KiteLife Forum

Beginner Kite Suggestions?

underground260

Hey everyone, I'm new here and to the world of kites. I was thinking about purchasing a Prism 1.4, and was wondering if that is alright for a beginner? Also should I purchase extra string or any other accesories? I was kind of suprised by the high prices on line for kites on Amazon. I was just curious if they wore out/broke quickly? Which I sure hope not. Thanks everyone and I would love any other suggestions!

• Like 1

Hey, the Prism 1.4 comes as a complete package. It's a great starter kite because it is really responsive with good wind, it has a long tail, and there is no frame so you can stuff it in a small bag. The downside is sometimes one of the air cells can burst a seam if it hits the ground too hard. It will still fly, but it will eventually degrade the kite until you fix it. I have one, its a fun kite!

Hey everyone, I'm new here and to the world of kites. I was thinking about purchasing a Prism 1.4, and was wondering if that is alright for a beginner? Also should I purchase extra string or any other accesories? I was kind of suprised by the high prices on line for kites on Amazon. I was just curious if they wore out/broke quickly? Which I sure hope not. Thanks everyone and I would love any other suggestions!

G'day underground360,

I reviewed a HQ Symphony Beach 1.3 in the reviews section. Similar size foil. All I can say is they are great value and lots of fun! Robust as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. I guess you have to figure out what you want to do. I have the 1.9 snapshot. The foils are fun kites, but that's what you will get from them. If you want to do tricks, that's not what they're for. If you want an arm puller the 1.4 will be too small. The Prism numbers refer to length, not sq meter size of the sail. the 1.2 and 1.4 are good for smaller people and kids. If you want real traction kiting move up to the 1.9 or 2.5 or the tensor series. There are also many other brands of smaller foils out there and trainer traction kites too. As far as durability, since the Prism foils don't have any solid spars there's nothing to break. I have smashed mine into the ground on many occasion with no damage other than dirt. I love it as an arm puller. I like flying mine in high winds when it's too windy to fly stunt kites. One time I was flying with a buddy on the beach. A weather front came through and the wind got up to 30mph with gusts of 40+. It was a blast. Suffice it to say a 270lb guy dug into the sand and storm winds didn't end well for the kite lines, but that is not typical nor recommended. I replaced one line and was back flying. Nothing wrong with the sail at all.

As with anything, kites require a little bit of care and maintenance, but not much. They should last you a loooong time. There are some kiters who have had kites for decades.

If you want a stunt kite, well that's an entirely different story....

The Prism kites seem to have less pull then the HQs, size for size, to me at least.

I personally like my Ozone Imp 1.5. Cuts sharper corners than the Snapshot 1.9, which I also own. But I like HQ and Prisms color selections better....

Anyways, they are all fun but I think you might want to look into getting a Revolution kite. Tough as nails, easy to setup/breakdown, they do amazing stunts, great sail patterns/designs, they are staffed by amazing people, and a wonderful online community to help you get going - perfect for a beginner!

Besides, you don't want to pick up any nasty dual line habits that you'll have to break when you ultimately come over to the Dark Side :o XD

Android OS ~ Tapatalk2

HQ and Prism are both high quality companies. You would be happy with the Symphony. One thing to keep in mind, if you fly in high wind, you might want to make sure to have some padded or contoured straps.They'll be more comfortable and easier on your wrists. The thinner straps tend to dig in.

PS. Buying on the bay is fine, but there are many kite shops (sponsors here and elsewhere) with excellent personal service that will help you find exactly the right kite for you. They will also be available for follow up questions and service in case you have any issues. I've learned over time that saving usually only a couple of bucks up front is no substitute from having resources to help you later on. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah. One final thing. The Prism Snapshot 1.9 comes with 300# lines. The HQ Symphony 2.1 comes with 220# lines. Something to keep in mind for the winds you're flying in.

• Like 1

Where to start!

Are you tied to choosing between foils or are you interested in other types of kites? All depends on what you're looking for out of your kiting experience! Why not give us a few of your ideas and it might help us, help you, to make a better decision! :ani_idea:

HQ and Prism are both high quality companies. You would be happy with the Symphony. One thing to keep in mind, if you fly in high wind, you might want to make sure to have some padded or contoured straps.They'll be more comfortable and easier on your wrists. The thinner straps tend to dig in.

