II Vented Sail - 150 pound test
    • Other (please comment below)

During a recent discussion, under another heading, the subject came up, concerning line strength, and which to use with the B2. I was wondering what many of you, have found to be best suited, or most appropriate, for each of the different versions of the B2, or your Rev II (std, mid & vtd).

Please feel free to vote in the poll, for each configuration that you are familiar with, and for both the B2 and the Rev II, should you have either, or both. Also, please share any comments that you will, below.

As for myself, I have never used anything other than 50 pound test, on my standard sail B2, or on my standard sail Rev II, so I would really be interested to hear what everyone else is using.......thanks

This topic may have been discussed, somewhere back in the archives, but if so, I couldn't find it.

Kick off. <br />When I first got my B2 Std I used #150 x 80' because that is what the shops recommend be used. I just figured because you could develop a fair amount of sail pressure you needed the extra strength in the lines. But as I got used to the kite I find I now use #90 with the 2 wrap frame. I use the #150 with the 3 wrap frame. I only have the 2 frames. <br /><br /><br />Tapatalk for iPhone.

The kite shop here in Oz recommended #150 as that is what they sell with the Rev2. But based on you guys I may have to invest in some #50 line. Length recommendations, anyone? Or is that the next pole Nick? :cat_lol:

Related, I remember pulling my B2 out as the wind was becoming a little too large for my 4-Stack and for about 5 minutes I couldnt feel anything on the end on the lines! Seriouly love that little beauty! :ani_yahoo:

Another thing, I'm using a "real" computer instead of my iPhone and I've just noticed your titles; Kite Romantic and Fair Weather Pilot, thats gold gentlemen.

Rob

The kite shop here in Oz recommended #150 as that is what they sell with the Rev2. But based on you guys I may have to invest in some #50 line. Length recommendations, anyone? Or is that the next pole Nick? :cat_lol: Rob

I think everyone, likewise, has their own favorite line length, but as I make up all my own line-sets, I've got several different lengths, that I make up in each of the different strengths. I normally make all of my flight lines (both dual & quad), in 50 pound, 90 pound, and 150 pound tests. For the quads, in each of those strengths, I'll usually make up four different lengths. My length preferences are 50 foot, 80 foot, 100 foot, and of course, 120 foot, with 100 being my go-to line, most of the time. As in my original post, I use the 50 pound lines with my B2 & Rev II standard sails. I normally use the 90 pound lines with the 1.5's, and the 150 pound with the Rev I's, or with the 1.5's, should I want to slow them down a bit. I'm sure that everyone has their own length / strength combination, that works best for them depending on the conditions.

As for B2 "length" recommendations, in 50 pound test line, I'd suggest a 50 foot short set, and then you'll have to decide on a 100 or 120 foot set, for your long lines.....(if only one set, I'd get 100 foot).......but that's a personal preference, and I'm sure others will comment further, so just get one of each :cat_lol:

(I suppose that we are wondering away from the main topic here, but it's all good, I suppose)

• Like 2

I'm sorry Rob, but putting 150# on a Rev II of any kind is like thethering a fly with rope - WAY heavy and overkill.

May be that they are a great shop, but that recommendation would make me suspect of their knowledge.

No more chaining that baby down.....

True story John, 2 of the guys I've delt with there didnt know who "this John Barresi joker is"! I had to tell them where the "Barresi" in the Barresi Series Revs came from!

• Like 1

Rob, you know where to go when you have a question then. Maybe you could convince them to give you a side job with all of the knowledge you're gleaning from here and the Rev forum.

When I describe stuff to friends I am starting to quote the Rev web pages word for word. It's a little scary sometimes.

• Like 2

50# 80' just seems right (to me) with both Rev II full sail and B2 mid-vent - even in heavy wind the B2 mid-vent flies light and responsive. (and quick) :greedy:

I haven't tried a mid-vent, but I would think that unless the wind was really up, 50# should be fine. I have flown my standard sail in winds, that I know it wasn't designed for, and 50# is all I've ever used. I'm thinking about a vented B2, now, but with this new give-a-way that John's got going on, I just don't know whether to go for it, or not, (just yet)......... :ani_whistling:

• Like 1

So I made up some 50# sets..50',80',30'. Went out for my Sunday kicks. I put the 1.5 up first with 80' set in 4/5mph steady....unbelievable! I knew right away that with the Rev 2 it would be the same. Although it was tough to put the 1.5 down...i did, and put the rev 2 up for about 40min.

I still have some issues with control with the Rev2 because i don't fly it that much unless the wind is up... but this was the lightest wind I have used it in. Stable flight with good control, could "feel" the kite much better than with 90#.

So I made up some 50# sets..50',80',30'. Went out for my Sunday kicks. I put the 1.5 up first with 80' set in 4/5mph steady....unbelievable! I knew right away that with the Rev 2 it would be the same. Although it was tough to put the 1.5 down...i did, and put the rev 2 up for about 40min.

I still have some issues with control with the Rev2 because i don't fly it that much unless the wind is up... but this was the lightest wind I have used it in. Stable flight with good control, could "feel" the kite much better than with 90#.

Are you using 13" or 11" handles?