PS. Buying on the bay is fine, but there are many kite shops (sponsors here and elsewhere) with excellent personal service that will help you find exactly the right kite for you. They will also be available for follow up questions and service in case you have any issues. I've learned over time that saving usually only a couple of bucks up front is no substitute from having resources to help you later on. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah. One final thing. The Prism Snapshot 1.9 comes with 300# lines. The HQ Symphony 2.1 comes with 220# lines. Something to keep in mind for the winds you're flying in.

Yeah, padded straps... here's a photo representation of why...

post-786-0-77225200-1361297203_thumb.jpg

Where to start!

Are you tied to choosing between foils or are you interested in other types of kites? All depends on what you're looking for out of your kiting experience! Why not give us a few of your ideas and it might help us, help you, to make a better decision! :ani_idea:

I was kind of leaning towards foils since those were the first ones while looking at them. Also I kind of like having more pull, thinking that would be kind of fun, but I also like the ability of doing tricks. I just didn't want to spend too much on my first one. I live in Indiana, so I don't have many places to go except for parks. I wish I knew what I wanted, but honestly I've never flown any type of kite lol. Anyways I just want something that is easy to start with. Hope that somewhat helps!

Helps a bunch!

Foils will definitely pull!! Easy to fly, many with no spars to break if crashed, but not very trick-able!! Loops and back and forth type of flying!

2 line stunt kites! Depending on what you get - have the ability to do every trick you can do! There are many in the $50.00 - $100.00 range that will do very nicely!! Beware of any much cheaper - you get what you pay for!! Cheap can mean crap that disappoints and makes for a very unsatisfying experience!

Quads - a whole different experience! Not cheap to get into ($200.00), but will last a very long time, if handled well!

Not meant as a plug - Prism makes several types of 2 line kites in a great price range that can do what you might want, very well! That's both trick kites and foils! Like I said earlier, it's really what YOU are looking for out of your kiting!

Only you can make that choice, friend!!

• Like 1

If you're getting a foil as an entry to kiting, then go ahead and get the smaller one. You can let kids or smaller people use it. There are several manufacturers that make entry level kites. Prism is the largest. I suggest lurking on forums for a while and reading everything you can before determining what you should get. Don't shop, but learn first. Search the forums because those questions have been asked many times in many different ways. Then know what you want and you will be able to shop for a new or used kite that fits the bill.

• Like 1

I started with the snapshot 1.2. Very durable...gave a beating every weekend for a year.. now it resides in the daily back pack for those "certain" days.

Great starter and comes complete. For sure to get your moolahs worth from it...and when its boring..pass it along or save it as I did.

Several not very good videos of the 1.2 a minute and under on my YouTube channel.... Mystainedskin

If you would like to see the abuse and flight first hand.

I think small foils are great to start with. Learn the wind window and get used to reacting to kite movements....

• 4 weeks later...

For static flying - I'd say the ideal wind for that size foil would be somewhere between 6-12 mph gusts up to 16... Anything below that might be under powered, anything above that would pull on my arms too hard.

Have fun, I began my love of sport kites on a similar sized foil :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hey! Did you ever get the kite you were looking for? Prism and HQ both make great kites for a great price. I would bite the bullet and get one from a dealer instead of bay. The dealer will help you later, bay won't. Some folks that sell on bay have changed lines, handles or found other ways to sell cheap. The biginner doesnt know the differance but usually has a hard time flying. I had a guy in our town bought a REV online. He couldn't make it fly. So we went out together. The lines and handles he had were not the correct ones for a REV, but ones they could pickup cheap. When I put my real REV lines on his kite it flew great. He then had to buy new line sets. Ended up costing him more then if he had bought it from a dealer in the first place, not to mention he would have been able to fly with less hassel.

Hope you are flying high

I am a beginner as well, I started flying in May, so I've only got a couple months experience, and with the great wind and weather I've managed to fly just about everyday... of course I'm retired... but I bought a HQ 1.4, to start for a quad cause I had back fusion and didn't want to press my luck... well I'm here to say Its wonderful and the muscle that has been working has helped my back. Also the size was just right... not to much pull but just enough to get the adrenalin pumping ... hope my experience helps... cheers :ani_victory:

• Like 1